Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Inside Sales Rep: Latest News re: Signatures, Production Configuration, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard the rumor about all production reservation holders being allowed to configure before the end of the year. Does this mean that people who come late to the party will be able to get their X before others who placed a reservation months or years earlier? Does it mean they will be able to play with the configurator but not be able to submit their order? Does it mean they can submit an order but if a reservation holder with a lower sequence number submits their order later, the one with the lower sequence number will be given build priority?

I would contact NASales with these questions.

i contacted NASales and started a 'running email dialog' with them over the last couple days. I have s PX reservation made in August 2013 and asked about when the configurater would open and more importantly when we would get 'specs' on the vehicle. Answers: configurater should open before the end of the year and the specifications should be released Before that.

I heard the rumor about all production reservation holders being allowed to configure before the end of the year. Does this mean that people who come late to the party will be able to get their X before others who placed a reservation months or years earlier? Does it mean they will be able to play with the configurator but not be able to submit their order? Does it mean they can submit an order but if a reservation holder with a lower sequence number submits their order later, the one with the lower sequence number will be given build priority?
You will probably get the design studio and be able to configure and check out all the options and pricing but will not be able to order until asked to do so.

I doubt any of us know, but my guess is that it'll be first-come, first-served as far as configuration goes. I'm guessing it's a complicated system of batching and revenue calculations, but to me it seems likely that some later reservation numbers will deliver before some early ones. I hear what you're saying, though - it'd be a real downer to have a reservation for 2 years and watch someone that just reserved get their vehicle first.

(Note, my reservation is as of Feb 2014, so I would be closing in on the two years..)

I just wonder if they will open the floodgates all at once like they did with the X event in September. After inviting the signature reservation holders, they pretty much opened it up for all production reservation holders. While I appreciated the invite (X reservation #17138), I could understand how others how had made a reservation years earlier would be upset to find out that someone who had just placed a reservation would be able to "jump in line" ahead of them since they RSVP'd right away.

Hopefully they will stagger the configuration invites so that #20000 doesn't get his X before #2 gets hers, just because he happens to be sitting in front of the computer when the configuration invitation is sent out.

- - - Updated - - -

You will probably get the design studio and be able to configure and check out all the options and pricing but will not be able to order until asked to do so.

Thanks for your input. That's how I hope it works.

I just wonder if they will open the floodgates all at once like they did with the X event in September. After inviting the signature reservation holders, they pretty much opened it up for all production reservation holders. While I appreciated the invite (X reservation #17138), I could understand how others how had made a reservation years earlier would be upset to find out that someone who had just placed a reservation would be able to "jump in line" ahead of them since they RSVP'd right away.

Hopefully they will stagger the configuration invites so that #20000 doesn't get his X before #2 gets hers, just because he happens to be sitting in front of the computer when the configuration invitation is sent out.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your input. That's how I hope it works.
If you use the S production as an example there will be some orders/production and deliveries taken out of line. This occurred because of configuration (especially battery/motor size ), batching for color and location of delivery.

I suspect TM will avoid the mistake they made last time where some Sigs were receiving their Ss after some production reservation holders...but one never knows .

the above is why I would contact NASales for help with your questions

If you use the S production as an example there will be some orders/production and deliveries taken out of line. This occurred because of configuration (especially battery/motor size ), batching for color and location of delivery.

I suspect TM will avoid the mistake they made last time where some Sigs were receiving their Ss after some production reservation holders...but one never knows .

the above is why I would contact NASales for help with your questions

I can totally understand batched orders, but within reason, meaning it's ok if #300 gets his before #200...but not if #20000 gets his before #200 just because he ordered a certain option.

I'm not in a rush as I am one of those who needs folding 2nd row seats. I'm content to wait a while to see if they will be offered...or if there's a minor refresh of the S.

I can totally understand batched orders, but within reason, meaning it's ok if #300 gets his before #200...but not if #20000 gets his before #200 just because he ordered a certain option.

I'm not in a rush as I am one of those who needs folding 2nd row seats. I'm content to wait a while to see if they will be offered...or if there's a minor refresh of the S.

My guess would be that generally P90D orders will tend to be delivered before 90D to maximize profits, and I doubt they'll hold too many 'bodies in white' just in case an earlier reservation number decides to commit, when a later reservation number is already fully committed...but that earlier person may jump to the front of the line once they DO commit. So we're likely to see a big mix of things in the end.

Having said this, clearly they do batching internationally and it makes sense that they would batch North American deliveries as well, so none of us should be surprised to see a bit of "skipping" around reservation dates. Depending on how clever the Tesla robots are, surely a key benefit of limited options means they can produce blocks of vehicles with certain configurations before re-configuring robots for another configuration. Just typing up the thought...maybe re-config isn't needed at all.

I tend to agree with @tonx. Although adherence to date of reservation (following signature reservations) or date sequence makes some sense, batching model types, color and leveraging economies seems reasonable. I too would suspect P90D's would make more sense the maximize profits. Just as the Model S Design Studio became open to all reservation holders with several months wait, it seems likely that Tesla will follow with the X -- keep in mind the plant is capable of up to 1000 Model X's a week. Poof goes a backlog quickly after ramp issues are pass.

My Tesla web page says:

"Reserved
Your Model X was reserved on 2/10/2012. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation."

so I'll take Tesla at their word.

This is my guess at what will happen. Before 12/31/2015, all the specs and production pricing will be published and the production configurator will open for all Model X reservationists. Everyone with a US (at least) reservation will be able to save a configuration, including X 75D (?) configurations that won't be built until later in 2016. There will be some kind of "all reservations made prior to MM/DD/YY date" rolling window to lock-in those configurations, which become firm orders after 7 days. The date velocity will be dependent upon where the ramp is and is expected to be along with lead times. Of course, Tesla will do production and shipping optimization of these firm orders as they've done before.

Personally, if waiting until the end of the year to configure/lock-in means I'll get to see a Model X again, have more complete specifications, and maybe even a (delayed availability?) folding 2nd row seats option for those that want that, I'm happy with it. It also respects the people that gave Tesla a $40K free loan for the right to configure a Signature Model who couldn't get to "The Reveal" mid-week for one reason or another a chance to do so. Not everyone makes a major purchase decision based upon JPEGs, Youtubes, and words on websites!

Also, on Thursday at 4 pm, on the way to an appointment, I cruised by the Tesla Test Track and saw a Model X pulling a large trailer around the track. I was in a hurry so no time to stop to photograph it, so Scout's Honor. Let the speculation begin as to why they were dragging a trailer around their test track behind a Model X?

Last edited:
Also, on Thursday at 4 pm, on the way to an appointment, I cruised by the Tesla Test Track and saw a Model X pulling a large trailer around the track. I was in a hurry so no time to stop to photograph it, so Scout's Honor. Let the speculation begin as to why they were dragging a trailer around their test track behind a Model X?

I would be fairly sure that they are doing robustness testing on the tow hitch. That does not necessarily mean there is an issue there, but just that they might feel they do not have as many hours of testing the hitch under real-life load conditions, though corners, etc., as they would like.

Right. Why Tesla even bother to give us information when some members on this forum know exactly what the situation is.

Good to see you back.

I agree that we should not label people. However, it would cause less speculation and labeling IF TM came out with some consistent information about timelines and specifications...IF they know them...... and if they don't, just say 'we are delaying production/deliveries' to make the best and safest SUV available'. The vacuum created by no information OR inconsistent information leads to speculation, good or bad, by all of us.

FYI: I emailed NASales a few days ago, asking about Canadian homologation progress, view/test-drive opportunities here or Seattle, and voting for 72A charging.

I got a prompt but fairly non-committal answer, with no info on Canadian cars, possibly "next year" for demo cars, and no acknowledgement about 72A charging at all.

Not very fulfilling....

Towing a trailer around the track might be part of every new vehicle test these days or they might be testing increased weight allowances or even a new design...possibilities are quite open with little info.

Kinda surprised that more enterprising journalists are not taking more queues from the test track these days...

... I cruised by the Tesla Test Track and saw a Model X pulling a large trailer around the track. I was in a hurry so no time to stop to photograph it, so Scout's Honor. Let the speculation begin as to why they were dragging a trailer around their test track behind a Model X?

Seems like they need to verify/text the "Tow mode software package". I wonder if when you turn Tow Mode on that it adjust the Trip Energy Prediction display/processing?

Image: http://i.imgur.com/X48EKGc.png
X48EKGc.png