Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green charge-port door in the morning???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have the power coming to your house analyzed. You may have the same issue that I did. Waiting too long may result in a burned out PEM line fuse.

Specifically have your electrician look for line spikes.

I ended up picking up a UMC off the boards here and charge the other tesla off that, no problems thus far. The cutting in and out would only occur when the car was being charged on a hot day and the fans would race at the highest speed.

My experience is the same as when you get home and connect. Even though my "start charging" time is 10:15 - it will use a few amps for a bit - get battery temps correct and if the interior electronics are on (I.e. someone in driver seat - this is huge btw - if you are trying to maximize your charge rate, let the car shut down and sit in pass seat :) You can watch it do it's thing and then it flashes blue. I promise you it is either battery heating or temperature control of some sort. If the car is unlocked it will show the current draw on the dash. I am pretty sure that green means current is flowing - even though it's minimal it lets you see that it's flowing. Just my 2 cents...

AJ

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that locking the car will make the charge port dark. Reading the original posting, I assumed that if Daniel usually locked his car, then he'd never see the green light, but if he left it unlocked a few times then it might seem different.

In any case, I've had inconsistent results with the green light. I use the timed charge, not the charge on plug-in. My assessment is that it shows green for up to about 12 hours after charging, but then stops. I realized this when getting up early and catching my car shortly after it had finished a long charge over night. The timed charge also affects other normal behaviors.

Last edited:
I think that the green light stays on when the car is fully charged and it hasn't gone to sleep. So, you'd ordinarily see it only for a little while after the charging stops. However, if it's decided to do battery balancing it might stay on for a long time.