Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb Request Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After another FSDb iteration or two, I plan to install it. My understanding is that I will need to wait for the FSD base version* (2022.40.2) to catch up to what I have before I can get it.

Should I request it now? Install but not use it?

Thanks.

*What term do you use for this as opposed to the version of FSD (e.g. 10.69.3.1)?

the numbers that start with the year are "build" numbers. The other number is the "version". Admittedly both terms are frequently used interchangeably, which is likely confusing for people who aren't somewhat familiar with software source control and versioning.

It is confusing and people interchange them, but Tesla uses:

Software update” 2022.40.5 = “FSD beta” version 11

On a related note:
FSD Capability = $15k purchase or $199 per month subscription
FSD beta = limited early release of FSD (which isn’t out yet and doesn’t yet exist) that is now going publicly available
Autopilot = TACC + autosteer

You can request it now, but you won't get it until the version is newer than whatever you have installed now. FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 is 2022.36.20, so you won't get that one because you imply it's older than what you have now. There's also the question of whether you'll still need to qualify for FSD Beta v11 by driving 100 miles on AP.

Whenever you do get it, you can install it and not use FSD Beta features if you don't want to. If Tesla eliminates the 100 miles on AP requirement, there's no reason to request FSD Beta before you're ready to use it.

You can request it now, but you won't get it until the version is newer than whatever you have installed now. FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 is 2022.36.20, so you won't get that one because you imply it's older than what you have now. There's also the question of whether you'll still need to qualify for FSD Beta v11 by driving 100 miles on AP.

Whenever you do get it, you can install it and not use FSD Beta features if you don't want to. If Tesla eliminates the 100 miles on AP requirement, there's no reason to request FSD Beta before you're ready to use it.
I received FSD beta (10.69.3.1) without 100 miles on AP. There definitely *IS* a reason to go ahead and request FSD beta if that's what your want... otherwise you will probably continue to be offered software versions that bypass the next FSD beta release target.

Reactions: PianoAl
If you want it, request it and be prepared to wait.

I requested just after the "anyone can have it" tweet, but don't yet have it because I was already on 2022.40.4.1. What I find interesting, though, is that I have not been prompted to download or install 2022.44.anything - I suspect, although have no basis for this assertion, that Tesla is not pushing 2022.44 to those cars, like mine, that have requested FSDb but but are ahead of the current (v10) wide-distribution FSDb. I guess I'll receive some iteration of v11 FSDb (currently 2022.44.5 I think) at some point when they decide it's ready.

I just got my Model S back today after 8 weeks in service for a HV battery replacement, and requested FSD Beta today. The car was on 2022.28.2 when it went in for service, but 2022.40.4.2 was installed while it was there (not my choice), so I won't get 10.69.3.1. I received 2022.44.2 recently but didn't install it, and won't until it's confirmed that the next FSD Beta will be a newer build. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: Dewg
I just got my Model S back today after 8 weeks in service for a HV battery replacement, and requested FSD Beta today. The car was on 2022.28.2 when it went in for service, but 2022.40.4.2 was installed while it was there (not my choice), so I won't get 10.69.3.1. I received 2022.44.2 recently but didn't install it, and won't until it's confirmed that the next FSD Beta will be a newer build. We'll see what happens.
Update: I never installed the pending 2022.44.2 update, and yesterday I received and installed 2022.40.4.10, aka FSD Beta 10.69.3.3. This was the first FSD Beta build for my 2018 Model S. I barely drove the car since requesting FSD Beta almost a week ago, and didn’t use AP at all.

So, if I request FSD now, I won't get new builds for a while until my current build number is less than or equal to the build number for the latest FSD version, right?
There's no downside to requesting and installing (other than the features are about a month behind the regular build). Once installed. you can turn the 'FSD beta' on/off at will. If you have it off, it's just the normal FSD you always had. If on, then you see all of the beta things.