Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone care to speculate on production rate of the Model 3 Performance version after ramp up?

In his recent Tweetstorm, when asked when the white interior would be available for non-P Model, Elon said "Three or four months, depending on demand level. We have enough for about 1000/week right now."

The tweet was a bit cryptic, but if they ramp up to build ~1,000 Model 3 Performance per week that would be close to the equivalent of another full Model S program (on top of 5K+ Model 3 LR/AWD).

He was talking about how much white interior parts they have, not about how many performance Model 3s they can make. (Unless you think people are only going to order the Model 3 P with the white interior. ;) )

Reactions: Lhan
He was talking about how much white interior parts they have, not about how many performance Model 3s they can make. (Unless you think people are only going to order the Model 3 P with the white interior. ;) )

I get that. But if they have 1000 white seats per week, why limit them to Performance if they are not planning to make at least 1000 P per week (you are right -- it would actually be more P/week than that depending on take rate of white seats, but I did not want to go too crazy;)).

Reactions: neroden
I get that. But if they have 1000 white seats per week, why limit them to Performance if they are not planning to make at least 1000 P per week (you are right -- it would actually be more P/week than that depending on take rate of white seats, but I did not want to go too crazy;)).
That's how I'm reading it also, and a little surprised that they could be making 1000 P models a week. Would love to see it happen.

Given Elon’s history, wouldn’t you also worry about surprise announcements that could cause a sudden rise?

Maybe a full self driving demo followed by FSD release, major GF partnership, huge Powerpack deployment announcement, unanticipated new product,,,

So I started shorting around ~204 and completely covered around $310, then at ~350 I began taking a much more significant position (due to having more cash to invest for unrelated reasons, admittedly my timing is lucky because i would have bet bigger at 200 if i could have afforded it, so it wasnt because i was smart).

Looking back, i thought tesla was way overvalued even before the solar city deal, but i realized that I underestimated the hype factor, model 3 timeline and all the hype that could be generated before they ever had to deliver an actual product, and I paid for it.

The reason i dont fear that as much anymore is because the current cash position and current liquidity constraints combined with basically no one really believing Elon anymore (except some TRowe FM i guess) is there cant be anymore big announcements. I mean they even had to walk back the model Y announcement. I think he has gone to that well too many times and now its put up or shutup time. My bet is they cant put up, and I dont really see any reason to think otherwise although i am always open to hear why I am wrong.

Tesla Says It Will Issue Fix for Model 3 Brakes

Today an Article from Consumer Reports:

CR will retest the Model 3 after updates.
Once an update for the Model 3 is sent to our vehicle CR will conduct more tests, says Jake Fisher, director of auto testing. “If Tesla can update the brakes over the air, we will retest our Model 3,” Fisher says. “It would be an industry first if they could improve brake performance remotely.

This would be so cool if the OTA update works...

Tesla Says It Will Issue Fix for Model 3 Brakes

Today an Article from Consumer Reports:

CR will retest the Model 3 after updates.

Once an update for the Model 3 is sent to our vehicle CR will conduct more tests, says Jake Fisher, director of auto testing. “If Tesla can update the brakes over the air, we will retest our Model 3,” Fisher says. “It would be an industry first if they could improve brake performance remotely.

Reuters - updated a few minutes ago: Consumer Reports to retest Tesla Model 3 after brake fix

As a bear, I will fully admit that this would be really cool.

As a bull, if they can't you have to acknowledge Elon flat out lied.

I think you touched on a good point here, possibly thread worthy.

What would it take to change my mind? I think it is a good mental challenge everyone should do, so I will offer mine up and perhaps you can, in return, offer yours.

I will change my mind on Tesla if the following happens:

1) Tesla can achieve 4 consecutive quarters of FCF +

OR

2) Tesla can sustain a weekly run rate of 5,000 model 3s and 2,000 S+X for 2 consecutive quarters WITHOUT raising money (if they raise money after this date then i remove this and replace it with whatever the capital raise is for).

I think those are reasonable no?

What would it take to change your mind?

Easy, what would change my mind about being Tesla long:

1. If my 4 year old Tesla in my garage would turn into pink unicorn fart, so I can't drive it anymore and experience every day its superiority to every other car I've ever seen

OR

2. BMW, VW, Daimler, GM, Ford and Toyota all started producing 7k+ long range desirable (meaning Tesla-competitive) EVs per week and selling them at lower price than Tesla while generating GM profit >20% on them

AND

3. their dealerships have changed their DNA and started actually promoting and selling those EVs, unlike their current MO which is to lie about them and turn buyers away from them, see
Dealerships trash talk electric cars: study

Last edited:
2. BMW, VW, Daimler, GM, Ford and Toyota all started producing 7k+ long range desirable (meaning Tesla-competitive) EVs per week and selling them at lower price than Tesla while generating GM profit >20% on them

See this makes no sense.

This is the investor forum right? If BMW, VM etc start making tesla competitive cars your concern shouldnt be what their margin is, your concern should be if Tesla can survive.

Based on your thesis, if the Mission E (which looks sick btw) completely crushes the model S and Tesla Sales plummet, but Porsche only had a 15% margin, you wouldnt sell Tesla.

Thats not a good approach to investing unless you don't like money.

I have nothing against you liking your car, im glad you like it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
As a bear, I will fully admit that this would be really cool.
As a bull, if they can't you have to acknowledge Elon flat out lied.

"As a bear, I will fully admit that this would be really cool."

- No, as a bear, don't be fooled by cool gimmicks. In modern world, this kind of FW update should be standard, not that big a deal. The problem shouldn't have existed in the first place (assume there IS a FW problem). Too bad most car manufactures can't do OTA updates.

"As a bull, if they can't you have to acknowledge Elon flat out lied."

- No, not sure if you actually read Elon's twits.

Here is my understanding:
1. Elon said this is the first time they heard of this braking issue. Tesla's own testing shows normal braking results.
2. Elon suggested CR to retest with cars in current production. After all, CR is recommending/ dis-recommending current and future productions, not the early productions. If the early production cars were shipped with three wheels and current production have four wheels. Does it make sense for CR to test those three wheeled cars and suggest buyers to stay away, because Model 3s are missing a wheel?
3. For this particular car that CR tested, it maybe a firmware issue that Tesla can fix through OTA update. It's just maybe, nobody can tell for sure, before even looking at the car.
4. Elon said in case the early production cars need new hardware, Tesla will fix them.

I can't tell where Elon flat out lied.

And here I was thinking I was adventurous for taking the scenic route.
That is funny.

But a gun battle happened in my city within the last year. Lava happened in Hawaii just within the last month. Wildfires happen in California all the time.

My main point is that even if autonomous systems are much safer overall, as soon as one causes an innocent death which a human’s common sense could have easily prevented, we are looking at a PR nightmare.

Reactions: neroden
Self driving or driving, I discourage my 27 year old from driving through gun battles, wildfires and lava flows. It’s actually an unspoken rule, since wtf, who goes driving into gun battles wildfires or lava flows?
Take a more prosaic example. Two kids are playing catch, with one out of sight behind a car. A human driver seeing the one in view about to throw a ball, might deduce there is another just out of sight who is about to run into the street to catch it even though she is currently out of sight. Has Tesla trained the neural net for this condition? Would a jury in a court case recognize that you can’t hold an AI to the same standard?

Reactions: UrsS and neroden
2. Elon suggested CR to retest with cars in current production. After all, CR is recommending/ dis-recommending current and future productions, not the early productions. If the early production cars were shipped with three wheels and current production have four wheels. Does it make sense for CR to test those three wheeled cars and suggest buyers to stay away, because Model 3s are missing a wheel?

Relevant Tweets:

The new car comment was regarding the ride quality and wind noise.
wind.PNG

3. For this particular car that CR tested, it maybe a firmware issue that Tesla can fix through OTA update. It's just maybe, nobody can tell for sure, before even looking at the car.

It is likely firmware:
fix.PNG

4. Elon said in case the early production cars need new hardware, Tesla will fix them.
He did not given indication of build time linking...
same.PNG

first.PNG

"As a bear, I will fully admit that this would be really cool."

- No, as a bear, don't be fooled by cool gimmicks. In modern world, this kind of FW update should be standard, not that big a deal. The problem shouldn't have existed in the first place (assume there IS a FW problem). Too bad most car manufactures can't do OTA updates.

I totally agree but didnt want to say that here because im trying to be less negative!

• Funny
Reactions: 2virgule5
So I started shorting around ~204 and completely covered around $310, then at ~350 I began taking a much more significant position (due to having more cash to invest for unrelated reasons, admittedly my timing is lucky because i would have bet bigger at 200 if i could have afforded it, so it wasnt because i was smart).[...] My bet is they cant put up, and I dont really see any reason to think otherwise although i am always open to hear why I am wrong.

Nice timing to short again at 350, I should have trimmed my long position, in particular the calls, when it was at 385 and I test drove a model 3 and it broke down. I really did not feel that was the right thing to do because the actual test drive was absolutely amazing and negated my fear that an economy tesla was going to be a much lesser car than the more expensive model S and X I was familiar with. It was feeling like everything I hoped for, except, the breakdown. This was way back when in 2017.

The delay in ramp-up has not been kind to the time value of my leaps.

Since then I have added whenever it went down more, lowest point being 257 IIRCC, which I am even more convinced of now that I took delivery of my own model 3 in january and have put on 5400 miles since then. Absolutely a game changer, and with the gigafactory synergy between cells for model 3 and for powerpacks/powerwalls that my friend says he is installing a ton of (powerwalls for solar) doing overtime and that are backordered like crazy, and the stories about how powerpacks are very cost effective in europe and australia deployments, I am pretty certain that tesla is vastly undervalued at this point.

Whenever I have any doubt about that, I get into my model 3 and leave same gas cars in the dust, corner hard a few times and then relax in stop and go traffic with autopilot driver assist doing all the heavy lifting. This is totally the future, and just imagine what happens when between all the negative reporting all over the place, thanksgiving comes around and more than 50,000 families get test drives from their kin and are as mind-blown as me about the car, the current 450,000 unfulfilled orderbook will double in no time. On top of that we see all the activity in china, the import tax going down and the ability to own your own gigafactory in shanghai instead of partnering with a chinese co-owner. I think its clear that buy and hold for a few years is going to give massive returns.

But of course I could be wrong and you could be right.

We will find out :)
PS: My first tesla was a Model X 90D that I bought in 2016 from gains that were possible because of all the car-fire fud and other misrepresentation causing short activity, so maybe I have to thank you for that. Rest assured that each dollar you lost went directly towards tesla in terms of my model x purchase and helped accelerate making model 3 possible.

Last edited:
I can't tell where Elon flat out lied.

I don't get this bear fixation with Elon and lying. Is there some assumption that he must be a liar because he's predicted things that didn't come true? Why is that more likely than him making an honest prediction based on available information and self-admitted optimism? I've read the Vance biography and picked apart his tweets and public statements as much as anyone, and "dishonest" is not a word I would use to describe his personality (nor would I use "flamboyant" or "huckster" or a bunch of other words that get tossed around in the media).

Worst case, you _might_ be able to make the argument that he might be ok with saying something misleading if he thought the mission justified it. The mission being sustainable energy, not lining his own pockets. But I've never seen an example of this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.