Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General question about sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to place an order for a Model X, any day now, and expect it to arrive in next few weeks. Last week I visited this thread for the first time and realized few Model X on sale here only had few hundred miles and I was curious why would someone sell it so soon after owning it. I can understand some of the sellers maybe wanting to get an Auto Pilot version 2 and maybe getting ride of pre October 2016 Model Xs but are there any other reasons for them to put it up for sale so soon?

Just wanted to make sure I have done my homework before I place the order.

Thanks in advance for the response.

Best!

Mine does not have a few hundred miles but a few thousand. I am selling mine because I don't drive it a lot and I am tired of the payments. I do plan on buying a used one next year that isn't going to cost me $100K+

Not sure about anyone else.

Mine does not have a few hundred miles but a few thousand. I am selling mine because I don't drive it a lot and I am tired of the payments. I do plan on buying a used one next year that isn't going to cost me $100K+

Not sure about anyone else.

Thanks for the response, Dough. Your's only has 6,750 miles, just wondering if that was a typo. Nice ride though!

So the next one you plan to buy again be a X, though used?

I believe people don't fully think through purchases and find themselves unable to pay for the car. Its a great car, and after test driving, I can see how people can make an impulse decision to purchase and then find ways to justify being able to afford an expensive car. When they are actually paying for the car, they find they are unable to maintain the lifestyle and try to sell.

Other people circumstances might have changed, job loss, job change, death in the family, etc. There are may reason why a person would sell after a few hundred miles. I would say its usually boils down to making a dumb choice.

• Informative
Reactions: SD_Engnr
There are many reasons someone might sell an almost new car. Doug has one reason. Others are the owner died and the estate is selling it, job loss, or some other life thing cropped up that forced the sale. People can also find they are in over their head and need to sell.

My SO is a bankruptcy attorney and many of her clients have expensive new vehicles they need to sell during the bankruptcy. She hasn't run into someone owning a Tesla yet, but one client had a fairly new SUV and a pickup each costing more than $60K and they didn't have anywhere near the income to pay for them.

I work from home like Doug and have only put 7000 miles on the car in 9 months, but man is it fun to drive when I do venture out! The Tesla has become our primary errand running car. I sometimes think about the expensive asset sitting in the garage only driven a few times a week, but I would only part with it if I had to.

Thank you you all for the response. This was greatly helpful. I also went through some of the 'For Sale' posting and it appears buying a used Model X is a good option too. I will keep an eye out if something comes along else I'll place an order with Tesla. I am looking for a Silver (maybe White if I can't find a Silver) Model X with AP2 in 6 or 7 seats configuration.

Thank you you all for the response. This was greatly helpful. I also went through some of the 'For Sale' posting and it appears buying a used Model X is a good option too. I will keep an eye out if something comes along else I'll place an order with Tesla. I am looking for a Silver (maybe White if I can't find a Silver) Model X with AP2 in 6 or 7 seats configuration.
Need a referral code? :).

Good luck with your purchase! I'm trying to get an X fit the wife.