Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fully think that FSD should be able to park in angled spots when it reaches its destination, but again, if a person can't easily park in one on their own, should they really be driving? (It has to be easier than even making a right turn into the parking lot.)
I never consider auto park, summon, ASS as the most important part of FSD. It's a secondary goal. Right now I just want the car to drive correctly on the roads. But why FSD can do difficult things but doesn't want to do easy things? Besides we are talking about robotaxi with FSD going from point A to point B. Do we expect a passenger on a robotaxi to park the car himself/herself?

Reactions: VanFriscia
I never consider auto park, summon, ASS as the most important part of FSD. It's a secondary goal. Right now I just want the car to drive correctly on the roads. But why FSD can do difficult things but doesn't want to do easy things? Besides we are talking about robotaxi with FSD going from point A to point B. Do we expect a passenger on a robotaxi to park the car himself/herself?
Obviously not, there won't be a steering wheel or pedals.

Besides we are talking about robotaxi with FSD going from point A to point B. Do we expect a passenger on a robotaxi to park the car himself/herself?
No. I specifically said that I expect FSD to be able to do it. I think someone has reported that it already does in some circumstances. (I have yet to experience FSD parking itself at my destination.) But I, also, think it should currently be a low priority. (There are many issues with driving on the public roads that should be dealt with more urgency.)

What I don't think is that Tesla needs to work on adding support for pull-in, angled or straight. spots to the Auto Park feature and user interface.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Hyperbole aside, robotaxis on the road today (ala Waymo) don't park. They pull over to a curb and pick up a passenger, then drop them off in a similar manner at their destination, then continue driving to their next pick up. Not to say they won't someday be able to park in a carpark, but for now, it's not a thing.

(I have yet to experience FSD parking itself at my destination.)
Since I've been on v12, FSD "parks" for me at my house. By "park", I mean that it arrives at my house and then hunts for an open spot on the curb and then pulls over and parks at the curb. Previously it just stopped in the middle of the street and said I've arrived.

Many will agree with you and that is my preference too. But one of the things I've noticed now is a lot of people prefer to back in. Tesla needs to speed up backing into a spot along with adding head in and angled parking.
100% Pulling out of a parking space front facing is safer than backing out, especially when you don't have cross traffic alert (=TESLA). That said, people will almost always pull into your spot if you are screwing around trying to back in. At least, where I am.

This kind of reasoning will drive away people from buying FSD.
Seems like the opposite of that. A person without a license is now empowered.
It's also inconsiderate to disabled people, people who have difficulty with driving,
A disabled person will have an even more difficult time Supervising than just driving their car. I think you mean when FSD no longer needs supervision.
young people who don't have much driving experience.
I used to be one of those and I scare myself thinking about those times. Not only can't they drive a car with no real life experience and making mistakes, but they also have no clue about Supervising something they know nothing about. Or perhaps you meant when FSD no longer needs Supervising. Still ... that kid that knows nothing without making mistakes scares the ship out of me.

Always on the lookout for cars driven by the young, the impaired and FSDS.

Reactions: DrGriz
I read an article about self parking systems available in many cars today. The question came up about why auto parking systems don't park forward, only backwards. The author's response was "Because parking forward is incredibly easy, so it doesn't need to be automated". LOL
Not every place allows back in park in.

IMG_1491.jpeg

23 M3 No USS

Go burn your check.

Going to see if the model size changed.

Seems like some AI response, it posts no examples of parking lots that disallow backing in for perpendicular spaces. I personally have only seen that for angled spaces, but it is because it makes zero sense to back in for an angled space.

12.3.6 may be a point release for parking, but it's messed up other behaviors for me. After weeks of disengagement-free drives, today's trip left me puzzled. On leaving my house, there are three intersections without either stop or yield signs. In the past, FSD would pause, creep a bit and turn. Today at every one of these intersections, it stopped and sat until I poked the accelerator.

Also, FSD failed to properly traverse a two lane roundabout, stopping well before the circle and then stopping in the roundabout for no reason. Again, previous versions had handled this roundabout with ease.
I drove the same route again under the same traffic and weather conditions. This time the unsigned intersections were handled correctly, as was the roundabout. However on a 55 mph rural highway, FSD decided that every few miles the speed limit was 35 mph, despite there being no signs to that effect. OSM, Garmin and other speed limit sources indicated that the entire stretch was still 55 mph. There seems to be a gremlin in the 12.3.6 NN.

Seems like some AI response, it posts no examples of parking lots that disallow backing in for perpendicular spaces. I personally have only seen that for angled spaces, but it is because it makes zero sense to back in for an angled space.
And virtually all of those 'reasons' still apply, only now when backing out of the parking spot instead of backing in

I guess a real reason could be that backing up into a parking spot isn't required for passing your test in the US, so many drivers have no experience with it (as opposed to e.g. the Netherlands)

Reactions: Dewg
Mostly private properties or local laws require that. There are plenty.
One common reason is the police need to see the license plates

You can Google.

Okay - reading that gave me a headache. :) Every point they make is also true when you have to leave - meaning you have to back out of the parking spot.

1. Visibility: When vehicles back out of a parking space, it can be more difficult for other drivers and pedestrians to see them. This increases the risk of accidents, especially in busy parking lots where there are multiple vehicles moving in different directions [1].
  2. Pedestrian Safety: Backing out of a parking space can pose a greater risk to pedestrians. When a vehicle is backing out, pedestrians may not be able to anticipate its movement and could inadvertently walk into its path [1].
  3. Maneuverability: It is generally easier and safer for drivers to maneuver their vehicles when pulling forward into a parking space rather than backing in. This is especially true for larger vehicles like trucks, which may have limited visibility and maneuvering capabilities when backing up [1]. However, these vehicles will have a difficult time once they need to back out of the parking spot.
  4. Efficiency: Backing out of a parking space can take more time and effort compared to pulling forward. In a busy parking lot, this can cause delays and congestion as other drivers wait for the maneuver to be completed [2].
  5. Building and Property Damage: In some cases, allowing vehicles to back out of parking spaces can increase the risk of accidental collisions with buildings or property. This can result in damage to both the vehicle and the surrounding structures [2].

Reactions: enemji