Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GREEN EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome! Thanks! Now off to register on Monday the car and start the process!

Well I can confirm you can get the NJ Green pass regardless of the state you live in. Per NJ EZPass website: "Discounts are offered to customers of the NJ E-ZPass Program, regardless of their state of residency"

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html#calc

Not sure about the Port Authority one, but I would assume the same.

Happy to report that NJ Turnpike Green EZPass has arrived last week with only a single fax to the provided number being sufficient. Still not quite sure what the level of discounting on it is, but it does look green so there you go.

The PANYNJ Green EZPass was a PITA as expected. I faxed in my information (Registration, Certificate of Origin showing 0-cylinders - Electric) to the number I got when I called them. Two weeks later, no dice, and checking the website, no additional tags on the account. I called back, and predicatably they said they did not get any faxes from me. The lady on the line spend a long time talking to some folks and finally found a fax number that her coworker can check right away where I promptly re-faxed the documents. I am happy to report that as of Thursday a new tag is now showing on the account, and I am anxiously waiting for it to arrive. But good sign! I may avoid the drastic step of showing up to their office in person after all!

Quick question for those who have successfully managed to get NY and NJ Green Passes. I currently have NY thruway Regular EZ pass account. When I tried to get the green pass I get an email saying the account I have (MTA NY EZ PASS) is not eligible for Green EZ pass and I either have to signup for different account (Port Authority NY EZ PASS). They don't make this easy. My question is For NY thruway which site do I signup for? Also, how do you signup since it doesn't have the option for green tag online when you sign up. You you get a regular tag and signup and then request green tag?

Last edited:
Quick question for those who have successfully managed to get NY and NJ Green Passes. I currently have NY thruway Regular pass account. When I tried to get the green pass I get the email saying the account I have is not eligiblen for gree pass and I either have to signup for different account. They don't make this easy. My question is For NY thruway which site do I signup for? Also, how do you signup since it doesn't have the option for green tag online when you sign up. You you get a regualr tag and signup and then request green tag? I only need one greentag an no other tags in NJ

I actually created a completely different account. (well a bit different for me since NJ and NY ezpass sites/accounts have absolutely nothing to do with each other , other than having a similar URL with the name 'ezpass' in it, lol).

I already had my NJ EZpass which I faxed in my info and that came first. The NY one is more difficult. Well, technicall you need the PANYNJ ezpass aka the port authority one. I think they have four different service centers. Only 1 of them actually processes the Green EZPass applications. Printing the app out and faxing it in didnt work for me. I dont think the fax number for the service center that processes the green ezpass is posted anywhere. ( i dont even know which one of hte four it is). I physically stopped into the service center on Staten Island, who told me that they do not process those apps there, but they would "mail" my application to the right place. So I just handed it over to them and it came a week or two later. I dont know if they took my app and refaxed it, or if they actually used the mail system. But my point was that the only luck I had was when I physically went into one of the port authority ezpass service centers for assistance. good luck ;)

Ok I Called them and here is what I have: There are 2 types of NY EZ pass Accounts MTA and Port Authority. For the Green EZ pass you need to have Port Authority Account. I was told since I have a MTA account I can open a second account (port Authority) and get a regular tag and then apply for green tag. I could then cancel my MTA account and return the white EZ passes and get new White ones for my other cars. I hope I have this right.

Driving to their physical location is a no go since I live 5 Hrs away. They said I can print the physical application online and write a separate letter stating I want an account with Port Authority and not MTA. Then after I have an active Port Authority account I write a letter asking for a Green TAG and a copy of my Registration.

Last edited:
It worked. I opened a second account (Port Authority) and sent a letter stating why I was opening additional account and that I wanted a Green EZ pass. I also included copy of my Tesla Registation. Vioala I get a green EZ pass in the mail within a week. Now I just need to open NJ EZ Pass account and apply for NJ Green Ez pass. No rush on this since I'm waiting for Superchargers in Syracuse and Albany.

dratfik, the NJ EZ pass site says the Green Pass discount expires November 30, 2013. Can anyone confirm if that's true?

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html#calc

I also noticed the PANYNJ program requires NY vehicle registration... bummer since we still have our very old TBTA-issued tags from when the program was first introduced in NY but no longer live there.

this was extended another 5 years to 2018.

Hi, might be NY specific Question - has anyone received their GREEN EZ-Pass? When I say Green, I literally mean it is green in color and offers 10% discount in tolls.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/greentag.html

I submitted paperwork months ago and it seems there is no way to track progress or even confirm I'm in the system.

Yes....just remember its not for all NY tunnels and bridges, just ones run by NY Thruway, not MTA...well at least mine is...i don't see one universal green ez pass available that provides discounts in NJ and NY

and mine never works through my windshield, never, i have to open the pano....supposedly NY is working on a license mounted version according to my local Tesla SC manager, but nothing yet. I have an early VIN without the coating pass through...very frustrating.

Last edited:
so after numerous calls and faxes to EZpass for my green pass, i decided to fax my application again to 2 different numbers and send 2 applications with delivery confirmation to Ezpass in staten island and one to Albany, after a week of sending in i finally received my Green Ezpass, but they sent me the wrong freakin one......they sent me the Port Authority One when i specifically asked for (BOLD LETTERS ON WHAT I SENT IN) the NYS Thruway one.....called ezpass and they said i would have to re-apply for the NYS thruway and cancel my Port Authority one.....SMH

so after numerous calls and faxes to EZpass for my green pass, i decided to fax my application again to 2 different numbers and send 2 applications with delivery confirmation to Ezpass in staten island and one to Albany, after a week of sending in i finally received my Green Ezpass, but they sent me the wrong freakin one......they sent me the Port Authority One when i specifically asked for (BOLD LETTERS ON WHAT I SENT IN) the NYS Thruway one.....called ezpass and they said i would have to re-apply for the NYS thruway and cancel my Port Authority one.....SMH

dude I got the run around so many times over the phone, the only effective way I got it done was driving to the correct service center and getting it done in person. I faxed it to a bunch of their fax numbers i got on their web site but they had no record of any of those. they are a mess and unorganized.

dude I got the run around so many times over the phone, the only effective way I got it done was driving to the correct service center and getting it done in person. I faxed it to a bunch of their fax numbers i got on their web site but they had no record of any of those. they are a mess and unorganized.

Which service center u go to?....not sure if I should just keep this port auth green pass and just suck up the $1 service fee each month of try to get the thruway one. Smh

Which service center u go to?....not sure if I should just keep this port auth green pass and just suck up the $1 service fee each month of try to get the thruway one. Smh

i went to the one on staten island but it was the wrong one as they don't process the green ez pass applications there. it was one of the other ones in NY but I don't recall which one.