Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good or Bad Time to Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time (August 2016) we got our Model X they introduced 100, AP2, and FSD hardware in October that year. I'm wondering if there's any predictions of anything new coming this year? Should I wait till Oct/Nov to buy?

Yeah yeah, i know, anytime is a great time to buy. This'll be our 4th Tesla (and I can't even remember how many cars at this point), I'm not an amateur. I did have a lot of FOMO when they announced EAP though :)

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Last time (August 2016) we got our Model X they introduced 100, AP2, and FSD hardware in October that year. I'm wondering if there's any predictions of anything new coming this year? Should I wait till Oct/Nov to buy?

Yeah yeah, i know, anytime is a great time to buy. This'll be our 4th Tesla (and I can't even remember how many cars at this point), I'm not an amateur. I did have a lot of FOMO when they announced EAP though :)

I feel for you. The same thing happened to me after I bought my MX weeks before all those changes started happening. I am holding off on getting my next MX until after battery investment day. I could see the possibility of some significant battery improvements coming in the next year.

Reactions: byeLT4 and roopesh
I feel for you. The same thing happened to me after I bought my MX weeks before all those changes started happening. I am holding off on getting my next MX until after battery investment day. I could see the possibility of some significant battery improvements coming in the next year.

I'm pretty sure Musk said the 500k lifespan batteries would be 1 million miles "in a year"

Tesla incorporates new features into production when they are ready, not on a schedule. It is not like other car manufactures and their model year improvements.

We got lucky and they started shipped MCU2 4 weeks after we ordered and 8 weeks before we picked up the car. But they did kill the color combination we ordered in that time. And also made the Premium upgrade ($5,000) standard equipment 4 weeks after we picked up the car. So, I am not sure one can ever time Tesla feature introduction.

Totally agree @jboy210 . On my Model S I got the refresh and HEPA even though it released after I ordered. It's not like I'd be sad getting a MX right now. I do think range is the biggest thing for me; 400+ miles would be awesome because then I'd have a practical 300 mile range.

Do you need a car now or not is probably the single most important question. EAP/FSD thus far hasn't been a complete gamechanger from your X. It will continue to improve overtime, but at this time I have just been using basic summon and AP and gave up on NoA and autolane change till its more reliable.

I wasn't in the market for another Tesla but ended up buying because I scored a unicorn deal after being notified by my OA. Almost unbelievable but got a demo P100DL X, 6 seat, white on white, 22 inch wheel, free supercharging, FSD for $82k+ taxes and will get the $3750 federal credit. Original MSRP was over $160k and I believe with all the price drops its still around $125k when configured similarly. If you find similar deals I say its never a bad time to buy even if there is a huge upgrade a few months later as your car won't depreciate as heavily compared to paying MSRP.

free supercharging offer is a ploy to clear out existing Model S and X - I think something new (redesign of the S/X) is coming just around the corner - at least an interior refresh. This was alluded to by LikeTeslaKim's videos as well.

Elon Musk has said both on twitter and in the earnings call recently no major interior refresh coming soon. If that's what you're waiting for, I doubt it will happen for at least a year, maybe longer.

Elon Musk also said that giving free unlimited supercharger service is "not really sustainable." Model S and X, again, are being offered with FUSC. I don't know if a refresh is coming (I believe there are signs indicating something is on the horizon) but this just shows Elon is doing his utmost to move cars. A company cannot move cars if buyers sit on the sidelines thinking a refresh is coming.

@turtlesz Mind sharing your OA's contact info?

Sorry I posted it last time and he got bombarded with too many requests and asked not to share at this time. Between Teslashowroom deals Facebook page and other online places more and more people are learning about discounted cars. To get these unicorn deals it helps being a previous owner and to call your local showroom and ask about inventory cars and ask to get setup with a OA. I wasn't in the market for another X but was tempted to upgrade my LR 3 when I heard end of 1st quarter some P3Ds were being discounted 8-12k. I decided not to upgrade our 3 as we loved it and switching cars was a hassle. I said we would be looking for a LR X w 6 seats in the next year or 2. Every so often he would text me a discounted car and finally last quarter he told me about one with a 80k adjustment after free ludacrous upgrade and I couldn't pass it up.

Sorry I posted it last time and he got bombarded with too many requests and asked not to share at this time. Between Teslashowroom deals Facebook page and other online places more and more people are learning about discounted cars. To get these unicorn deals it helps being a previous owner and to call your local showroom and ask about inventory cars and ask to get setup with a OA. I wasn't in the market for another X but was tempted to upgrade my LR 3 when I heard end of 1st quarter some P3Ds were being discounted 8-12k. I decided not to upgrade our 3 as we loved it and switching cars was a hassle. I said we would be looking for a LR X w 6 seats in the next year or 2. Every so often he would text me a discounted car and finally last quarter he told me about one with a 80k adjustment after free ludacrous upgrade and I couldn't pass it up.

I seen your post on a different thread about scoring this deal. I actually have been contacting a few different OA since then and have seen deals on Model S P and LR with significant discounts. I have not run into any deal on the X yet. Hoping I strike on something next month, similar to what you you got.