Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended - damage does not look too bad but how should I proceed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got rear ended like at 1mph, it was more of a scrape from the person behind me. It was a hit and run and the dash cam footage does not show the license plate unfortunately. It looks as if there is no dents and it's just swirls and paint rub from the other car, I can feel some minor scratches on it. I didn't file a crash report since the officer was telling me that the damage looks so minor it would not be worth taking the depreciation hit and have a crash on my carfax.

How should I proceed? I'm thinking about taking it to a detailing shop to hopefully be able to get fixed and paint corrected or should I go through insurance/Tesla?
IMG_1608.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpeg
    IMG_1613.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 186
Without seeing it in person, no idea what it would cost. If dented at all, they may want to replace panels and repaint. That earns them the most money.

You might also try any highly reviewed body shop. There is nothing Tesla specific I’d worry about from the photos.

You could also pickup some polishing compound or very fine cleaner and try a small area.

Without seeing it in person, no idea what it would cost. If dented at all, they may want to replace panels and repaint. That earns them the most money.

You might also try any highly reviewed body shop. There is nothing Tesla specific I’d worry about from the photos.

You could also pickup some polishing compound or very fine cleaner and try a small area.
Is it fine to bring it to 3rd party shops or should you only stick with Tesla certified places for body work? Just to make sure the paint matches perfectly

If you are willing to give it a try yourself and potentially save some money, I would try using some nail polish remover to get rid of the paint (I did it on a microfiber) and then if there is a dent, a cheap dent puller on amazon sometimes works (they really aren't great, but can remove some dents).

I did that method on a family members Toyota, and I was surprised with the results that I got for around $25.

Is it fine to bring it to 3rd party shops or should you only stick with Tesla certified places for body work? Just to make sure the paint matches perfectly
A good shop should be able to get matching paint.

I would try polishing compound on a clean towel first. Rub gently. Rotate to clean part of the towel frequently. It looks to me like most of that is the other cars paint.

If that doesn’t do anything I’d call a detailer before acetone or a body shop. I’ve never tried acetone so cannot comment. Body shop is going to want to fix it like a body shop fixes things, replace and repaint.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I'm hoping a detailing place can restore this like new with a few hundred dollars. Do you know how much something like this would cost from a Tesla partnered collision shop? Wondering if I need to get my insurance involved.
Tesla will replace the rear bumper fascia for $840 for the pre-painted part plus $120 labor...It took just a few hours from drop off to pickup...

Attachments

• RearBumperReplacement.jpg
    RearBumperReplacement.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 118
  • Informative
Reactions: davewill and brkaus
If that's just paint from the other vehicle, you could try Goo Gone Automotive
This is an excellent idea! Auto insurance is used by policy holders too often when they could pay for the simple repair themselves. Not involving the insurance company saves you from possibly having a rate increase and depending on your deductible could cost you more at a body shop to "color correct" the blemish. Be honest, if it is a daily driver it probably won't be the last time you get a scuff on your bumper. I have had my 2021 LR AWD (41k miles) now for a bit over a year and there are rock chips in the paint and in the windshield, but it is a daily driver not a show pony so I don't care.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I sent the pictures to a mobile retailer and he said it’s fixable. Im going in person to another detailing shop later today to have them inspect and hopefully buff it out and apply color correct.

The scrape happened at like 1-2mph. There are no dents whatsoever but my eyes feel like the panel right above the rear bumper is slightly pushed in like 1mm? Maybe im going crazy but should I take this into a body shop to have them disassemble the bumper to see if there is any damage underneath? Any sensors or sensitive parts in this region of the car to be worried about driving a safety hazard?

Is there a dent on the rear quarter panel or just the reflection? PDR probably can fix that if that's a dent. A good detailer may be able to use touch paint to fix the scrapes for an almost original finish.
In the first pic? It’s just a reflection of a building in the parking lot I was in. The panel itself doesn’t have any bumps or dents but my paranoia is telling me the panel above the bumper got pushed in like 1mm? The 2 panels are not perfectly flush but I guess good enough. The other side that didn’t get hit at all is similar with a slight bump when running your finger from the rear panel to the bumper. Maybe just came like that from the factory?

In the first pic? It’s just a reflection of a building in the parking lot I was in. The panel itself doesn’t have any bumps or dents but my paranoia is telling me the panel above the bumper got pushed in like 1mm? The 2 panels are not perfectly flush but I guess good enough. The other side that didn’t get hit at all is similar with a slight bump when running your finger from the rear panel to the bumper. Maybe just came like that from the factory?
I wouldn't worry about the 1mm differences, Tesla's panel not aligned is a feature :)

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
I have a $9-12k dent in my rear quarter for the past 3 years. Parking lot accident with lots of finger pointing :(

Decided it’s easier to just live with.
$12k damage from a parking lot accident? Glad to know Tesla doesn’t put any sensitive tech near the body panels that could get crushed or bent but how does that kind of damage happen in a parking lot?

Are you still driving around with a huge dent in the back of the car? Something like a Tesla would make me go insane with driving around with an eye sore on a beautiful car

@MrMime2 yup. Still driving. Didn’t scratch. So when it’s clean you can confuse it as a reflection. I was hit in the side right in front of the taillight by an SUV. Pointless dent guy said he couldn’t do anything, it was a hard hit near some of the creases and pit too much energy into reshaping the whole panel. Even though the dent isn’t huge.

@MrMime2 yup. Still driving. Didn’t scratch. So when it’s clean you can confuse it as a reflection. I was hit in the side right in front of the taillight by an SUV. Pointless dent guy said he couldn’t do anything, it was a hard hit near some of the creases and pit too much energy into reshaping the whole panel. Even though the dent isn’t huge.
Ah ok, my scrape was near the charge port so that’s why I’m a little cautious. Didn’t realize any small dents like that it could cost so much money. I’m just hoping the panel didn’t bubble in and dent some internal component.

I’ll keep this thread updated when I go to the detailer and post what it looks like after