Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a toggle switch? And what does it look like? Where did you put the switch?

The switch itself is a circuit board within that white box that they worked on so hard to create. To activate the switch, a wireless remote is used. One could either use that remote, or program one of the 3 slots the Homelink control on the touch screen to activate the switch.

Rick and WhiteP85, you guys are awesome! Can't wait for this to become available. Rick, how much space is in that kick panel? Is there enough to get this in there comfortably, or is it fairly tight?

The switch itself is a circuit board within that white box that they worked on so hard to create. To activate the switch, a wireless remote is used. One could either use that remote, or program one of the 3 slots the Homelink control on the touch screen to activate the switch.

Rick and WhiteP85, you guys are awesome! Can't wait for this to become available. Rick, how much space is in that kick panel? Is there enough to get this in there comfortably, or is it fairly tight?

My first impression is that it's fairly tight but I'm not even going to try to place it until I get the Chinese cables. The Tesla stock cables result in about 3-4 feet of extra cable that have to be stuffed into the space.

Here's another video I shot in a public parking place. It was a very gray day, with intermintent snow showers and other crappy weather, so the video is not exactly crystal clear.

The video is pretty shaky as I was holding the camera with one hand and using the other to push the HomeLink "Camera Switch" toggle I programmed with the remote.

After a partial day of parking experimentation, I didn't even notice the horizontal image inversion. If you're watching out for obstacles it almost doesn't matter.

One thing for sure. Knowing how close the front of the car is to obstacles I can now park with a lot more confidence. What you see is what you get.

Here also is a photo of the HomeLink toggle I programmed with the remote that comes with the switch.

_DSC4490.jpg

Given the time it will take to manufacture the PCB and box it will be about 8 weeks before these are ready to ship. So everyone will have a bit of an unavoidable wait. In the meantime I'll take the time to prepare the installation instruction and list of parts and tools needed of the install.

BTW, the PCB box has four screw-in wire contacts: 12v, ground, SW1, and SW2. SW2 is a toggle for a connection to any light or circuit that's triggered by putting the car into reverse. So if you're in the front camera view it will automatically switch to the rear, and switch back to front view when the rear signal toggles off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a royalty license issue.... see attached link showing HomeLink sales contribute $16 million/quarter to the new owner of the patents/technology.

Gentex posts 76% increase in Q4 net income

Wow. This is one dubious patent, as all it really does is relay the signal through the car to the controller. I'm not a technology wizard, so maybe it's much more complicated than it seems.

Rick,

Where do we access/tap into the reverse wire for connecting to SW2? Can it be found in the kick panel, or do we have to run a wire all the way from the taillight housing to the switch?

By the way, I like your videos, even if on a crappy day. In fact, I thought the resolution was exquisite. Next time, get someone to hold the camera for you and do a little narrating. I couldn't tell which was the front and which was back (which is a very good thing, actually).

This is amazing work. I was wondering if there was a reason the connectors need to be at a right angle to the enclosure -- it would seem to me that this takes up considerably more space than having them in plane with the flat axis of the box. Sorry for my ignorance on electronics design...regardless, still interested!!

Rick,

Where do we access/tap into the reverse wire for connecting to SW2? Can it be found in the kick panel, or do we have to run a wire all the way from the taillight housing to the switch?

By the way, I like your videos, even if on a crappy day. In fact, I thought the resolution was exquisite. Next time, get someone to hold the camera for you and do a little narrating. I couldn't tell which was the front and which was back (which is a very good thing, actually).

On one of these threads someone indicated that the parking lights turn on when the car is put in reverse. If that's true it would be far easier to tap that lead. If not, has someone yet figured out where the leads for the backup lights are?

- - - Updated - - -

This is amazing work. I was wondering if there was a reason the connectors need to be at a right angle to the enclosure -- it would seem to me that this takes up considerably more space than having them in plane with the flat axis of the box. Sorry for my ignorance on electronics design...regardless, still interested!!

WhiteP85 thought of this. Problem is we were not able to obtain any right angle connectors. Right now the box and wiring is exposed in my car, as I have to leave it that way for the event in DC this weekend. As soon as I get the Chinese cables I'll pack it all in and replace the kick panel. It will be tight but it should fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pics or video of you pulling into a spot with a curb in front?

Here are a few more. Pulled up to a curb with snow all around, and in my office's park lot where I have to do a maneuver every day to part by pulling up to the yellow lined curbs and then backing in to my space.

_DSC4500.jpg

_DSC4501.jpg

How about some pics of the actual camera? I'm interested once I see the whole final project with wires put away. Strangely, the wife is less comfortable with aftermarket products than I thought she would be.... Especially for something like this.

also, good work. I'm surprised tesla hadn't pulled this exact thing off.

That's SO cool. I could really use it on my MS. I tend to have to get out of my car and then pull forward a little bit at a time to make sure I don't hit. And yes, I have the Parking sensors. I simply don't trust them… I hope Tesla starts installing these kits as I'd be all over it. I don't think I have the nerve to cut holes in my bumper and take the dash apart. :(

Is there a link to some installation instructions available yet?

Last edited:
That's SO cool. I could really use it on my MS. I tend to have to get out of my car and then pull forward a little bit at a time to make sure I don't hit. And yes, I have the Parking sensors. I simply don't trust them… I hope Tesla starts installing these kits as I'd be all over it. I don't think I have the nerve to cut holes in my bumper and take the dash apart. :(

Is there a link to some installation instructions available yet?

I'm working on the instructions and should have them ready in rough form by the weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Do you think we can mount the camera so we see the front lip the way we see the back bumper? Better reference no? Again thanks for all this, can't wait for my kit!

I suppose it could be done with some modifications to the bottom of the nose cone. But the crash bar might not allow the space.

- - - Updated - - -

How about some pics of the actual camera? I'm interested once I see the whole final project with wires put away. Strangely, the wife is less comfortable with aftermarket products than I thought she would be.... Especially for something like this.

also, good work. I'm surprised tesla hadn't pulled this exact thing off.

Here are a few shots of the camera itself, it that's what you meant.

View attachment 42966

View attachment 42967

View attachment 42968