Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey vs. Black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going through this choice, too. The car-builder on the website makes the grey look a lot darker than it really is. I thought it was a dark grey/pewter sort of color, which would have been a nice, but not too big, change of pace from my last two black cars. But then I saw in-the-wild photos and drove one on a test drive and was surprised how light it was. One both me and my girlfriend thought was light blue (until I remembered that wasn't an available color).

Then again, I've always been a "but the layer of dirt will protect the clear coat" kind of guy so keeping it perpetually waxed has never been a concern of mine. (I didn't even know swirl marks were a thing until reading this forum! :) ) Plus, here in Lubbock even the best wax job is covered in dust within 10 minutes.

I'm doing research on waterless car washes, though. Would a good wax coat, clay bar, or whatever make it easier to do something like "dust" the lighter stuff off the car, making it easier to go a while between actual washes?

Back on topic, I agree with texex91, gotta go black. Even a little dirty, I imagine black would still look good. Seems like grey would just look "meh" unless it's car show polished.