Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - TACC with it turned on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, I was one of the ones that spent the money on FSD - and everytime there is a new release, I like to turn it on and see how it performs.

My biggest use-case tends to be getting on the freeway, getting into the carpool lane, and just using TACC to keep me in that lane. With TACC this works VERY well.

FSD keeps wanting to move me out of the carpool lane - and it seems as if with FSD turned on, there is no option for "basic" TACC - ie, stay in this lane, and go no faster than this speed.

Or am I missing something?

Matt

TACC is traffic aware cruise control.

Autopilot adds lane keeping (auto steer) to TACC.

FSD does everything.

Autopilot won’t automatically change lanes for you unless you enable Navigate on Autopilot.

You can set minimal lane changes in FSD by changing the following distance (click right scroll wheel left or right) and selecting the Minimal Lane Change button that pops up on the screen.

Hi Folks, I was one of the ones that spent the money on FSD - and everytime there is a new release, I like to turn it on and see how it performs.

My biggest use-case tends to be getting on the freeway, getting into the carpool lane, and just using TACC to keep me in that lane. With TACC this works VERY well.

FSD keeps wanting to move me out of the carpool lane - and it seems as if with FSD turned on, there is no option for "basic" TACC - ie, stay in this lane, and go no faster than this speed.

Matt
Maybe you have enabled the setting to avoid carpool lanes?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Maybe you have enabled the setting to avoid carpool lanes?
I didn't even know that was a setting.... but I will mess with settings tonight and see if I can get it to work "simply"... :) I do have navigate on autopilot turned on, so maybe that is it - but I figured i would need a destination for that to kick in. In my case, I am in a lane, and I just want it to stay in that lane and not hit the person in front of me. When I enable FSD - it seems that it wants to move around people, even though I am in the carpool lane, and having to select "minimal lane changes" every single time is not awesome.

I didn't even know that was a setting.... but I will mess with settings tonight and see if I can get it to work "simply"... :) I do have navigate on autopilot turned on, so maybe that is it - but I figured i would need a destination for that to kick in. In my case, I am in a lane, and I just want it to stay in that lane and not hit the person in front of me. When I enable FSD - it seems that it wants to move around people, even though I am in the carpool lane, and having to select "minimal lane changes" every single time is not awesome.
Welcome to Tesla. This car is far from simple, and Tesla is guilty of not doing much training for new car buyers at delivery. More than any car on the market, it's very important to fully understand settings and controls, especially when using ADAS functions. Reading the manual, watching current videos, and familiarizing yourself with the settings at each software release is wise.

Telsa is often described as a computer on wheels. When your PC updates from Windows 10 to Windows 11, lots of things change, and it takes time to familiarize yourself.

Reactions: JB47394

You can jump between profiles while driving. Set up two profiles for yourself, one with FSD enabled, one without it enabled. Once you are in the carpool lane, switch to the non-FSD profile and enable TACC. When you no longer have a need for TACC alone, switch back to the FSD enabled profile.

You can drop from FSD to non-FSD on the fly without changing profiles but you cannot switch back again without having to end that drive and restart. Two profiles allows you to switch back and forth within a single drive.

Reactions: mathewbeall
Just for fun - I thought I would try FSD again since I got a new version last night.... geez - still so unusable for me.

I live in Orange County, CA - so busy freeways. I am on the freeway - and need to merge to the right onto another freeway. The far right 2 lanes exit to that freeway. I am in the #2 lane, and as we approach the transition - traffic is backed up in both lanes. What does FSD do? Why - tries to move out of the "slow" lane by going left. If it had done this, there would be no chance of getting back in further ahead.

I really wish FSD actually worked in my world.... :( Back to TACC with AutoSteer.

Just for fun - I thought I would try FSD again since I got a new version last night.... geez - still so unusable for me.

I live in Orange County, CA - so busy freeways. I am on the freeway - and need to merge to the right onto another freeway. The far right 2 lanes exit to that freeway. I am in the #2 lane, and as we approach the transition - traffic is backed up in both lanes. What does FSD do? Why - tries to move out of the "slow" lane by going left. If it had done this, there would be no chance of getting back in further ahead.

I really wish FSD actually worked in my world.... :( Back to TACC with AutoSteer.
Do you have MLC enabled? Try "Chill" mode, with MLC (Minimal Lane Changes) enabled. See if it stays in your lane.

I just got FSDb 12.3. I used to use 1 click for TACC and 2 for FSD. but now it seems like this is gone. and I couldn't figure out how to configure it--found place to enable 1 versus 2 click, but won't let me set it. Any advice?

I just got FSDb 12.3. I used to use 1 click for TACC and 2 for FSD. but now it seems like this is gone. and I couldn't figure out how to configure it--found place to enable 1 versus 2 click, but won't let me set it. Any advice?
That's what led me to this thread. I just want it to behave like it did before. Is that really too much to ask?

The "info" screen still indicates it is possible... but it's not.

20240328_133239b.jpg

Click the "i"...

20240328_133303.jpg

Lies! Double click behavior is exactly what I want. Not possible.

Say what, there is training? I've bought 4, no on-site training yet. hmm.
It's been just over 3 years since I bought mine, but I had at least basic training when I picked it up. How to change into D, N, R, P. How to use the wipers, some basic settings screen, including climate. And how to enable and disable AP. Nothing about how to use AP, EAP. I found YouTube videos on those.

Now, it appears, Tesla has actual video tutorials.