Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
4.jpg

It would have been cheaper to buy an iMiEV and get a tow truck for these 12 gasoline miles.

Rants Aside, The Volt is Actually Earning Raves -- And it's a Hit - Forbes

It turns out that Michaels is not only wrong, he’s fairly spectacularly wrong. The Volt is the 133rd most popular car sold in the U.S. out of 262 total through the first 8 months of 2012, according to Timothy Cain at Good Car, Bad Car. In other words, it’s the “median car” — half are more popular, half are less popular. Given that it’s an entirely new kind of vehicle, expensive and demonized by people with an often strange political agenda, that’s fairly remarkable.

A guy at work is complaining about 10% loss of battery range in his Volt. It's the first such complaint I've heard. The people on the mailiing list are putting it down to unseasonable cold weather here, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed or heard of such a trend? It's not a very old Volt, less than a year and a few thousand miles. At first he tried to blame it on a Tesla owner who prematurely unplugged him (which I agree was rude, but I don't believe it could permanently damage a battery).

It was my impression, possibly false, that the battery is unlikely to show capacity loss for some time. GM hides a significant portion of the battery capacity at the bottom and top of the state of charge range. I thought I remember hearing GM people saying that potions of this shoulder SOC be sacrificed to preserve the owners access to a full 10 kWh. Does any one else remember seeing this while watching the many technical presentations posted to YouTube?

I have been driving my Volt for over two years and 22,000 miles so far. I see as low as 22 miles in single digit (F) temperatures, and as much as 58 miles in ideal weather (and 40-50 miles running A/C in the summer). This makes it difficult to tell if range is reduced due to battery aging. However, I have not noticed any reduction in range yet. I have reason to believe (but no proof) that GM will use a slightly wider SOC swing to hold the available energy constant for the first 1-3 years, but expect range loss after that. At least owners will still have useable EV range, and a range extender to finish longer trips. The battery warranty is eight years (or 100,000 mi, I think), but I don't think it would cover slight loss of capacity.

GSP

My commute is 90% highway with an average speed of around 65 MPH, but in my 2012 Volt, between 40 and 75 degrees I get between 35-38 miles per charge,between 30 and 40 degree I get between 30-35 miles per charge, and below 30 I get 25-30 miles per charge (normally closer to 30 than 25). Above 75 degrees, I tend to drop back down to 30-35, depending on how much I run the AC. My all time high on one charge is 42.7 miles, and that was due to doing significantly more city driving than normal. I think with a 100% city driving charge, it would easily be over 50 miles EV range. Outside temperature and speed by far play the biggest factors in range for the Volt, with tire pressure being a distant third.