Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks good- though it's funny the "absolute" speed limit means you keep falling far enough behind your lead car that it stops working :)
Yeah, this is why when I use it, I'm on TACC, which still lets you set the speed over the limit. My usual commute has the speed limit mistakenly set at 5 mph below the actual limit, so it's even worse for me if I use the full AP.

I would just be pleased if it picked the correct lane at a junction. If sat nav has the route turning left, it would be nice if it didn't choose the right hand lane irrespective of whether it can make the turn by itself. We are some way behind in Europe but common sense decisions like this would be an improvement now even if more complex stuff is further away.

Last edited:
I got 2020.24.6.1 today and got a chance to test real quick. It did require confirmation on green even with a lead car on some lights but it worked on other lights. The release notes do say that the car needs to be confident that the lane is not a turning lane so I wonder if for some intersections, AP is not 100% confident so it still asks for confirmation. But when the no confirmation did work, it was very nice. One less thing that the driver needs to do. It is a small incremental improvement. Hopefully, we will see even more improvements soon.

I got 2020.24.6.1 today and got a chance to test real quick. It did require confirmation on green even with a lead car on some lights but it worked on other lights. The release notes do say that the car needs to be confident that the lane is not a turning lane so I wonder if for some intersections, AP is not 100% confident so it still asks for confirmation. But when the no confirmation did work, it was very nice. One less thing that the driver needs to do. It is a small incremental improvement. Hopefully, we will see even more improvements soon.
So, looks like, with this we are back to the old AP in terms of not needing intervention when we have a leading car.

I’m sure by the time I go back to work sometime in 2022, it would have gotten better.

So, looks like, with this we are back to the old AP in terms of not needing intervention when we have a leading car.

Not quite. This feature will stop automatically at a red light with no lead car and no confirmation which the old AP could not do. It is only for green lights that it behaves similar to the old AP.

Not quite. This feature will stop automatically at a red light with no lead car and no confirmation which the old AP could not do. It is only for green lights that it behaves similar to the old AP.
Right.

But usually if you have a lead car, it would stop for red light.

Anyway, a good improvement- probably an easy one.

BTW, I was listening to George Holts interview on 3rd row podcast. He is trying to do end-end, even for traffic lights. Would be interesting to watch how it goes.

I tried it out today and my car automatically stopped for every red light and stop sign, and when I wasn't turning it automatically drove through all but one green light (out of about 30). The only time pedal confirmation for a green light was needed was when the nearest car was several hundred yards in front of me.

Literally no comparison to AP. Completely different technology and driving capability. IMO very smart way to roll it out to maximize safety, which is something everyone should support.

So far it seems to be a very impressive release. Look forward to seeing what Tesla has in store next.

Right.

But usually if you have a lead car, it would stop for red light.

Anyway, a good improvement- probably an easy one.

Yes but like I said, the big difference is with no lead car. With no lead car, FSD will stop at red lights automatically with no confirmation. AP will blow through a red light if there is no lead car.

BTW, I was listening to George Holts interview on 3rd row podcast. He is trying to do end-end, even for traffic lights. Would be interesting to watch how it goes.

Don't get me started on Holtz. He's a hacker who put together a DIY imitation of AP1 in his garage and thinks he can do FSD. I don't take any of his work seriously. At least, Tesla is a legit company with a lot of resources that is doing serious machine learning and adopting a serious approach to build FSD.

I’m on 2020.24.6.1 as of yesterday. The car now stops where there is no stop sign at all. There is a sharp curve on my road, it said “stopping for traffic control in xxx feet”, and the car stopped right before the curve. It also stopped at an intersection where cross traffic had a stop sign, but I didn’t, treated it like a 4 way stop.

This is why I maybe have 50 miles (since the initial release) of using this feature. Between auto steer being limited to the posted speed limit, and now this stopping for no reason, I’ll never use this until it’s vastly improved.

On a positive note, lane keeping and slowing for curves is improved on 2020.24.6.1. Much more fluid like.

Reactions: powertoold
Here’s a photo of the imaginary stop sign/intersection:
D3D7D5CC-4A7C-42C5-A6E0-47EDF265CEF0.jpeg

It says on the screen, stopping for T intersection, and that road does look kinda like a T intersection. I wonder if this is based on maps (maybe you should check out what that road looks like) or vision.

This all seems like intended behavior until they can start doing turns and/or make decisions about more complex stops.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Anyone noticing that the new "go on green" with a lead car does not happen very often? In my experience, it only triggers on certain intersections (per the release notes) but also only when the light was already green and the lead car is close and clearly crosses the stop line on green. So it won't trigger if the lead car crossed the stop line way ahead of you. And it won't trigger if you are stopped at a red light and then the light turns green with a lead car in front. At least not in my experience. Maybe it does, just not on the intersections that I've tested it on. But I am finding that I am still having to confirm with the stalk on a green light, with a lead car, most of the time.

So "go on green with no confirmation" worked when stopped a red light and then the light turning green, with a lead car. Weird. Seems a bit inconsistent when "go on green with no confirmation" works.

Anyone noticing that the new "go on green" with a lead car does not happen very often? In my experience, it only triggers on certain intersections (per the release notes) but also only when the light was already green and the lead car is close and clearly crosses the stop line on green.
It was pretty inconsistent in my brief test as well. My theory was that it doesn't drive through green when you're on a lane from which you could make a turn at the intersection (even if it's not a turn-only lane), but I haven't tested it enough to be certain. The inconsistency is annoying since you always need to keep an eye on the screen to see what's happening if you want to avoid sudden slow-downs. Turned it right back off. Not really usable in its current state.

Anyone noticing that the new "go on green" with a lead car does not happen very often? In my experience, it only triggers on certain intersections (per the release notes) but also only when the light was already green and the lead car is close and clearly crosses the stop line on green. So it won't trigger if the lead car crossed the stop line way ahead of you. And it won't trigger if you are stopped at a red light and then the light turns green with a lead car in front. At least not in my experience. Maybe it does, just not on the intersections that I've tested it on. But I am finding that I am still having to confirm with the stalk on a green light, with a lead car, most of the time.

Whenever I have stopped at a red light behind another car, my car starts by itself once the car in front begins moving, usually after a slight hesitation.

The only times it has not followed another car through a green light the other car was a fair bit in front of me, although I haven't used it enough to gauge the cutoff distance(s) yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
Tried the update yesterday. On a divided highway with stoplights and u turns in the middle, I could put on full AP with speed at higher than the speed limit. So that was good.

It still gets confused about traffic lights that don't apply to my lane however. I was in the left lane, and another left U turn lane opened up with a light. The light was red, but that light doesn't apply to my lane, but it wanted to stop anyway. Also I was going down a ramp and it saw a distant red light in a far lane as applying to me. It's jarring when this stuff happens and it makes me want to just turn the feature off.

It's kind of like the speed-based lane changes in NoA. When in heavier traffic You expend a lot of mental energy overseeing it, so I just turn it off and initiate speed lane changes myself. NoA just takes the ramps for me.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve