Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Door left open... sometimes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
Not a new problem, and likely how I sequence things when I park in the garage, but about 25% of the time the homelink command isn't sent and I drive off with my door open. Maybe it's how I park - I close my Garage sometimes from the car and other times from the wall. Am I putting the car out of the loop here?

Also, I discovered that Summon will leave the door open after exiting the Garage iff I open the garage myself. So there it knows not to close because it didn't open it? Wondering how much the cameras are used in this process to ID garage status even when driving off?

Main question is how I get the garage to close 100% of the time.

Wishing the mirrors would unfold sooner too, love the new feature but gotta get used to no mirrors at first. Maybe that's in the distance parameter? Wouldn't you think you'd open the mirrors when you shut the garage? Mine open about 100ft later down the road.

Don't enable the auto open/close setting; instead, press the Homelink button yourself as you leave to be sure you always close the garage door. ;)

Oh, so when I summon and the door is close, it goes through the door? Lol.

Looking for process info here... is homelink 2-way or 1-way comms? What conditions need to be met to send command? Or just a rule that involves auto-close.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I haven't had a problem with leaving garage door open other than the one time I left my garage (backing out); started going down street one way but it was blocked by truck. So turned around and left house going down street the other way. not realizing that when I passed my house the homelink thought I was "back home" and re-opened garage but I didn't notice that since I was already down the street. Regarding mirrors; try adjusting the distance setting separate from the homelink setting. After few tries I have the mirrors opening just after I reach bottom of driveway and then closing back just a little before I start to turn into driveway. I hope this helps.

Homelink is one-way ambiguous commands. It just sends a "do it" to the device. That could mean open, close, or stop, depending on the current state.

Two issues could be occurring.

First, reset your location for Homelink. Maybe a little closer, maybe further or heck, just reset it.

Next, make sure that the opener can hear the command. If not, you may want to adjust the antenna on the opener some.

Are you seeing the Homelink pop-up and hearing the chime? That's how you can tell if the car isn't sending or the opener isn't hearing it.

• Informative
Homelink is one-way ambiguous commands. It just sends a "do it" to the device. That could mean open, close, or stop, depending on the current state.

Two issues could be occurring.

First, reset your location for Homelink. Maybe a little closer, maybe further or heck, just reset it.

Next, make sure that the opener can hear the command. If not, you may want to adjust the antenna on the opener some.

Are you seeing the Homelink pop-up and hearing the chime? That's how you can tell if the car isn't sending or the opener isn't hearing it.

Your last point is key. When I back out, the screen shows the popup and then it works every time. Sometimes the screen doesn't show so there's no indication that the car sent anything. That's why I was asking if cameras were involved. And it always works upon arrival.

I'll try adjusting distance (now max I believe), but it could also be a poor cell connection/GPS data. Towers here suck even though I'm in dense housing. I'm also thinking this is not common... had me thinking it was related to how I parked exactly.

• Informative
A while ago, my home link was no longer always closing the door automatically when I left. It seemed to keep getting worse, until it would not close until I got almost out of range.

I did a two button on the steering wheel with the brake pushed and it now works perfectly again.

I played with the distance a few times, but nothing worked. For me the reset did the trick.

My understanding/observation is that it will only auto-close the garage if it also auto-opened the garage at the end of the very last drive. For example, sometimes I'll park on my driveway and cancel the auto-open and then I'll pull the car into the garage later on without using the auto-open. In that scenario I don't get the auto-close next time I exit the garage.

And when it is going to auto-close, as soon as I shift into Reverse it'll show a message like "Auto-closing in 20 ft" on the screen below the HomeLink icon. I kinda doubt it's taking into account GPS data when it's doing this... rather it's just a simple If/Then logic.

Your last point is key. When I back out, the screen shows the popup and then it works every time. Sometimes the screen doesn't show so there's no indication that the car sent anything. That's why I was asking if cameras were involved. And it always works upon arrival.

I'll try adjusting distance (now max I believe), but it could also be a poor cell connection/GPS data. Towers here suck even though I'm in dense housing. I'm also thinking this is not common... had me thinking it was related to how I parked exactly.

Maybe you did not see my post. I have verified this multiple times. Could you possibly be adjusting you position by going into reverse after you have pulled into your garage? Like maybe you were too far forward. EVERY time I did that it would not close the garage door the next time I left. Not sure if the latest OTA updates have fixed this.

• Disagree
Reactions: R1Fast
Maybe you did not see my post. I have verified this multiple times. Could you possibly be adjusting you position by going into reverse after you have pulled into your garage? Like maybe you were too far forward. EVERY time I did that it would not close the garage door the next time I left. Not sure if the latest OTA updates have fixed this.

Wow, that could be it! If so, talk about lazy programming and a bug in my book.
Thanks, I'll try it.

Thanks, confirmed, and I'm on 2019.5.15. I only have to backup an inch when I get home, and it kills it the next exit. Looking at the rear camera is OK, just don't back up and it will close the garage just fine. Hmmm... Bug I say. I don't know how you discovered this, what a random thing. I thought it was maybe my using the rear camera or if I closed the garage from the car vs house.

I still can't get the mirrors to unfold sooner than down the street even though the distance on homelink is down to 10 ft. That doesn't seem to matter for the mirrors as I think it's just for the garage door distance.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
We have two Model 3s with slightly different software versions running. The M3 with the latest version no longer automatically opens or closes the garage door. The one with the prior version of software works fine. I made a phone call to support on an unrelated issue and there was a recorded message saying Tesla is aware of Homelink issues resulting from a recent software update. Has anyone else experienced their auto close going from working to not working after a recent software update?

My understanding/observation is that it will only auto-close the garage if it also auto-opened the garage at the end of the very last drive. For example, sometimes I'll park on my driveway and cancel the auto-open and then I'll pull the car into the garage later on without using the auto-open. In that scenario I don't get the auto-close next time I exit the garage.

And when it is going to auto-close, as soon as I shift into Reverse it'll show a message like "Auto-closing in 20 ft" on the screen below the HomeLink icon. I kinda doubt it's taking into account GPS data when it's doing this... rather it's just a simple If/Then logic.

I never noticed that message "Auto-close in 20ft." I'll look for it. Maybe you have another condition for the misfire, maybe just putting it in drive (F or R) a second time is the cause? I might try pulling in, P, then pull forward to see. This is the part where I wish Tesla would just tell us how it works.

Get this... when I open the garage first, then hit summon, it won't auto close. I actually like that feature because I'm likely right there. So it appears it can check the garage door status by using sonar during summon (or we'd be writing a lot more about broken garage doors here) and closes it only if it opened it.

I think it needs some more smarts on the auto close.

We have two Model 3s with slightly different software versions running. The M3 with the latest version no longer automatically opens or closes the garage door. The one with the prior version of software works fine. I made a phone call to support on an unrelated issue and there was a recorded message saying Tesla is aware of Homelink issues resulting from a recent software update. Has anyone else experienced their auto close going from working to not working after a recent software update?

That's odd. So it won't re-learn it either or just wiped out the code?

To be clear, my quirks (with the Model 3) stem from day one of the feature's introduction. I'm literally still trying to understand how it's supposed to work and I'm a Sr. Technologist by trade!

To be clear, my quirks (with the Model 3) stem from day one of the feature's introduction. I'm literally still trying to understand how it's supposed to work and I'm a Sr. Technologist by trade!

Both cars can open the garage door but the one with the latest software update won’t auto open.

I've found that Sr. Technologist by trade doesn't help :)

I don't use auto close, but auto open is a bit tricky. You have to be driving at just the right speed or it will either not open or it will only open a few cm and then stop. It's always been that way with some releases being more sensitive than others. This last one is very sensitive.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL