Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - reservation speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5.9 strikes me as the right number to start with, the more I think about it. It will emphasize the zippiness of EV. It will allow Tesla to advertise it as "under six seconds!" And putting that kind of power into peoples hands that haven't had a fast car will cause less accidents and be more family friendly oriented.

In fact, Tesla should have a power adjustment feature - maybe call it the eco mode. Again, to make it more family friendly with a 0-60 of 7 seconds for those who don't need or want the speed. It can't hurt and it emphasizes something a gas car can't do. Most won't use it but some might.

I'll stick with what ipdamages and I wrote earlier - performance and performance+ as options for those that want it.

I see the Gen III as having a lot more options and choices than the Model S does. Why? Because it has to appeal to a much larger buying group. A wider variety of buyers will need a wider variety of choices available to them.

Sub 6 does not even begin to compete with TM's stated goals of A 3 Series, C class and A4/5. Loser right off the bat and Elon will not stand for that. The sub 7 econobox will have to wait to compete With 1 Series, A class and what ever Audi has at that level.

Okay fine. 5.5 seconds for the base level. I still say they could and should have a family friendly "eco mode" as an adjustment option on the touchscreen (just like you have with "creep mode") that is more like 7 seconds for those that want it. Remember you're trying to sell 200K of these.

Sub 6 does not even begin to compete with TM's stated goals of A 3 Series, C class and A4/5. Loser right off the bat and Elon will not stand for that. The sub 7 econobox will have to wait to compete With 1 Series, A class and what ever Audi has at that level.

A base level A4 is low-to-mid 6s (base price of $32.5K, model year 2017 will likely be over $35K). Audi 0-60 Times & Audi Quarter Mile Times | Audi A4 0-60, A6 Quattro, TT, R8 0-60, Audi S4 0-60, A3 TDI, A5, A8 and Q5 0 to 60 stats!

A base level 3-series is 5.5 (base price of $37K, model year 2017 will likely be over $40K). BMW 0-60 Times & BMW Quarter Mile Times | BMW E36, X5, BMW M3 0-60, M5, M6, M1, 330, Z4 and Cabrio Bimmer 0 to 60 stats!

So if a Gen 3 is $30K after incentives, I don't see how it needs to be faster than 5.9 for 0-60. If you want to go faster, great, they have a version for you too. But the vast majority of the world would be quite happy with a 5.9 0-60 with a low TCOE and a price substantially below the 3-series. Why shouldn't Tesla offer that version too? By offering a greater range they can appeal to more buyers. The low-cost version with less performance, and a more expensive perf version for those who want to make their passengers wet themselves.

The performance of electric cars should basically boil down to two factors:
  • How big an engine can we stick into it (the constant torque section)
  • How much juice can we pull from the battery (the constant power section)

My understanding is that, unlike ICE, bigger motors aren't much less efficient. You lose some in acceleration/deceleration from the extra weight, but that's minimal in the whole. And bigger capacity batteries will almost always have more power to output.

So there's no real need to keep the performance down. You could for market segmentation (P85 vs non-P 85. But even there, once you get to the point where the battery is the limiting factor, similar performance) So basically: I suspect that if the GenIII has a 250+ EPA range, then that version of the GenIII will have silly acceleration. Because that's just how the power works out.

Also:

These are all, except for the WRX I put in there as a lark, the one-size-down from the Model S size cars from the major German brands the Model S appears to be competing against (~70-72" wide, vs. the Model S's 77). They are all the high-perf versions of that car. The prices all are in the mid-to-high 5 figures for that model, and the low price for the model is in the 30-45k realm. And they all have versions that are silly fast.

A base level A4 is low-to-mid 6s (base price of $32.5K, model year 2017 will likely be over $35K). Audi 0-60 Times & Audi Quarter Mile Times | Audi A4 0-60, A6 Quattro, TT, R8 0-60, Audi S4 0-60, A3 TDI, A5, A8 and Q5 0 to 60 stats!

A base level 3-series is 5.5 (base price of $37K, model year 2017 will likely be over $40K). BMW 0-60 Times & BMW Quarter Mile Times | BMW E36, X5, BMW M3 0-60, M5, M6, M1, 330, Z4 and Cabrio Bimmer 0 to 60 stats!

So if a Gen 3 is $30K after incentives, I don't see how it needs to be faster than 5.9 for 0-60. If you want to go faster, great, they have a version for you too. But the vast majority of the world would be quite happy with a 5.9 0-60 with a low TCOE and a price substantially below the 3-series. Why shouldn't Tesla offer that version too? By offering a greater range they can appeal to more buyers. The low-cost version with less performance, and a more expensive perf version for those who want to make their passengers wet themselves.

People keep forgetting about one thing: $7,500 Tax Credit will run out within the first few months of Gen III sales. Therefore, you have to exclude this number from your calculations. Elon was hinting that the car would cost mid 30s, so I would assume he is factoring in this tax credit. So you are now looking at a car with a base price of ~$42,000, which sounds more realistic. Remember Model S was supposed to start at under $50k and see how that turned out...

Basically, you still have to convince people that EV's are better than ICE and the only way to do that is to make a better car. The first thing people look at is numbers such as hp, torque, 0-60, etc. Elon said in an interview that the 40 KWh Model S was like a "hobbled horse" (i.e. too slow) and it did 0-60 in like 6.5s. He also said that Gen III will be a "compelling car". Therefore, Gen III has to be quick to compete with the 3-series. Base 3 series starts with 0-60 in 5.5s and that should be the baseline. The performance version has to be around 3.9s, and the mid version should be under 5.0s. Remember that these cars are smaller than model s and should be faster. Putting in a bigger motor and inverter is not that expensive, but the performance difference will be huge and that will create more demand.

BMW sells 400,000 3 series per year (100k in US) and Tesla initially wants to sell about 150k - 200k per year globally. This is not to compete with Camry that sells 400k per year in the US alone. That is still many years after the Gen III.

There is so much possibility with EV's, and I don't understand why some people here want to limit those possibilities. If Tesla can make a performance version that does 0-60 in 2.9s then it should, as long as it is safe and doesn't drain too much battery. I think that they will do this with the next roadster to compete with GTR.

Tesla needs to be synonymous with "better" and not "just as good."

True.

Let's not forget that modern ICE cars get a lot of their 0-60 numbers with tricks and launch gimmicks. On paper an M5 should beat an MS P85 every time, however we all see how the weakness of an ICE can be blown away fairly easily. If the base model G3 is 0-60 in 5.9 or 5.5, it's going to spank a BMW 3 series all the time. The G3 acceleration will amaze the average driver immensely and you will get the Tesla smile. For those that want a little more punch and are willing to pay extra for it, then just like with the MS, you've got the Performance and Performance+/Ultra/Extreme version available. As we see with the MS there are a large segment that are willing to pay for that extra punch.

I agree about the tax credit. It will be there for the initial launch and as we've seen in Tesla's past that Elon likes to keep his promises. What the cars final price will be is questionable. Will Tesla and Elon keep the car under $30K after the $7500? Maybe not. It might be a point of pride and Elon pushes Tesla into a $39,900 version that will stay that price even after the $7500 is gone. We shall see.

People keep forgetting about one thing: $7,500 Tax Credit will run out within the first few months of Gen III sales. Therefore, you have to exclude this number from your calculations. Elon was hinting that the car would cost mid 30s, so I would assume he is factoring in this tax credit. So you are now looking at a car with a base price of ~$42,000, which sounds more realistic. Remember Model S was supposed to start at under $50k and see how that turned out...

This is all spending a lot of time reading tea leaves and speculating expansively, but the most recent talk is "half the price of the Model S." The base MS is $69.9K pre-incentives. So that's $35K pre-incentives. The base MS is $62.4K post-incentives. So that's $31.2K post-incentives, or $38.7K pre-incentives. I think that's a pretty good estimate of where the G3 will be, though it wouldn't really bother me to have it be a bit higher. But if you're at $42K and no incentives, that's not really "half of the MS."

Basically, you still have to convince people that EV's are better than ICE and the only way to do that is to make a better car. The first thing people look at is numbers such as hp, torque, 0-60, etc. Elon said in an interview that the 40 KWh Model S was like a "hobbled horse" (i.e. too slow) and it did 0-60 in like 6.5s. He also said that Gen III will be a "compelling car". Therefore, Gen III has to be quick to compete with the 3-series. Base 3 series starts with 0-60 in 5.5s and that should be the baseline. The performance version has to be around 3.9s, and the mid version should be under 5.0s. Remember that these cars are smaller than model s and should be faster. Putting in a bigger motor and inverter is not that expensive, but the performance difference will be huge and that will create more demand.

BMW sells 400,000 3 series per year (100k in US) and Tesla initially wants to sell about 150k - 200k per year globally. This is not to compete with Camry that sells 400k per year in the US alone. That is still many years after the Gen III.

There is so much possibility with EV's, and I don't understand why some people here want to limit those possibilities. If Tesla can make a performance version that does 0-60 in 2.9s then it should, as long as it is safe and doesn't drain too much battery. I think that they will do this with the next roadster to compete with GTR.

The incremental cost to Tesla of the higher end cars is nowhere close to the incremental price. This is evidenced in Tesla's quotes and the fact that its margins are higher on optioned and higher-end cars.

For example, the Roadster Sport has a motor with a higher winding density and lower resistance.

"The chief differences between the base roadster and the Sport include the Sport’s new drivetrain software and a new stator in the car’s 375-volt AC induction motor with higher winding density and lower resistance, bumping the motor’s horsepower rating from 248 to 288 and the torque from 273 lb-ft to 295. In the suspension, remote-reservoir shocks offer 10 stiffness settings, and there are three positions for the anti-roll bars. Black forged wheels wear stickier rubber—Yokohama Advan A048s instead of Yokohama Advan Neova AD07s. There are also Sport badges on the rump and door sills. For all that, the Sport version adds $19,500 to the base price."

2010 Tesla Roadster Sport Car and Driver

Are there people who have been willing to pay the extra $19.5K, even if it didn't cost nearly that much? The data tell us yes.

As mama has told us, "Don't give it away for free." And that is what Tesla has done with the Model S too. Tesla was profitable in 1Q2013 in large part because it sold cars that were to early adopters - lots of Perfs and highly optioned cars. They have already said that margins will shrink due to the mix of the cars being more 60s and non-perf 85s. So the business model is a common one: offer the stripped, low end car for an eye-catching price, and then option it to a level at which you can make money. But in order to get people to buy the mid- or high-end car, there has to be a motivation. And having a 5.5 second, 250-mile base version doesn't get it done.

People can wish for such a car, but it is not going to be easy to make a G3 car that sells for a price in the high 30s pre-incentives, and Tesla will sell these cars like crazy without giving away the store in the low-end model. The car will also be compelling for reasons other than acceleration. TCO will be low. Supercharger access. Green creds. Styling.

As a result, while people may want their dream car, with 5.5 0-60 and 250-mile range, for $37.4K pre-incentives, that is IMO just not realistic. That car will be available, but it will cost more. And there will be a Perf that will cost even more than that, but will compete with the M-series.

Tesla shareholders should expect management to sell cars in a price-discriminating manner such as this. To do otherwise would not maximize shareholder value.

Last edited:
The base price is still a mystery but Elon also said that the Model S will be half the price of the roadster FWIW...

No matter the base price, I will still be getting the performance version even if the base goes 0-60 in 5.5s, assuming that the perf is close to 4s. That is still a huge difference. Everyone who wants performance and can afford it is going to get it anyway. Most everyone who buys "base" version is because they either can't afford an upgraded version or couldn't care less for more performance and range. I can only see a very small percentage of people who would get a performance if the base does 0-60 in 6s, but would get the base if it did 0-60 in 5.5s. If Tesla can advertise a performance version doing 0-60 in 3.9s, then it won't matter if the base does 5.2s or 5.9s.

I would like to see a base Gen III beat a base 3-series, so you need to be around 5.5s; at least on paper. A lot of magazine racers out there, real world accelaration doesn't matter as much as the numbers on paper to most buyers. But if you can advertise that the Gen III is faster than a BMW for that same price (and much lower TCO), then all of a sudden you will get a huge inflow of potential customers at least wanting to check out/test drive the car. And we know that 25% of test drives convert into orders; although that number is likely to fall.

Really? A negative reputation point for my post #48 above? And with no comment from the person giving me the negative reputation point? I don't want to go OT here, but if someone can explain to me in a PM what was improper about my post, I'd be genuinely interested in the feedback.

Really? A negative reputation point for my post #48 above? And with no comment from the person giving me the negative reputation point? I don't want to go OT here, but if someone can explain to me in a PM what was improper about my post, I'd be genuinely interested in the feedback.

It wasn't me who did it, but your post definitely did not deserve any negativity even if someone doesn't agree with what you said. That post was well thought out, and I can see your point. Maybe you are right but I see things a little differently (although not by much from you). I still think that Tesla has to be the best at everything they do, which means among other things to be faster than a BMW on paper.

IMO Tesla should strive to be the best EV: Longest Range, Fastest (super)charging, fastest car, most luxurious, best bang for the buck. And definitely has to be better than all ICE cars: Faster accelaration, quieter, much cheaper TCO, roomier, more function, better range (eventually), just as fast charging (eventually).

Quieter, cheaper TCO, better MPGe, and roomier are all given. The only thing that Tesla can work on is fit and finish and performance at this point. So they have to make better performing cars.

Tesla needs to be the best at everything they do. No compromises! When someone is trying to decide between a 3-series and a Gen III, it has to be a no-brainer. But when you see that the 3-series is still faster then all of a sudden it is not that much of a no-brainer.

I agree but you also need to add the gadget factor. BMW, Mercedes and Audi are WAY ahead of TM in this regard and with Gen 3 they need to step up to the plate or I for one will be putting it in the not-so-much of a no-brainer category. Not saying they may still not win out but definatly more thought involved as to what I am willing to give up and what I am not. Would certainly prefer a no-brainer choice.

BTW, where do you see someone's reputation? I got a couple of reputation points but they don't show up anywhere. Where do I find these?

Basically what I am trying to say is that IMO Tesla will create a lot more sharholder value by creating the best product instead of trying to game/trick people into upgrading to a more expensive unit. Build the best damn car possible and build a great brand. E.G. our base Gen III does 0-60 in 5.2s and is faster than a base 3-series. Oh yeah, it also handles better, has more room in the cabin and the trunk(s), gets better MPGe, never have to go to the gas station, and is cheaper!

I don't believe in a strategy where someone says, "let's build the base model that does 0-60 in 6s, so that it will be easier to upsell a performance version at 4s. Those are games that other car manufacturers play and Tesla is different.

Just build the best damn brand possible and people will buy these cars in millions. If base car does 5.2-5.5s, there will still be just as many who decide on getting the performance model at 3.9s. I would actually argue that you will get more performance models sold, because a 5.2s base model will mean a lot more people interested in Tesla. Once they are in the door, you will be able to upsell the performance model to someone who would have never considered a Tesla in the first place.

Create a product that is far superior to anything else out there and that is how you create long-term shareholder value!

edit: Obviously Tesla still needs to work on "gadget factor", but they have beefed up their interior design team and I assume that fit and finish will get better.

edit: Obviously Tesla still needs to work on "gadget factor", but they have beefed up their interior design team and I assume that fit and finish will get better.

By "Gadget Factor" I am referring to things like ACC, Lane Departure Warning, Back up Cameras, Drowsy Driver Warning, Collision Avoidance and Active Braking etc. To some those are silly and to others those are safety factors. Model S was the first foray into the luxury car market for TM and I totally understand keeping it simple to start with but from here on out if they are going to compete with the big boys they need to up their game and play by some of the same rules. Other rules can be broken to set new ground but I agree that they need to make the BEST car possible and then figure out how to get to a base model from there. Not visa versa.

By "Gadget Factor" I am referring to things like ACC, Lane Departure Warning, Back up Cameras, Drowsy Driver Warning, Collision Avoidance and Active Braking etc. To some those are silly and to others those are safety factors. Model S was the first foray into the luxury car market for TM and I totally understand keeping it simple to start with but from here on out if they are going to compete with the big boys they need to up their game and play by some of the same rules. Other rules can be broken to set new ground but I agree that they need to make the BEST car possible and then figure out how to get to a base model from there. Not visa versa.

Considering that Elon mentioned in a recent interview that he would like to see autopilot in the Gen III car, we should be safe in the gadget category.

BTW, where do you see someone's reputation? I got a couple of reputation points but they don't show up anywhere. Where do I find these?

Basically what I am trying to say is that IMO Tesla will create a lot more sharholder value by creating the best product instead of trying to game/trick people into upgrading to a more expensive unit. Build the best damn car possible and build a great brand. E.G. our base Gen III does 0-60 in 5.2s and is faster than a base 3-series. Oh yeah, it also handles better, has more room in the cabin and the trunk(s), gets better MPGe, never have to go to the gas station, and is cheaper!

I don't believe in a strategy where someone says, "let's build the base model that does 0-60 in 6s, so that it will be easier to upsell a performance version at 4s. Those are games that other car manufacturers play and Tesla is different.

The strategy isn't to build a hamstrung car that only goes 0-60 in 6s, in order to upsell the performance version. The point is to build a nice affordable car, that is electric. You will get more people trying to buy a Gen III if your base price is $37k than you will if the base price is $42k but is goes 0-60 in 5.2s versus 6.0s. The larger battery will have better acceleration than the entry level one. If there is a 3rd battery option it will probably have even better acceleration. And I am certain there will be a Performance version if you want even better 0-60 numbers.

My assumption is Tesla will have a few target numbers: 0-60 in 6.0s, 3750 lbs, XX" of legroom, umpteen cupholders, and under $37k. And they will better most of them, and only shortchange the ones that are impossible to pull off (like cupholders) while maintaining the other ones.

I have a feeling that the $ range of a Gen III will be as great or greater than the 3 series range. So greater than $32k to $77k price range.

And lets not forget that the base 3 series 320i wont make 0-60 in 7 seconds much less 5.x seconds!
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-bmw-320i-photos-and-info-news

I just read your post twice, thought it was well written and could find nothing to give it a negative point.

To clarify: Tesla's price target is $35,000 without any tax credits. I got this information (along with many other reporters) from Elon Musk, who stated it unambiguously in the press briefing at the battery-swap announcement.

Musk suggested there would be no tax credits to have by then; but I agree with those of you who think there will be some. Of course, if the Gen III doesn't ship until late in 2017, I suppose it's possible there won't be any.