Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carbon free aluminum production may be possible:

Alcoa created a new process for manufacturing aluminum that produces oxygen, rather than carbon dioxide, in the final reaction step to yield the world's first truly carbon-free aluminum production process. While the environmental breakthrough has major implications for the industry and planet at large, it could also transform the business as investors know it today.

Alcoa's Environmental Breakthrough Could Change the Face of the Company

"And with all the hoopla about the Model 3, no one has ventured anything on this at all. What are they doing over at TeslaMotorsClub forums? I was aware they were kind of simple minded, but they do go on and on and on and I would think SOMEBODY would have actually looked under the hood or something." :D

Whenever I read or watch Jack Ricard it is like my paternal Grandfather has been reincarnated.
I respect Jack a lot, but he probably shouldn't be calling out others for going on and on and on, just try to watch one of his videos

That tweet from Elon indicates that they are on track with profitability in Q3 and Q4. If they have an easing cash flow situation in 6-9 months to be able to offer leasing that is a big deal.

Replying to @Heretic_Soul @Model3Owners

"Leasing negatively effects Tesla cash flow, so we prob won’t offer Model 3 leases for 6 to 9 months. Loan financing is a better deal anyway, as bank conservatism for new car models is v conservative about residual value, but Teslas have always had strong residual value."

Elon Musk on Twitter

I respect Jack a lot, but he probably shouldn't be calling out others for going on and on and on, just try to watch one of his videos

He’s heard this before.

Jack Rickard’s Blog said:
We’re “too long sorry” for a very specific reason. I see in this case it didn’t work.

Which only increases my respect for him...

“Model 3 Performance order page progressively rolling out to reservation holders over the next week or so. It’s a really great car. Not saying that lightly. Test drive is a mindwarp. Aiming to have these as our first test drive Model 3 cars in stores within 4 to 6 weeks.” - Elon

Was not expecting this at all. Even adjusting for Elon-time this sounds very positive for reaching 5K/week target soon.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
“Model 3 Performance order page progressively rolling out to reservation holders over the next week or so. It’s a really great car. Not saying that lightly. Test drive is a mindwarp. Aiming to have these as our first test drive Model 3 cars in stores within 4 to 6 week’s.” - Elon

Was not expecting this at all. Even adjusting for Elon-time this sounds very positive for reaching 5K/week target soon.

This could also mean P3D deliveries will start early in July, pulling Model 3 ASP higher throughout the quarter, which favorably impacts profitability.

Also positive:

Screenshot_20180603-080458.png

@JRP3 thanks for bringing us the article on ALCOA breakthrough on carbon free aluminum production. And @RobStark your humor is understood, thanks.

As a long, and it is hard to imagine me a long since I am only 5’-5 1/2” tall, okay 5’-3” now thanks to all that running with and without a rucksack. Elon/Tesla opened some of its patents and the SP went up, but the real point is that the focus of Tesla is to improve the world we live in; so I can only hope that ALCOA can take that stand and share their discovery.

The media may or may not be kind here, so be alert. First, be aware of the current trade wars ~ god I get tired of the use of the word war, so the monitary aspect is critical. Then, put into perspective, and I am rummaging around in the attic and cobwebs here ~ so, I am hoping, against all hope I am correct; but remember Rombus (sp) RAM? They made a huge breakthrough on computer memory, and foolishly charged an arm and a leg for the RAM and found out the old fashion way that a good deal at too high a price will go the way of the dodo bird. A similar struggle occurred with Apple computers, I used to refused to buy an Apple computer, as did may others only to buy the IBM knock off at a lesser price running dos. IBM probably remembers the college dropout called “Bill.”

Politically the environment movement has taken it in the shorts ~ had to stop my humor there as it was taking me too far off track. Bottom line the press more than likely will agitate this environmental aluminum production improvement and click bate it to death ~ we just have to hope not.

As with many inventions; Edison vs Tesla; Wright vs Wrong, and countless others got lost in translation. Okay the last time I mentioned the Wright brothers, I spelled their name “Right” brothers ~ sorry, but my brain when tired or rushed, or lazy goofs up on me, and someone says I am sacrilegious. Bottom line with the invention of flight, we were totally unprepared for areal battle at the beginning of our challenges against the Red Baron, if you understand my drift in thought.

So, in my perspective of yet once again, watch the fundamentals comment. Watch the fundamentals going forward, if the US fails like “Who Killed the Electric Car;” maybe, just maybe someone will pick up the mantle and still save the world. It took someone like Elon to pick up the baton (EVs) and push the US/world forward. It took a war and Germany to push flight forward. It took Apple to the iPhone to knock computers out of the ballpark. Who is really going to take us (the world forward) forward; Aluminum is a critical metal in building Tesla cars down to your beer can; our environment is dying according to science.

Watch the fundamentals ~ please.

Reactions: AZRI11 and neroden
This could also mean P3D deliveries will start early in July, pulling Model 3 ASP higher throughout the quarter, which favorably impacts profitability.

Also, prioritizing P3D production and having P3Ds available for test drives should increase new P3D reservations and orders since delivery will be relatively quick and some buyers who have not been comfortable buying without a test drive will be willing to pull the trigger.

This should help refill the pipeline of P3D orders after Tesla works through the initial batch from invitations rolling out this week, which should have the effect of increasing the volume of P3D sold after Q3 -- into Q4 and 2019. That should have a positive effect on cash flow and profitability.

As far as P3D production, the ramp may turn out to be quick but I am tempering expectations and assuming that during the early part of the S-shaped curve, P3D production and delivery volume will be low and may take a little time to ramp up.

Last edited:
Quick follow-up on previous post. If Tesla does not cross 200K threshold until July, then for Q4, a US P3D buyer can get:
  • quick delivery
  • full tax credit
  • may be able to get a test drive depending on location
That should generate a higher than expected volume of P3D sales in Q4, even if Tesla empties the current pipeline of P3D orders in Q3.

The same dynamic may be at play for LR AWD, although wait times will be a bit longer so at some point the best way for a new customer to guarantee full credit will be to order a P3D.

This seems to be different messaging from Tesla vs. previous ramps. Unlike the earlier ones, which were about production vs demand, this round is also very focused on cash flows.

Going to 5k/ week with the high margin variants is looking to be very cash flow positive.

Looks like the bears are retreating into trying to say demand isn’t sustainable unless Tesla can make the $35k variant profitable at 5k/ week

I wonder if this indicates that the ramp after the latest planned shutdown is going well? We’ve seen pictures of Nummi parking lot being full as of Friday morning.

Also, Elon is so darn sure of himself these days, communicating and answering questions on production #s as well production plans (AWD, Performace version, etc.). To me Tesla Model 3 production is starting to look like it’s a well oiled machine. With the the German estimated pricing of M3 coupled with Elon’s tweet over this weekend I think we’re starting to see some renewed confidence (especially after CR’s OTA upgrade on the brakes-WOW).

On Friday the stock closed at exactly $292, I haven’t felt excited about M3 ramp like this for awhile. IF Elon/Tesla can pull off the 5k number this quarter things are going to happen very quickly. Tesla will then likely continue to fine tune robotics and make production more efficient in the 3rd/4th quarter, ending the year with maybe 6-7k a week seems to be a lock if the 5k number happens within the next 4-5 weeks.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.