Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent Bluetooth disconnects with v6.0 (15) and iPhone 6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Up thread I reported that IOS8.1 fixed my issues, but I was wrong. Very wrong. We just came back from a trip to Austin (around 200 miles) and the streaming dropped, more or less, every 5 minutes. There's absolutely no apparent pattern, it'll happen regardless of source (Podcasts, BBC Radio Player, TuneIn, Spotify, Songza). Waze is generally running at the same time. For the last hour of the drive we reported the bug via the voice recognition, but I've done that maybe 20 times now, so I'm not sure what impact it's having. It's getting really annoying though, and is a safety hazard as I constantly have to reconnect. The routine it goes through is always the same:

- Audio source stops
- the phone drops off the Bluetooth menu
- The phone re-appears
- I select the phone
- Audio starts, or I hit play (depends on the app).

If I try to speed up the process, then I get the spinner and a message on the center screen saying that the Bluetooth is initializing.

this occurs on an iPhone 4, 5 and 6. Very annoying. The voice calls do the same thing, though my calls tend to be short, so it's not always an issue.

Up thread I reported that IOS8.1 fixed my issues, but I was wrong. Very wrong. We just came back from a trip to Austin (around 200 miles) and the streaming dropped, more or less, every 5 minutes. There's absolutely no apparent pattern, it'll happen regardless of source (Podcasts, BBC Radio Player, TuneIn, Spotify, Songza). Waze is generally running at the same time. For the last hour of the drive we reported the bug via the voice recognition, but I've done that maybe 20 times now, so I'm not sure what impact it's having. It's getting really annoying though, and is a safety hazard as I constantly have to reconnect. The routine it goes through is always the same:

- Audio source stops
- The phone re-appears
- I select the phone

If I try to speed up the process, then I get the spinner and a message on the center screen saying that the Bluetooth is initializing.

this occurs on an iPhone 4, 5 and 6. Very annoying. The voice calls do the same thing, though my calls tend to be short, so it's not always an issue.

Did you try rebooting the car, and do you have a Pebble, or perhaps another BT peripheral? The Pebble still causes this problem for me when it's connected to the phone.

Did you try rebooting the car, and do you have a Pebble, or perhaps another BT peripheral? The Pebble still causes this problem for me when it's connected to the phone.

Yes, I rebooted everything, and 'forgot' everything, but it didn't help. I do have a Pebble, but it doesn't cause any issues in our other car, but I'll turn it off on the way home today to see if it makes a difference. Still, even if that's the cause, I'd still like it to work as designed, I don't have issues streaming music at any other time when connect to the Pebble, or my Bluetooth headset in the office. It's due for a service now, so I'll mention it again.

Yes, I rebooted everything, and 'forgot' everything, but it didn't help. I do have a Pebble, but it doesn't cause any issues in our other car, but I'll turn it off on the way home today to see if it makes a difference. Still, even if that's the cause, I'd still like it to work as designed, I don't have issues streaming music at any other time when connect to the Pebble, or my Bluetooth headset in the office. It's due for a service now, so I'll mention it again.
Yeah.

I have Pebble issues with things like Wahoo Fitness HRM and other devices, so I always look at it first. I know I have a problem with Pebble and Tesla Firmware 6.0 (as well as prior versions).

- Audio source stops
- The phone re-appears
- I select the phone

Wow, this is exactly what is happening to me. My family just got back from Disneyland and both ways of the trip had very frequent issues exactly as described. It happened with both my and my wife's iPhone 6’s.

And here's the kicker, we both have Pebbles. So it seems that is an obvious common thread, and interestingly, my wife does have similar issues in our Leaf, though I haven't.

We're both on the latest Pebble firmware and we're both on iOS 8.1 though it happened on every version of iOS 8 we've had on our iphone 6’s. We don't recall ever having issues with our iPhone 5’s running iOS 7. But that could be coincidence since our Pebbles were running older firmware then...

Yeah.

I have Pebble issues with things like Wahoo Fitness HRM and other devices, so I always look at it first. I know I have a problem with Pebble and Tesla Firmware 6.0 (as well as prior versions).

Yup, you're spot on, it's the Pebble (or some kind of conflict as a result of the Pebble/Model S). I've been turning off the watch for the past couple of days, and not had a single issue. Like Jomo25, both my wife and I have Pebbles, so it's kind of tedious to have to turn them off all the time (plus they're being used as step-counters, and I need to catch everything pathetic step I make!). Sigh. I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again, Bluetooth sucks.

Yup, you're spot on, it's the Pebble (or some kind of conflict as a result of the Pebble/Model S). I've been turning off the watch for the past couple of days, and not had a single issue. Like Jomo25, both my wife and I have Pebbles, so it's kind of tedious to have to turn them off all the time (plus they're being used as step-counters, and I need to catch everything pathetic step I make!). Sigh. I've said it many times before, but I'll say it again, Bluetooth sucks.
Too bad! I was hoping you were going to come up with the magic answer!

Well, installed 8.1.1 today and still screwed up. Folks who have fixed things with turning off Pebbles, are those Bluetooth LE or Classic devices? I thought they were LE, which shouldn't interfere with the car.

I haven't had the BT issues since disabling the BT on the Pebble (which sorta defeats the purpose of the Pebble). The Pebble communicates with the iPhone via both BT LE and "Classic". So, not sure which is interfering.

My wife and I plan to get Apple Watches anyways, but not sure if it will encounter the same issue?

We still have the GPS hangups and occasions where it thinks we're in the middle of the South Atlantic ocean or in Russia. That's really getting annoying...

Edit: Never mind the below, it broke again. I give up.

Just a quick update: I think I've fixed the issues I was having. When looking through this site: http://www.autoconnectedcar.com/201...bluetooth-connected-cars-use-the-nuke-it-fix/ I noticed that one suggestion was to rename your iPhone. My old iPhone 5 had the same name as my new phone, so maybe it had some stale configuration hanging about I guess is the reasoning. I didn't expect it to work, but it did! I've played audio all afternoon with no trouble so far.

So maybe something worth trying if you had a previous iPhone paired to the car with the same name. I deleted the old phone BT entry from the car as well.

Last edited:
So, I too have replaced my Pebble with an Watch. Had it since day 1, though I was out of the country til this past week.

I had previously noted the Pebble causing the BT disconnects in the Tesla. Disabling the BT in Pebble solved my problems. I had hoped the Watch wouldn't lead to the same issue. At first I thought all was clear (as noted by others here too).

But the last couple days, I had the BT disconnect problem re-appear. Now, it might be Watch-related, but I noticed that I ONLY seem to have problems when using Facebook on my iPhone 6. I can't understand why this would be, but I have recreated it a couple times.

Can anyone else try and see if you have similar issues?

Last edited: