Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM and Cruise announce first mass-production self-driving car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'll still wait until I hear more from Mary Barra. She rarely plays the 'marketing hype' game.

If Chevrolet and Cruise were making 500 AV Bolts a month, she would probably have mentioned it.

First cars were hose clamp and duct tape Nissans. Then pre-production Bolts, not all exactly alike. Then they produced 130 identical units from production retail parts, not retrofits, from Body-In-White forward to a finished Bolt AV using an assy line. G1/G2/G3.

But we will see. When Lyft offers AV taxi service in SF, we might know more, but probably not.

There is quite an interesting discussion about Cruise on YCombinator which seems to suggest it's all still vaporware: Cruise's 3rd generation self-driving car | Hacker News

Some of the comments:

Cruise employee here. throwaway for obvious reasons. It needs to be said that this is entirely marketing smoke and mirrors. The Cruise platform is significantly behind most other players in the market, and is having many many technical problems because of shortsighted leadership on Kyle's part, including high level people quitting (the head of planning and controls left last month because of Kyle, and more are threatening to quit) The reason I'm saying this is that this sort of public "everything is fine, we are the best" posturing leaks inwards. The opposite is very much true. Employees are very upset with Kyle because of things just like this. I make no exaggeration when I say Kyle is a mean-spirited, selfish person in private, and is very quick to publicly take credit for the work of others that he has emotionally and verbally abused. It's truly one of the most toxic environments I've ever been a part of.

From my discussions with a friend with intimate knowledge of the software side of Cruise, there is wild skepticism within the co that they even have the hardware needed to go L4 or L5. Big promises being made to GM by Kyle which is leading to smoke and mirrors to distract/buy time from more critical problems "under the hood."

I've been speaking to friends working at different companies across the self-driving industry, and almost all of them have their fair share of skepticism of L4 or L5, including those who are actively researching in the field.

The main reason for this is that current self-driving tech has plateaued with most companies going with the redundancy based approach (let's have 3 LIDARs instead of 1, and make that 4 IR sensors on each side instead of 2 etc.) simply because there is no revolutionary new tech that is a panacea to current L1 problems.

Sadly, explaining this to investors is next to impossible, so everyone keeps selling the same idea with a few more whistles as the next big thing while everyone is waiting for the big tech breakthrough that makes actual self-driving cars possible.

Until then, expect many more controlled environment (eg. airports or freeways where traffic is mostly smooth flowing, or roads with perfectly marked stop signs and pavement paint).

There is quite an interesting discussion about Cruise on YCombinator which seems to suggest it's all still vaporware: Cruise's 3rd generation self-driving car | Hacker News

Some of the comments:

Hacker News....a great source for reliable information I'm sure. Lol

"Until then, expect many more controlled environment (eg. airports or freeways where traffic is mostly smooth flowing, or roads with perfectly marked stop signs and pavement paint)."

The streets of San Francisco with bikers (and even raccoons) qualify as "controlled environments" with perfectly marked stop signs and pavement paint?

• Funny
Reactions: McRat
Hacker News....a great source for reliable information I'm sure. Lol

"Until then, expect many more controlled environment (eg. airports or freeways where traffic is mostly smooth flowing, or roads with perfectly marked stop signs and pavement paint)."

The streets of San Francisco with bikers (and even raccoons) qualify as "controlled environments" with perfectly marked stop signs and pavement paint?

We shall see. Google / Waymo are the most advanced and are at one disengagement every 5,000 miles or so, which is not good enough. I doubt anybody has self driving software. And by that I mean software that works 99.999% of the time (even that may not be enough). The problem is not normal day to day driving, it's the edge cases. I am fine with people disagreeing with me, but I bet the January 2018 DMV disengagements report will reveal a lot. My opinion is that the last 1% of FSD development will take 90% of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: dow

Some of the comments:

Unlike many automakers, GM's boss is an electrical and automotive engineer with high levels of experience in running factories at the floor level, managing said factories, human resources, supply chains, design, and of course being a CEO. She is not a stupid as most auto CEO's when it comes to the nuts and bolts of technology and how to get it in customer's driveways.

"Big promises being made to GM by Kyle which is leading to smoke and mirrors to distract/buy time from more critical problems "under the hood."" Bull.

There was a Jump Off The Cliff day. Mary reviewed what Cruise could do from both the floor, and from inside the test cars. But only after a lot of research did she show up, and nearly by ambush. Mary knew very well what the V2V and Geomapping systems GM had running that day were doing in separate GM division.

She was going to make the decision to jump off the AV cliff that day by focusing 50% of their engineers on EV/AV tech, or putting it on a steady diet for future use or focus entirely on Cadillac. At the end of the day? "Let's do it. Let's make AVs now."

When asked by the press when AV is coming? "Sooner than you think."

Believe it or not. Your choice.

Exaggeration and outright lying is very common at the CEO level in the industry. Mary doesn't have time for the "men beating on their chests or bragging about the fish they caught", she measures results like an engineer, not a CEO trying to get investors.

Last edited:
We shall see. Google / Waymo are the most advanced and are at one disengagement every 5,000 miles or so, which is not good enough. I doubt anybody has self driving software. And by that I mean software that works 99.999% of the time (even that may not be enough). The problem is not normal day to day driving, it's the edge cases. I am fine with people disagreeing with me, but I bet the January 2018 DMV disengagements report will reveal a lot. My opinion is that the last 1% of FSD development will take 90% of the time.

Waymo has nothing to go coast to coast. In fact, most their 'miles' are virtual or closed course at under 75mph. Actually under 45. Waymo cannot yet produce or even select a decent automobile yet. That is a WHOLE lot of the puzzle. An AV nobody wants isn't as good as one buyers want.

• Disagree
Reactions: dow

If we are using demo videos as a measuring stick then Tesla is also very advanced in FSD. That is not really the case.

Below is the reality in California as of last year. None of the results are very good.

This is a touchy subject. As much as I love technology and I want self-driving ASAP, I do not want to end up a statistic.

Mjg2MDYzNw.jpeg

Last edited:
If we are using demo videos as a measuring stick then Tesla is also very advanced in FSD. That is not really the case.

Below is the reality in California as of last year. None of the results are very good.

Mjg2MDYzNw.jpeg

A lot has changed in 2017. The GM results you see were only 26 cars, 5 were Nissans. Nov 2016 logged a GM record 2284mi street miles with 6 disconnects. That's 380 miles per disconnect. There are now at least 150 more AVs on the road and it's been 9 more months of development.

However, California was only one of three states the testing is occurring on city streets, not including track testing.

How would you know it if you saw it? All current Teslas have the cameras and sensors in place, so the only thing that would need to be added would be software. More than once I have seen Teslas with California manufacturer plates at Superchargers in North and South Carolina.

Tesla Motors tends to be a 'forward looking' company. It is normal for them to announce future features, plans, and dates.
Their website shows a November video titled 'the driver is there for legal reasons only' for their Full Self Driving feature. We know that is not a 100% accurate description of the status yet.

There is nothing wrong with that, it's just a reminder that they are not shy about releasing info on features in progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: zmarty