Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had 4 kW system installed one powerwall 3 and the ProjectAdvisor and I were trying to figure out if it’s a whole home back up, I have PG&E and he said because of the back up switch it is.

I’m not sure he sounded certain of that though, I have a 1900 square-foot house with an air conditioner and all the other usual stuff.

Just had 4 kW system installed one powerwall 3 and the ProjectAdvisor and I were trying to figure out if it’s a whole home back up, I have PG&E and he said because of the back up switch it is.

I’m not sure he sounded certain of that though, I have a 1900 square-foot house with an air conditioner and all the other usual stuff.
If you have the Backup Switch, then everything connected to that panel (likely the whole house) will be backed up. Unless you have multiple meters feeding your location, this means you have whole home backup.

Reactions: mongo and LiBeRtAs
If you have the Backup Switch, then everything connected to that panel (likely the whole house) will be backed up. Unless you have multiple meters feeding your location, this means you have whole home backup.
Thank you you just took a big thing off of my “worry about” list ha ha!

One thing I’m not sure of is why any grid feed is happening to my panel when I have plenty of solar and powerwall to do the house, the last two days it’s been less than one kilowatt hour each day but it should’ve been zero if it’s a sunny day and I’m using very little power, I guess once I get permission to operate/export And if it’s still doing it I’ll ask.

Is it true if you have PG&E that you are forced into one of the time of us PG&E plans if you know? Reason I ask is if I have it on timebase control it’s going to take power from the grid during the time of day when it’s the cheapest but what if I don’t need to take it from the grid that’s what I don’t understand? I was messing with the app and I put it on timebase control Saturday morning and left it there for a few hours and notice that it was drawing from the grid and it didn’t need to be I don’t think, and as soon as I put it back on self powered it stopped drawing from the grid.

Is there a way to get email notification when someone responds to my post on this message board?

Last edited:
Thank you you just took a big thing off of my “worry about” list ha ha!

One thing I’m not sure of is why any grid feed is happening to my panel when I have plenty of solar and powerwall to do the house, the last two days it’s been less than one kilowatt hour each day but it should’ve been zero if it’s a sunny day and I’m using very little power, I guess once I get permission to operate/export And if it’s still doing it I’ll ask.
This sounds like the system is working as intended. There may be a slight grid draw at times.
Is it true if you have PG&E that you are forced into one of the time of us PG&E plans if you know? Reason I ask is if I have it on timebase control it’s going to take power from the grid during the time of day when it’s the cheapest but what if I don’t need to take it from the grid that’s what I don’t understand?
PG&E will push you into the NBT Net Billing Tarrif aka NEM 3.0.

Time based control will attempt to use your ess to reduce your bill. I can't speak more specifically about how the NBT version of TBC will work. If you don't need to take power from the grid, you will pay less for power.

Reactions: LiBeRtAs
Just double checking. Is the PW3 now compatible with existing solar systems? I currently have Enphase microinverters and NEC panels and was about to consider other brands for battery storage/backup. Is the PW3 still a great option compared to Enphase, EP Cube, Franklin?

Having some trouble understanding how PW3 makes sense when more than 2 are needed/wanted for longer backup.

Some background....got my detailed plan and plan set from Tesla yesterday. This is for 58 panels at 23.49kW with 4 Powerwalls. Good thing is that they actually got me from original design which was 97% offset to 100% offset with less panels by shifting more panels onto the rear (southern facing) of the home's roof since their survey showed it was larger. They were able to remove 2 panels overall as part of this change. This was a win.

However, I was shocked to see they spec'd my PW system for 2 Powerwall+ and 2 Powerwall 2s with 2x 7.6kW AC from PW+inverters and 1x extra 5.7AC inverter for total AC output of 20.9kW.

This is contrary to what I was told a week ago the day of the site assessment where my project advisor and the site assessor both said at least 2 of my PW would be 3s and the remaining 2 would be either 3s or 2s. I asked at the time if PW3s and PW2s are compatible and project advisor said yes. The reason they gave at the time for it possibly being 2 PW3 and 2 PW2 was that some utilities do not allow the additional AC output of the disabled inverters of the 3rd and 4th PW3 to be removed from the total AC output consideration (even though they aren't used) and they have strict output limits for total AC output.

Based on our convo and design they came up with, It seems to me that PW3 are not actually compatible with PW2 or PW2+. I asked if my specific utility would not allow 4x PW3 and that's why they made them all 2s? He said no, that isn't the case with my utility and this decision right now is more-so because Tesla may not want to provide PW3s where inverters are not used for financial reasons. This makes no sense to me. Why would they allow config with 4x PW3 then since its very unlikely non VPP setups will need 46AC output (4x PW3 AC inverter).

The advisor also told me (incorrectly) that the only difference between PW3 and PW2 is that PW2 does not have same starting power for AC units etc. as PW3 but everything else is the same. Said it's not an issue for me since I will be having 4 PW2 (which is true) and they will have more than enough power to start the AC unit and any other item with high initial peak V needed. I explained that this was not the only difference (and not even the largest or even relevant in my case since I have 4 PW). The biggest difference for me is continuous kW output per PW where it is 5kwH for the PW2 and 11.5kWh for PW3. I explained this is a huge difference in terms of supply to my home! Just my 2 Model Ys would use 22+ kWh if they are both charging at full speed. Not sure if the advisor did not know this, or was ignorant to the facts, but considering the more than double continuous output per PW is a huge selling point of the PW3, its hard to believe he wouldn't know.

Not sure if the advisor did not know this, or was ignorant to the facts, but considering the more than double continuous output per PW is a huge selling point of the PW3, its hard to believe he wouldn't know.
The Powerwall+ is a little better, off-grid they provide 7-9.6kW. (Depending on solar input.) Seems sort of weird that while on-grid it is ~2kW less.

I do think the Powerwall 3 installation configuration options will be better once the battery expansion only modules are available. (So, you could have two Powerwall 3s each with 1 battery expansion module, so there isn't any "wasted" inverter capacity.)

The Powerwall+ is a little better, off-grid they provide 7-9.6kW. (Depending on solar input.) Seems sort of weird that while on-grid it is ~2kW less.

I do think the Powerwall 3 installation configuration options will be better once the battery expansion only modules are available. (So, you could have two Powerwall 3s each with 1 battery expansion module, so there isn't any "wasted" inverter capacity.)
Yeah you meant Powerwall+ is a little better than Powerwall 2 right? As Powerwall 3 is better as far as I can tell in chemistry (LFP vs. Lithium ion), footprint (less separate hardware), continuous output (11.5kW vs 5kW per unit), and peak startup voltage (insignificant for systems with 2+ PWs). I just (last 2 minutes) got an update from my project advisor that they cannot put the equipment in my garage (not allowed in NJ anymore) and they cannot offer me Powerwall 3s if I want 4 since they confirmed with my utility that they are not allowed to derate/disable PW3 inverters. So my only option if I want to move forward right now with 4PW would be 2 PW2 and 2 PW2+. I cannot even drop to 2 PW3 as the combined inverter output is over the max my utility allows.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Having some trouble understanding how PW3 makes sense when more than 2 are needed/wanted for longer backup.

Some background....got my detailed plan and plan set from Tesla yesterday. This is for 58 panels at 23.49kW with 4 Powerwalls. Good thing is that they actually got me from original design which was 97% offset to 100% offset with less panels by shifting more panels onto the rear (southern facing) of the home's roof since their survey showed it was larger. They were able to remove 2 panels overall as part of this change. This was a win.

However, I was shocked to see they spec'd my PW system for 2 Powerwall+ and 2 Powerwall 2s with 2x 7.6kW AC from PW+inverters and 1x extra 5.7AC inverter for total AC output of 20.9kW.

This is contrary to what I was told a week ago the day of the site assessment where my project advisor and the site assessor both said at least 2 of my PW would be 3s and the remaining 2 would be either 3s or 2s. I asked at the time if PW3s and PW2s are compatible and project advisor said yes. The reason they gave at the time for it possibly being 2 PW3 and 2 PW2 was that some utilities do not allow the additional AC output of the disabled inverters of the 3rd and 4th PW3 to be removed from the total AC output consideration (even though they aren't used) and they have strict output limits for total AC output.

Based on our convo and design they came up with, It seems to me that PW3 are not actually compatible with PW2 or PW2+. I asked if my specific utility would not allow 4x PW3 and that's why they made them all 2s? He said no, that isn't the case with my utility and this decision right now is more-so because Tesla may not want to provide PW3s where inverters are not used for financial reasons. This makes no sense to me. Why would they allow config with 4x PW3 then since its very unlikely non VPP setups will need 46AC output (4x PW3 AC inverter).

The advisor also told me (incorrectly) that the only difference between PW3 and PW2 is that PW2 does not have same starting power for AC units etc. as PW3 but everything else is the same. Said it's not an issue for me since I will be having 4 PW2 (which is true) and they will have more than enough power to start the AC unit and any other item with high initial peak V needed. I explained that this was not the only difference (and not even the largest or even relevant in my case since I have 4 PW). The biggest difference for me is continuous kW output per PW where it is 5kwH for the PW2 and 11.5kWh for PW3. I explained this is a huge difference in terms of supply to my home! Just my 2 Model Ys would use 22+ kWh if they are both charging at full speed. Not sure if the advisor did not know this, or was ignorant to the facts, but considering the more than double continuous output per PW is a huge selling point of the PW3, its hard to believe he wouldn't know.
What size is your service?

I cannot speak to "max inverter size your utility allows" but this might be an interesting question directly to the local utility to confirm what you are being told.

What size is your service?

I cannot speak to "max inverter size your utility allows" but this might be an interesting question directly to the local utility to confirm what you are being told.
Service is 200amps. I have a 100amp breaker going to a subpanel which has 2 60amp breakers in it feeding 2 separate Tesla Wall Connectors wirelessly connected to not exceed 80 amps total (if charging together). They would backup entire 200amp panel. In last 12 months i used 25,613kW with average of 2,134 per month. I have asked the utility but they have not gotten back to me. They use a separate company for solar/battery questions who are impossible to get a hold of via phone. Email sent with this question and others weeks ago.

Service is 200amps. I have a 100amp breaker going to a subpanel which has 2 60amp breakers in it feeding 2 separate Tesla Wall Connectors wirelessly connected to not exceed 80 amps total (if charging together). They would backup entire 200amp panel. In last 12 months i used 25,613kW with average of 2,134 per month. I have asked the utility but they have not gotten back to me. They use a separate company for solar/battery questions who are impossible to get a hold of via phone. Email sent with this question and others weeks ago.
Sounds like you are doing what you can on this. It might make sense to talk to a 3rd party installer in your area as they are often better trained and more willing to be flexible where Tesla isn't and won't.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Sounds like you are doing what you can on this. It might make sense to talk to a 3rd party installer in your area as they are often better trained and more willing to be flexible where Tesla isn't and won't.
Got one other quote for same system and it was $14k more. They did tell me the same about the PWs and that they would have to use PW2s and PW2+ if I wanted tesla storage. The additional cost was because the PWs cost them much more according to them.

Reactions: Vines
I have a powerwall 3 with 10 panels and I don’t have permission to operate export yet so I can’t tell always what my maximum numbers are, what is the highest kilowatt number you’ve seen charging into the powerwall at any given time as in what’s the most it can accept from the solar panels?

Sorry if this has been asked before: Anyone with existing solar under NEM 2.0 purchase a PW3 and not have their status change to NEM 3.0? Also, does Tesla disable the PW3's built-in solar inverter for systems with microinverters?
For most people, there is no good reason to use PW3 without solar if you can get a PW2. The only good reason I can think of is if you need to start big motor loads and don't need as much energy capacity.

I suppose technically, if you don't add any solar, they can't kick you out of NEM 2.

Just had system installed with a powerwall 3, with 10 panels, and today it was down to 24% this morning and it is now 1:15 Pacific time and I’ve been getting on average one 1.8 kW from solar and it is partly cloudy and it is now charged to 46%.

Don’t know if this is average charging time or not, I’m curious what other people are getting when they charge, whenever I Google I get mostly people with power wall 2 that charge considerably faster than this it seems from what I’ve read I don’t know I’m just putting it out there to see what other people experience with the new Powerwall 3. I don’t know how fast the earlier versions are charged I’m just seeing what it says on different posts here and there.

2:12 now and at 59%…3.2 kW coming from solar and only 0.3 going to house. The 0.3 going to house is average for all day. So it’s been charging for at least six or seven hours has gone from 24 to 59%.

Last edited:
Just had system installed with a powerwall 3, with 10 panels, and today it was down to 24% this morning and it is now 1:15 Pacific time and I’ve been getting on average one 1.8 kW from solar and it is partly cloudy and it is now charged to 46%.

Don’t know if this is average charging time or not, I’m curious what other people are getting when they charge, whenever I Google I get mostly people with power wall 2 that charge considerably faster than this it seems from what I’ve read I don’t know I’m just putting it out there to see what other people experience with the new Powerwall 3. I don’t know how fast the earlier versions are charged I’m just seeing what it says on different posts here and there.

2:12 now and at 59%…3.2 kW coming from solar and only 0.3 going to house. The 0.3 going to house is average for all day. So it’s been charging for at least six or seven hours has gone from 24 to 59%.
How much solar was generated during the day?