Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone from the US rented a Tesla in Germany?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headed to Bavaria this summer for a family trip and thinking it would be fantastic to rent a Tesla since they're pretty easy to find and there are nearly 20 Superchargers along our planned driving route. While I've taken lots of road trips in our EVs over the years, I've never attempted it in Germany. Any encouragement or words of caution from those who've tried it?

This answer is too late for your trip but might be useful for others.
I've just come back from a 3-week trip (September 2023) driving in southern Germany and rented a Model 3 from Hertz at Frankfurt airport. There's no problem with charging the car during my trip. At most superchargers, there were only my car or one or two others. I never had to wait for a spot. The charging fees are accrued to my rental and were paid when I returned the car. The cost of charging is surprisingly low. It cost me on average less than $50 a day for both rental fee and charging fee (extra insurance declined). I drove less than 4000 km while the allowance was more than 5000 km so I didn't have to pay for extra miles.
Driving in Germany was a pleasure: roads extremely well maintained, nary a pothole. Drivers disciplined. I didn't have to worry about someone trying to sneak past me on my right. Highway on ramps and off ramps well designed and safe unlike the crazy few yards I get for merging at some places in California.
The only 2 minor things: garage spaces tend to be narrower than those in the US and driving in old cities sometimes can feel like driving ON busy sidewalks.