Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting the 60D versus the 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way that's going to happen. The only reason they did it with the MS 40 was there were no other options available from Tesla at that price point or lower. With the 60D being canceled, you can still offer buyers a car for a lower price than what they ordered, just not with AWD. If AWD is a must have, then you pay more and get an 85D.

Totally agreed -- I'm sure also that they would sooner produce a very limited run of 60D's rather than "software limited 85D's" -- and they will in fact do neither.

There's no way that's going to happen. The only reason they did it with the MS 40 was there were no other options available from Tesla at that price point or lower. With the 60D being canceled, you can still offer buyers a car for a lower price than what they ordered, just not with AWD. If AWD is a must have, then you pay more and get an 85D.

You're probably right. However, I'm hoping that Tesla is thinking more long term and planing on phasing out the 60 kWh packs. While the 60 kWh packs are less dense/heavy than the 85 kWh packs, they occupy the same volume, due to the empty space within the pack. I hope that Tesla eventually exclusively produces 85 kWh "standard chemistry" packs and (potential) 110 kWh "premium chemistry" packs, which also simplifies SC swap stations. Both packs would occupy the same physical volume and, likely, have similar weight, but different energy density.