Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My biggest worry with AP/FSD in general is swerving on to traffic suddenly departing the lane. That is very difficult to prevent even if you are very attentive and have your hand on the wheel all the time. V12 doesn't seem to do that (infact I'm aghast how little hands on the wheel we see with all the testers - I always have one hand on the wheel all the time and at intersections, both the hands).
In response to @pianoAI, I assume yhou mean “my biggest worry with AP/FSZD in general is it suddenly departing the lane and swerving in to traffic

To that point and related to the ‘over fitting’ discussion, how does a NN trained system handle situations where you need to break the rules? We saw a situation earlier where it appeared to hit some bollards. In general that’s wrong, unless your choice is hitting the bollards or hitting a pedestrian. Another situation is an object falling off of a truck. If there’s no oncoming traffic then you would cross over to avoid the accident. There are many situations in which one needs to choose the ‘least bad’ option and/or the correct path is also normally illegal.

It’s funny that Dirty Tesla has to explain to the driver that pedestrians “big time have the right of way” in a crosswalk with the green walk symbol.
No, at that point it was flashing don't walk, at which point pedestrians are not allowed to enter the crosswalk. But also like I said, literally everyone does it. From a pedestrian point of view, as long as you make it across before the countdown hits zero you are golden. The big time right of way in Ann Arbor generally references the fact that at unsignalled crosswalks, cars are required to yield even if a pedestrian is just on the sidewalk, not even right at the curb, which is pretty hard sometimes as a driver as you can't tell if they are just standing around or planning to cross. Especially in the places where bus stops are right next to the crosswalks :/

What is a “delayed walk” signal?
When the crosswalk stays red when the vehicle light is green at the start.
SmartSelect_20240313_162504_Firefox.jpg
Although on further review, the light was going red, in which case a vehicle in the intersection can complete it's maneuver (not running over pedestrians, of course)
SmartSelect_20240313_162905_Firefox.jpg
Yes, I'm sure their intent was obvious and the walk countdown was still in progress. The car should not have advanced.
Ok, so you are talking about later after walk was activated and about 4 seconds on the countdown.

No, at that point it was flashing don't walk, at which point pedestrians are not allowed to enter the crosswalk. But also like I said, literally everyone does it. From a pedestrian point of view, as long as you make it across before the countdown hits zero you are golden. The big time right of way in Ann Arbor generally references the fact that at unsignalled crosswalks, cars are required to yield even if a pedestrian is just on the sidewalk, not even right at the curb, which is pretty hard sometimes as a driver as you can't tell if they are just standing around or planning to cross. Especially in the places where bus stops are right next to the crosswalks :/
Green when he says “they’re just like whatever”
1710362092481.png

Plus there was nowhere for the Tesla to go due to traffic. Still, they were crissing on the red no walk...
That intersection is more complicated with how the lights and crosswalks are timed because of the fact that it is a T intersection so all cars are forced to turn into the pedestrians crossing, plus there are a zillion pedestrians there. In any case, the pedestrians weren't jaywalking, at worst they were just trying to get across before the countdown ended. The tesla should have sat and waited and then exited the intersection when it was clear.

At 95% of the non-T intersections downtown the walk symbol appears about 4 seconds before the light turns green.

That intersection is more complicated with how the lights and crosswalks are timed because of the fact that it is a T intersection so all cars are forced to turn into the pedestrians crossing, plus there are a zillion pedestrians there. In any case, the pedestrians weren't jaywalking, at worst they were just trying to get across before the countdown ended. The tesla should have sat and waited and then exited the intersection when it was clear.

At 95% of the non-T intersections downtown the walk symbol appears about 4 seconds before the light turns green.
Ok, I was right, that is a delayed walk signal
SmartSelect_20240313_171633_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20240313_171412_Firefox.jpg

SmartSelect_20240313_171547_Firefox.jpg

And first person was definitely jaywalking:
SmartSelect_20240313_171434_Firefox.jpg

Actually..

When one is playing with heuristics, one can look at a bit of code and say, "That code does this here in that situation." Lots and lots and lots of code, but it's all visible; one can even get the equivalent of printf's on the state variables during debugging and all that.

My understanding is that, with a NN, all that visibility is gone. The natural design is that there's inputs, lots; outputs, not so many, but what happens in between might not quite be a mystery, but it's close. So, the question of, "Just what was it computing?" might not have any easy answer.

True but we've been told this is nothing but net. Of course the truth serum is driving it where we all experience the results or lack there of. So we don't need to know where anything is happening just that the training is successful.