Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gloss Black 20" Performance Wheels on MSM AWD Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model 3 with the aero wheels in March, and while the aeros are great for long trips and potholes, I intended on swapping them out since configuring the car (I did not like that the 19" option was not available with PS4s, either - all season tires are not really needed in SoCal). I asked in a few threads if putting P3D wheels on a non P3D would work, but did not see a definitive answer so I ended up calling Tesla directly. The guy on the phone was great and actually put me on hold so he could call one of the Service Centers who has done the Tesla upgrade package. After talking with the Service Center, he said that the 2019 AWD models able to accept the 20" wheels without any additional modification (such as fore links since MY19 cars have the updated version).

I found a good deal for new, and just powder coated 20" wheels, tires, and TPMS, and with the confirmation that they would work on the car without any issues, picked them up. After ~2 miles of driving the car with the new wheels installed, a message popped up on the screen asking if the wheel size has changed, and that was pretty much all that had to be done (still waiting for them to change my car and phone avatar, though).

Some of the major differences between driving with the 20" vs the aeros:

1. They are significantly heavier feeling (which I do not think is the worst thing since this car is really heavy to begin with).

2. The steering is so much better with shorter, stiffer sidewalls. My other car has PS4s as well and the low rolling resistance stock tires on the aeros did not feel optimal for such a fun car.

3. This set up is a bit more inefficient, but surprisingly not as inefficient as I would've thought. My commute to work with the aeros averaged 295 Wh/Mi (75.32%) and commute from work with the aeros averaged 184Wh/Mi (121.01%). My commute to work with the 20"s is averaging 310Wh/Mi (71.75%) and commute from work with the 20"s is averaging 196Wh/Mi (113.63%). I charge the car to 80% daily, so I am not too concerned about the lost efficiency, but it is less than I was expecting.

4. Bumps can definitely be felt more than with the aeros, and driving is not as carefree as before, especially with all the stories of bent wheels (with my other car being very low, it was nice having a car that did not require worrying so much about bumps... at least it does not scrape on driveways).

I still need to get rid of the chrome on the car (more gloss black) and get some tint (Huper Optik, not too dark), but I think it looks much better than before and am pretty happy with the wheels. Let me know if you have any questions, as I know it is a bit hard to find info on these (although they seem to disappear from the classified section pretty quickly).

IMG_0489.jpg

Reactions: Nocturnal
Thanks for the insights and the wheels look great! Couple of questions: where did you get the 20" wheels mounted and where did you buy the PS4s? Also, did the 20" wheels come with the center Tesla "hub"?
Thank you. I got the whole set, including new tires and mounting from a seller in Santa Ana (I believe he has sold a few sets on the forum). Great seller; I can send contact info via PM if you would like.

I took delivery of my Model 3 with the aero wheels in March, and while the aeros are great for long trips and potholes, I intended on swapping them out since configuring the car (I did not like that the 19" option was not available with PS4s, either - all season tires are not really needed in SoCal). I asked in a few threads if putting P3D wheels on a non P3D would work, but did not see a definitive answer so I ended up calling Tesla directly. The guy on the phone was great and actually put me on hold so he could call one of the Service Centers who has done the Tesla upgrade package. After talking with the Service Center, he said that the 2019 AWD models able to accept the 20" wheels without any additional modification (such as fore links since MY19 cars have the updated version).

I found a good deal for new, and just powder coated 20" wheels, tires, and TPMS, and with the confirmation that they would work on the car without any issues, picked them up. After ~2 miles of driving the car with the new wheels installed, a message popped up on the screen asking if the wheel size has changed, and that was pretty much all that had to be done (still waiting for them to change my car and phone avatar, though).

Some of the major differences between driving with the 20" vs the aeros:

1. They are significantly heavier feeling (which I do not think is the worst thing since this car is really heavy to begin with).

2. The steering is so much better with shorter, stiffer sidewalls. My other car has PS4s as well and the low rolling resistance stock tires on the aeros did not feel optimal for such a fun car.

3. This set up is a bit more inefficient, but surprisingly not as inefficient as I would've thought. My commute to work with the aeros averaged 295 Wh/Mi (75.32%) and commute from work with the aeros averaged 184Wh/Mi (121.01%). My commute to work with the 20"s is averaging 310Wh/Mi (71.75%) and commute from work with the 20"s is averaging 196Wh/Mi (113.63%). I charge the car to 80% daily, so I am not too concerned about the lost efficiency, but it is less than I was expecting.

4. Bumps can definitely be felt more than with the aeros, and driving is not as carefree as before, especially with all the stories of bent wheels (with my other car being very low, it was nice having a car that did not require worrying so much about bumps... at least it does not scrape on driveways).

I still need to get rid of the chrome on the car (more gloss black) and get some tint (Huper Optik, not too dark), but I think it looks much better than before and am pretty happy with the wheels. Let me know if you have any questions, as I know it is a bit hard to find info on these (although they seem to disappear from the classified section pretty quickly).

View attachment 397955
Looks great. we did the same - swapped the Aeros for 20s. How are you going to get your avatar changed? You just have to tell Tesla?