Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the issue on only the passenger side, as previously shown. Today service got back to me with a less than desirable note about my upcoming appointment:
"We found the blind spot camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product. And it's a characteristic that has been design enhanced in newer vehicle production. if you wish to upgrade to newer camera technology, you have an option to purchase the upgraded cameras and have them installed. We have emailed you a cost estimate for just the RH repeater camera." $232.73

I immediately replied and told them I do not accept the explanation, since it only occurs on one side that is not a product characteristic. I insisted they fix via warranty and am awaiting a response. I am not expecting to get a positive response out of this but would welcome suggestions on next steps assuming they refuse to help.

I immediately replied and told them I do not accept the explanation, since it only occurs on one side that is not a product characteristic. I insisted they fix via warranty and am awaiting a response. I am not expecting to get a positive response out of this but would welcome suggestions on next steps assuming they refuse to help.
Would be fun if they replied with something like: "We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the free features we have added to your vehicle since you purchased it. We are really sorry for the inconvenience and to prevent your further frustration we have removed them from your car. Thank you and have a nice day!" :rolleyes:

UPDATE - I just received the same canned response about the "blind spot camera performance on your vehicle is neither a defect of materials or workmanship..." note from the SC, and an offer for them to upgrade the cameras for a cost. I'm going to cancel the appointment and stand by to see how much traction this gets across the larger community. Will simply turn off the feature at this point, and tag it under the rest of the absurd choices that were made in the v11 UI.

Their latest response to me is that I may have a new camera on one side but not the other. My response to that is that is it tantamount to different brands of tires on the same axle and this alone constitutes a manufacturing issue. I have asked how I can escalate my warranty claim to a higher level of review.

Their latest response to me is that I may have a new camera on one side but not the other. My response to that is that is it tantamount to different brands of tires on the same axle and this alone constitutes a manufacturing issue. I have asked how I can escalate my warranty claim to a higher level of review.
Good luck. It seems it’s always the passenger side if it’s only 1 doing it. In my case I had a camera replaced 2-3 weeks after delivery, it filled with water in the 1st rain storm. They still pushed back with some cameras do it, so I sent them a video of what it looks like at night on my dark street and they said np they’ll take care of it and replaced it free of charge. Although when I showed up for my 1st appointment and the part hadn’t arrived.….. Second appointment I checked to make sure it was in before I came in.

Would be fun if they replied with something like: "We're sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the free features we have added to your vehicle since you purchased it. We are really sorry for the inconvenience and to prevent your further frustration we have removed them from your car. Thank you and have a nice day!" :rolleyes:
I tend to agree with your view. They promise software updates but that’s no guarantee that hardware will forever match software. (think cell phone). What are people going to do when future software allows updated batteries to do double range? Ask for a free battery??

They promise software updates but that’s no guarantee that hardware will forever match software.
Tesla:
All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver.
Also Tesla: Yeah, your MCU1 doesn't support FSD "yet". That will be $2,500 for a HARDWARE change if you want any chance of using the software you paid thousands of dollars for.

FYI, I followed @Tevo Solutions' video on one of my cameras. Thank you so much for all your work here.

I got some improvement, but nowhere near what they were able to achieve. Basically what they got out of the first step, but not the second, despite putting a LOT of black sealant in my camera in all the areas I could get to. It's still very bothersome at night. Going to try again soon on my other camera.
Can you see through the hole you made clearly enough to see exactly where the sealant ended up? As long as you don't get sealant on the clear repeater window, you can put quite a bit on in that area or maybe 2 or 3 coats would do it. Are you still getting glare at the bottom of the video window?
To remove glare at the top of the picture: cover the 3 small holes
To remove glare at the bottom of the picture: cover the strip along the top of the camera
If you're getting glare down the left or right of the picture you'll need to try and cover the strips along the sides of the camera.

If the light is beeding through a hole on the PCB that affects the camera how is this not a product defect? The issue was the design and the new design does not have the internal holes and thus no issue. How can Tesla claim this is not a product defect?

If the light is beeding through a hole on the PCB that affects the camera how is this not a product defect? The issue was the design and the new design does not have the internal holes and thus no issue. How can Tesla claim this is not a product defect?
I am sure Tesla will eventually replace them under warranty, just like the MCU1 EMCE repairs. It will just take a while.

Everything explained here:
I see quite some people are trying your suggestion and they get different results. I wonder if the light pollution could also come from other sides of that camera/circuit board. For that reason I wonder if you can try maybe an alternative solution to fill the unit with some kind of opaque electrical resin. Someone suggested the same but of course, you cannot fill it completely as you do not want to cover the light pipe and the actual light window. But maybe there is that right angle and right amount to inject inside so that all camera/PCB is covered. As you have the unit dismantled, maybe is worth exploring another alterative. Advantage will be that the hole can be smaller, in a less sensitive spot and with the right resin to cover the entire area between camera and PCB so, a more or less guaranteed result. The “risk” I see is covering the space between the LED and the pipe light plastic.

As long as the light bleed doesn't prevent the original use of the camera, for AP/FSD, then the design is fine. But how could we prove that the light bleed is causing problems for AP/FSD?

I am sure Tesla will eventually replace them under warranty, just like the MCU1 EMCE repairs. It will just take a while.
It took the NTSB threatening a non-voluntary recall of the MCU for safety reasons to get Tesla to do this. They pushed back hard. NTSB got to claim a safety defect as the MCU is used as the backup camera (legally required) and heater/defrost controls (also legally required).

The display of side cameras with blinkers on does not fit into any of this, and Tesla doesn't recall without being pressed. Tesla isn't even upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 for people with FSD even though FSD doesn't work on MCU1, so really doubtful they will recall for this.