Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the BOSCH article as well.

They are holding on to the diesel instead of developing the future. For years we have been told, diesel is the way to go:
- less fuel consumption
- lower emissions

BOSCH males a lot of money with ICE (diesel and petrol). Not the engines but all the supporting gizmos. They would like to save the diesel in order to protect their investment.

They are too slowly converting to electric. It is not alone their fault; their customers are the car manufacturers, so the develope and sell what the car manufacturers need. Anyway, they want to be the leader in electric mobility.

Bosch: Marktführerschaft bei der Elektromobilität ist das erklärte Ziel

I find it hard to believe in a future for the diesel (or the other ICEs). Can we trust the claimed emissions are reached in the real world use of the car? How about after it has gone 100,000 miles?

I read the BOSCH article as well.

They are holding on to the diesel instead of developing the future. For years we have been told, diesel is the way to go:
- less fuel consumption
- lower emissions

BOSCH males a lot of money with ICE (diesel and petrol). Not the engines but all the supporting gizmos. They would like to save the diesel in order to protect their investment.

They are too slowly converting to electric. It is not alone their fault; their customers are the car manufacturers, so the develope and sell what the car manufacturers need. Anyway, they want to be the leader in electric mobility.

Bosch: Marktführerschaft bei der Elektromobilität ist das erklärte Ziel

I find it hard to believe in a future for the diesel (or the other ICEs). Can we trust the claimed emissions are reached in the real world use of the car? How about after it has gone 100,000 miles?
I think they wanted to do EV, but couldn't bring themselves to invest, instead they've decided to double down on diesel.

Bosch: We Won't Produce EV Batteries, Too Risky | CleanTechnica

I think they wanted to do EV, but couldn't bring themselves to invest, instead they've decided to double down on diesel.

Bosch: We Won't Produce EV Batteries, Too Risky | CleanTechnica

BOSCH seem to act as TSLa shorts.. if it doesnt work the first time.. try again.. and again.. and.

What is the medical term when you do things over and over, and expect a different result from the last x-times? :)

I do think i begins with an "In" and ends with "sanity".

Urban Dictionary: Insanity

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
It looks like Bosch's new development only improves NOx, not CO2 - better than nothing but it's just going to keep diesel on life support a bit longer, not make it "cleaner" in any meaningful way.

Four things will defeat diesel and ICE all together.
1. Physics - electric motors are more efficient than ICEs. Battery tech is improving every year.
2. Tesla - Elon explained to them many times, all transportation will become 100% electric. Tesla's mission is to make it happen.
3. Autonomous - this feature works best with EVs.
4. People - every EV buyer is an EV sales person. This salesforce is doubling every year.

They can stick to diesel for as long as they can, but they will soon run into situation that buyers will prefer EVs unless they drop diesel cars' price by 20~30%. That point is coming. Tesla Semi is just the beginning.

Reactions: Yuri_G and EinSV
1. Physics - electric motors are more efficient than ICEs. Battery tech is improving every year.
2. Tesla - Elon explained to them many times, all transportation will become 100% electric. Tesla's mission is to make it happen.
4. People - every EV buyer is an EV sales person. This salesforce is doubling every year.

They can stick to diesel for as long as they can, but they will soon run into situation that buyers will prefer EVs unless they drop diesel cars' price by 20~30%. That point is coming. Tesla Semi is just the beginning.
I would say the first one is really the only one that matters. But it's more than enough. Well, that, and:

5. Electric motors have instant and massive torque, which means the cars are fun to drive. The cars are also quiet, largely vibration-free and have a theoretically perfect "transmission", i.e. a single gear. And recharging a battery at home is more convenient for the user than having to seek out fueling stations. Basically, the cars are superior to ICE in a number of ways that go beyond costs and the environment.

To me 4 is a big one. I have never been as big a cheerleader as I am with Tesla.
Bought the car bought the stock...became Evangelical about the company.

It's hard to say. The parking lots aren't filling up. But I choose to take this as a sign they've stepped up their game on the logistics, and are better at getting the cars out of there and in the right direction.
VIN assignment still looks a little light, it's comparable to late March level, but not as high as the 1st 2+ weeks of April. Hopefully it will accelerate soon

upload_2018-4-27_15-41-57.png

VIN assignment still looks a little light, it's comparable to late March level, but not as high as the 1st 2+ weeks of April. Hopefully it will accelerate soon

View attachment 297284

Only 22 VINs were reported issued the week after the Feb. 20-24 shutdown, then it shot up to 102 the following week and generally trended up from there. We're already at 86 VINs reported for 2 full days plus 2 half days.

Only 22 VINs were reported issued the week after the Feb. 20-24 shutdown, then it shot up to 102 the following week and generally trended up from there. We're already at 86 VINs reported for 2 full days plus 2 half days.
I expect we see a bump next week, my guess is that it takes ~2 weeks for increase production to reach the end of the line. After Feb shutdown, it took 11 days, on 3/7, for VIN assignment to see the step increase. Assuming this shutdown ended 4/22, we may not see increased VIN assignment until after Q1ER on May 2. In that case I think they will at least mention the rate in the conf call if the rate is indeed increased. If they don't say anything, it might be bad news.

• Helpful
Reactions: Runarbt
Status
Not open for further replies.