Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD purchase transfer or refund advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a MX in 2017. Bought FSD pre-release back when it was $3000, for the promise of delivery when it was finally ready. Never got it. Was always told, "Oh, as soon as you get the computer upgrade ..." or " Just 2 more software updates". I was most recently told I just had to have camera upgrades to get it (that was last week after calling Tesla customer service).

But 6 weeks ago w/ less than 6 years and less than 75k miles, the front passenger wheel just fell off. Ball joint valve broke. Didn't hit anything or anyone. Didn't have the wheels worked on recently. It just snapped. And the insurance company told me last week they are totaling out the car.

Now Tesla won't refund the FSD purchase I never received, nor will they allow me to transfer it to a new vehicle. I loved my MX, and I'd really like to buy another one, particularly with the recent price drops. But after a wheel falls off before 75K miles and they won't even refund the purchase I never received or allow me to transfer it to a new vehicle?!?! Does anyone have any advice as to whom I could talk to at Tesla or elsewhere to remedy this? Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

Jack

Bought a MX in 2017. Bought FSD pre-release back when it was $3000, for the promise of delivery when it was finally ready. Never got it. Was always told, "Oh, as soon as you get the computer upgrade ..." or " Just 2 more software updates". I was most recently told I just had to have camera upgrades to get it (that was last week after calling Tesla customer service).

But 6 weeks ago w/ less than 6 years and less than 75k miles, the front passenger wheel just fell off. Ball joint valve broke. Didn't hit anything or anyone. Didn't have the wheels worked on recently. It just snapped. And the insurance company told me last week they are totaling out the car.

Now Tesla won't refund the FSD purchase I never received, nor will they allow me to transfer it to a new vehicle. I loved my MX, and I'd really like to buy another one, particularly with the recent price drops. But after a wheel falls off before 75K miles and they won't even refund the purchase I never received or allow me to transfer it to a new vehicle?!?! Does anyone have any advice as to whom I could talk to at Tesla or elsewhere to remedy this? Thanks, in advance, for the advice.

Jack
You fell for Elon’s scam and are SOL.

You could potentially attempt to trade in the MX for another vehicle and do the FSD transfer (if the promotion is still running). But that’s about it.

You could also feel free to find someone to take on a class action. But again, I doubt you’ll see much traction on that. And certainly no remedy.

There’s no recourse. FSD stays with the car, which the insurance company owns now. Your only option is to make sure the valuation you receive from the claim is fair and represents the current market value for a 2017 Model X that has all of your options, including FSD.