Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 2022.69.2.2 braking when "seeing" approaching car in the opposite lane.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah, everyone else.

Musk mentioned in a few tweets that 10.69.x is set to be overly cautious due to a ton of code changes. He specifically called out VRUs (vulnerable road users, like pedestrians, bikers, etc), but it's definitely manifested as extra braking for oncoming cars too.

The car is now braking as another vehicle is approaching in the opposing lane.
This is happening especially when our vehicles approach each other on curves.
It's more like being
overcautious than phantom braking.
Anyone else?
I have this on a particular rural road where FSD will come to a full stop when the car approaches so disengage FSD for that part of my drive. Country road with tree top canopy so lots of shade. I have also had other instances of phantom braking when cars approach but nothing too bad.

Almost stopped (dropped to 6mph on a 45mph road that registered as 25mph that I'd increased to 33mph) on a straight stretch with an approaching truck. Earlier, dropped ~15mph for another vehicle. Very annoying.

drop-to-6mph.jpg

Almost stopped (dropped to 6mph on a 45mph road that registered as 25mph that I'd increased to 33mph) on a straight stretch with an approaching truck. Earlier, dropped ~15mph for another vehicle. Very annoying.

View attachment 857767
I think in this case it's because the truck is on/over the line.

I've noticed that my car will be super cautious if a car so much as touches the center line (happens a lot on a nearby road because it's very narrow).

Reactions: GtiMart
I haven't experienced this problem yet, mercifully. There are a few smaller roads near my place that are 2 and 4 lane roads, with just a yellow stripe divider. I've had many cars opposite me and never had the car slow down. However, I have not experienced a large truck opposite me, as most semi's are forbidden on smaller roads near me (signs saying trucks over a specific weight are not allowed).

I do admit that I tense up a little when a larger car/suv/pickup approaches, expecting it might PB, but so far it hasn't. Note: this is on FSD Beta, AP/NoA is only active on freeways around me, which are 8+ lanes and divided.