Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Münster (Germany) to Amsterdam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I'm driving the Model S from Münster (Germany) to Amsterdam on Sunday. The plan is to drive via Zevenaar-SC. I've been driving some miles in Southern Germany, but never at northern Germany nor in Nethernlands.

- Do you have any hints for driving a Tesla in Netherlands? Anything must-know issues?
- Do you have any ideas of places to visit on that route? (it's a holiday - I've got time to stop for something interesting)

Thanks!

Tuomas,
Finland

Hi Tuomas,

From SuC Zevenaar the normal route is via Arnhem and Utrecht (A12), then continue on the A2 towards Amsterdam.

I don't understand why Glitch and BvL recommend places like Suc Oosterhout, Dordrecht, Delft and Leiden. They're nice but really out of your way. On your route Arnhem and Utrecht are the major cities, but it will take some time to visit them. In my opinion it would be a better option to spend the extra time in Amsterdam.

Have a great trip!

I don't understand why Glitch and BvL recommend places like Suc Oosterhout, Dordrecht, Delft and Leiden. They're nice but really out of your way. On your route Arnhem and Utrecht are the major cities, but it will take some time to visit them.
Huh, the guy is from Helsinki ... what does it mean then "out of your way" :tongue:

Have a different recommendation though (nothing to the detriment of Dordrecht, or Delft, or Leiden), and not just because I like it so much, it is at #10 of "52 Places to Go" according to the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/01/10/travel/2014-places-to-go.html?_r=0

Also, when you get here, make sure to check if it is still a good time to make a trip through the area between Amsterdam / Haarlem / Noordwijk / Leiden where I guess the bulb fields will still be in full bloom. Get a beer at Noordwijk beach and be surprised about the long stretches of sandy beaches.

Last edited:
Welcome to Amsterdam! It is a fun city to enjoy and drive the Tesla as long as you like city driving and some narrow streets. Parking at 11kW type2 charging spots is available within a 300m radius of wherever you want to go. Private parking and charging is rare to find in this city. Not sure how you can get a card to activate but plugsurfing works fine. The Rijksmuseum (and others) and the Royal Palace are nice places to visit if it rains. Otherwise, enjoy the city center or outside of town, tulip fields and beaches. Depending on where you stay, some parking garages have charging options. If you would rather park outside the city center and want to use public transport, you can park in my neighbourhood, I have free space available, 10min tram ride to the central station. PM for info, or any other questions. A12-A2 is one route, depending on traffic and part of Amsterdam you are heading, Tesla will navigate you through A12-A1 which is fine too.

Tuomas - had a look at your pictures.. some of them are really very niche... Thank you !
for those who did not take the trouble to have look, here is just one of them..

tesla_full.jpg