Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny Phone Call to the (877) Tesla Support yesterday about Firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So my 2015 S85D used to receive firmware updates on a regular basis and I was always in the beginning cycle of updates or at least within a week or two. March of 2017 I swapped out for a S100D for addtional range and AP2 & FSD(don't laugh at me:) My new car, now with 29,000+ miles on it has yet to receive a "natural" firmware update. Every update I have gotten was through a Service Center visit whether for maintenance or just out complaining that I was 2 months out and 7 updates past. Yesterday I called the Tesla Support group in California for the 20th time asking them to tell me why my car does not get firmware updates pushed to it. Here is the funny part "dialogue"

Tesla: Our records indicate that your car is communicating fine with us and we see no issues.
Me: Why does my car never receive FW updates?
Tesla: It depends on which features your car has.
Me: My car has every feature available INCLUDING FSD.
Tesla: I mean which options your car has.
Me: My car has EVERY option available EXCEPT rear facing child seats and a P in front of the 100D
Tesla: If you don't drive your car much it may also not receive updates regularly.
Me: I drive over 3,500 miles a month. What qualities as "you don't drive your car much"
Tesla: It is best to leave your car plugged in when at home and charge daily.
Me: My car is ALWAYS plugged in to my HPWC and always gets charged to 90% daily.
Tesla: The FW updates are random and not everybody gets every update unless there is an issue with their car.
Me: So me telling my SC advisor that my A/P is not working as well as loaner cars I have been given isn't an "issue"
Tesla: It will be sent to your car when it is in cue
Me: My last comment back, oh maybe it's my 21" wheels and obsidian black paint...That has to be it....

smh smh

I am currently on .44 only because I had my 100D uncorked but I guess I will have to tie up my local Service Center yet again after .52 comes out and I am 2 months and 9 updates old again.

We are picking up our Model X this Friday so it will be interesting to see how it does with firmware updates but since it has 22" onyx wheels and is also obsidian black it may never receive them either.

That's really odd. My car has been receiving pretty much every update. I got .42, .44, .46 (SC update), .48, and now I'm on .50.1
That being said, apart from easy exit, I wish I had .42 again. It was the best version for AP. Very smooth with curves and braking. Since .46 the braking is really harsh and jerky.

Most front line service people aren't going to know why your car isn't updating. I wouldn't worry about it.

If I had to guess they haven't released a GM release since .44 and others are just tests. Hell, look at .50 which was causing issues. It's best to just not stress out about it.

Yeah if you have .42 or newer, it’s very much possible that you just haven’t been luckily selected for a non-GA release yet.

In my experience it’s been a waste of time to pester Fremont or the service center about firmware, as they usually just deflect and say to wait for it. I know others have had better luck but I’ve given up and just wait for my updates. I’ve usually been on the tail end of GA rollouts but the nice thing about that is by the time I get the update I know exactly what to expect.

Reactions: Xtek and bmah
Lots of cars on .42. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sure, you had lots of updates with the past car. But there were less cars and less capabilities. It looks like it takes them more time to get a GA release. .42 was the last one to push everywhere based on firmware.teslafi.com and the other firmware tracking sites.