Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Charging on 1500 Mile Road Trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently completed a 1500 road trip, relying on the supercharger network to keep the battery charged. My Model 3 is a RWD LR that I took possession of in June. What surprised me on this trip was that after supercharging, the charging display showed a $0.00 fee each time and I can't find any supercharging charges on my credit card. I haven't done anything that I know of to qualify for free supercharging. I'm not complaining, but I also don't mind paying for supercharging to support the growth of the supercharging network. Or is it just that Tesla accumulates the charging fees and only charges my credit card once a month? Any ideas?

Sign into your tesla account and click 'history' in the top right. You may have pending charges there.

I have found a couple of things:

- The display in the car is not always accurate
- Supercharging charges to not hit your account instantly
- Even if you don't have a CC properly tied to your account, tesla will let you charge and accumulate charges to the account
- Sometimes you do get charging for free

Some superchargers seem to not be resulting in a fee. In my account, it seems that the Superchargers that report usage in kWh are all showing "No charge," whereas the ones reporting usage in units of time are resulting in a fee. I think this has something to do withTexas only allowing official power companies to charge for power by the kWh. I'm guessing some Superchargers are not set up to report by time and those are currently resulting in no charge.

Some superchargers seem to not be resulting in a fee. In my account, it seems that the Superchargers that report usage in kWh are all showing "No charge," whereas the ones reporting usage in units of time are resulting in a fee. I think this has something to do withTexas only allowing official power companies to charge for power by the kWh. I'm guessing some Superchargers are not set up to report by time and those are currently resulting in no charge.
It seems more random than that of when glitches cause the charge not to register. I’ve been charged (on screen and in real life) at superchargers in states than charge by kWh and in states that charge by the minute.

It seems more random than that of when glitches cause the charge not to register. I’ve been charged (on screen and in real life) at superchargers in states than charge by kWh and in states that charge by the minute.

My Model 3 hasn't left Texas yet, so all of my experience is within Texas. From within that pool of data, none of the Superchargers that report by kWh have charged me.

From my experience a couple weeks ago, the 'newer' Superchargers along I-80 in Wyoming report charges but the older Superchargers on I-80 in Utah and Nevada don't...or at least they haven't yet. One exception was Evanston. It's one of the 'newer' Superchargers but we still weren't billed for it yet.

I got my 3 back in May, so no free Supercharging either. My folks and I took a road trip to Fort Benning last month for my nephew's graduation from Basic Training. Reconciled my AMEX bill over the weekend and realized a number of expected charges were missing. Just checked my account at Tesla and see that everything since October 22 is at $0.00. Our stop at Baton Rouge on the way back is missing. Overnight stays w/destination charging where done in Mobile on the way there, Lake Charles on the way back. Slidell stop on the way there was an opportunity charge due to a rest stop.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 1.44.34 PM.png

My Model 3 hasn't left Texas yet, so all of my experience is within Texas. From within that pool of data, none of the Superchargers that report by kWh have charged me.

Certain superchargers in Texas don't charge period. Specifically the Collins Street Bakery ones all seem to be gratis. I've charged at them a few times and never had anything hit my account. Others have mentioned they're free as well.

Who knows. I'm supposed to have FUSC, but was charged when I used the SC. I have been told several times they will fix it. They did credit my account for the SC I was charged for and assured me I have FUSC, but my account still show Pay Per Use SC. I think it's random at this point. If you get it for free and aren't supposed to, awesome. If you are supposed to have FUSC and get charged, you have to send them an email to fix.