Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former muscle car owner - thoughts and opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These Tesla forums are too much sometimes. This is the only car forum I’ve ever been on where every single thread praising anything about other cars has to be attacked as if it were a virus in the body.

Interesting take on things.

In my experience, every car forum I've participated in has sounded very much like this one in tone. It's sort of the nature of the beast, IMO.

A a

In my experience, every car forum I've participated in has sounded very much like this one in tone. It's sort of the nature of the beast, IMO.

I agree with you. The BMW and Lexus forums are the same. Mention the GSF or RCF in a BMW forum and they are called crap. lol

You think Tesla is respected there? They pretty much say the interior is from a fisher price manufacturing plant. :)

There are reasonable people too. I wouldn't like a muscle car but i will someday get a Miata for open air cruising and fun at the track :D

For those that forgot what a good set of pipes sound like, here is a jaguar xk8 with Macleod mods. Btw, good pipes don’t go well if you have a head cold. Feels like your teeth are getting ripped out through your nose...but generally worth it :). Like owning a jaguar, it’s good to experience once in your life. Maybe not twice. Careful with your speakers on this video.

MacLeod MK II Dyno Test - Video

It’s OK to love the model 3 but admit that it is not the greatest car in every imaginable way or that the sound and feel of rolling through the gears of a performance ICE car with a well tuned exhaust can’t be duplicated by a silent single gear EV.

love 3 pedal heel/toe track experience,
had a clutch in every cars since my youth,
exercise on track regularly, love getting in
proper gear n clipping the apex!

the world has changed, V8, clutch, pipes...
those are hammers, P3D is a scalpel.

most friends wouldn't even get behind the
wheel of cars I owned, because they had
clutch & HP/TQ? those skills are mostly gone,
and difficult to drive on the street/freeway.

manners & speed are new world order for
the street, not to mention economics.

Perhaps it has more to do with this being my first “luxury” car where folks have more invested in justifying their decision to purchase than anything Tesla specific. My last 5 cars were

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R with JDM NEO VVL swap (8500 rpm of fun)
1994 Nissan Sentra XE with SR20 + Turbo swap (270 whp in a 2200lb car)
1998 Chevy Metro + 2002 WRX wagon (one got 50mpg the other had awd and 300 whp it was a nice combo for commuting + weekend fun)
2015 Nissan Leaf (boring, no range, but reliable as anything and well appointed considering I paid $17500 out the door after incentives).

The Sentra guys all had Honda Civic envy because of the easy b16 and b18 swaps available to them. The WRX guys had a lot of respect for the EVO. The metro people knew the car was crap but liked the fuel efficiency. And the Leaf folks (myself included) mostly all had Tesla envy but couldn’t afford one. :)

Considering the $46.3k I dropped on my P3D+ with FSD is more than I spent on all of those other cars combined I should expect a different attitude on the forums.

Last edited:
Perhaps it has more to do with this being my first “luxury” car where folks have more invested in justifying their decision to purchase than anything Tesla specific. My last 5 cars were

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R with JDM NEO VVL swap (8500 rpm of fun)
1994 Nissan Sentra XE with SR20 + Turbo swap (270 whp in a 2200lb car)
1998 Chevy Metro + 2002 WRX wagon (one got 50mpg the other had awd and 300 whp it was a nice combo for commuting + weekend fun)
2015 Nissan Leaf (boring, no range, but reliable as anything and well appointed considering I paid $17500 out the door after incentives).

The Sentra guys all had Honda Civic envy because of the easy b16 and b18 swaps available to them. The WRX guys had a lot of respect for the EVO. The metro people knew the car was crap but liked the fuel efficiency. And the Leaf folks (myself included) mostly all had Tesla envy but couldn’t afford one. :)

Considering the $46.3k I dropped on my P3D+ with FSD is more than I spent on all of those other cars combined I should expect a different attitude on the forums.

The attitude is different here, but I think it is driven by an almost cult/underdog protective feeling we are placed in when we buy a Tesla. Even here in Florida overv90% of people I run into have never seen (or at least noticed) a Tesla in the wild. Another 5% (or higher) seem surprised that there isn’t a gas engine hidden away somewhere, so general knowledge of the car just doesn’t have much bandwidth.
Putting that in perspective of Nissan or Chevy or pretty much any car we’ve had in the past where at least everyone knows the manufacturer and the common mechanics of a gas engine car and you just end up getting owners that are a tad more protective and find themselves in almost a teaching mode. Add in that the car keeps ‘changing’ almost every update and we deal with a learning mode also.
As a result, does this forum seem similar to Miata, Jaguar, Chevy, bmw forums I’ve been in before? Not really. But it does feel a lot like Atari, Apple, and even ETA supercomputer forums I’ve been in in the past (yes, that dates me :) ). So, yes, we are the computer on wheels club.
Closest experience I’ve had to the Tesla is when I bought a Toyota MR2 when they first came out. Always had this gathering around the car when I decided to take the top off and snap it into the front trunk while I had the rear trunk open. People hadn’t heard of mid engine cars before :). The novelty factor big time.

Perhaps it has more to do with this being my first “luxury” car where folks have more invested in justifying their decision to purchase than anything Tesla specific.

We're way off-topic here so this is my last comment regarding forums:

I don't think it's that. Again, the tone here is similar to other forums I've participated in.

In any case, back on topic: Who else misses their muscle car (or doesn't)??

My car history:
2005 Pontiac GTO (4 speed auto with 4000 stall converter, full boltons, heads, cam, headers, 200 shot nitrous) 2006-2011
2009 Pontiac G8 GT 2011-2012
2008 Corvette (6 speed auto, full exhaust and boltons) 2012-2015
2014 Corvette (7 spd manual, Centrifugal supercharged with full exhaust, made 620rwhp on a dynojet) 2015-2019

Now Model 3 Performance. I do have to say I am enjoying the quiet performance still. It's not the greatest car in the history of the world but it's a pretty nice contrast to my past. I do miss the sound of my last Corvette at wide open throttle under 10psi of boost every once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: TyH2009
I have always been a Corvette \ performance guy and now my Corvette gets no love. The Corvette offers no advantage in my daily travels and feels and sounds archaic and is much slower to boot.

Once you get used to the instantaneous torque and silence of electric, you begin to understand why ICE will be going by the wayside. Loud exhaust noise and tailpipe emissions will be a thing of the past. It is one thing to appreciate the exhaust noise when it actually meant something. Now the noise is superfluous if not just plain obnoxious. Why make a bunch of racket and bring attention to others letting them know you are driving older, slower technology?

One of my favorite things is coming across a loud muscle car at a stoplight. For some reason they always have their window rolled down so I roll mine down and ask if they would like to give it a go. Typically I get oh, that's one of those Teslas, oh well, sure, what the heck. Needless to say they get all the attention from the racket with people wondering who the teenager is in the muscle car and I am just gone!

After 9 years, I'm selling my Cadillac CTS-V Wagon (still has collector value which will pay for a huge chunk of my PM3).

I have no idea if this is inappropriate on a Tesla forum, but there do seem to be a fair number of people - especially in this thread - who are "car people". In case any of you have friends who are still into ICE muscle, my V-Wagon is up for auction; link posted below. I ask for mercy in advance if I shouldn't have posted.

I'm feeling a sense of bittersweet excitement as I inch closer to my PM3 delivery date...

2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon

Cheers,

/TCP

Reactions: Arctic_White
I was away for a week and then drove my BMW 335xi (stage-two tuned) around the block. I thought it was seriously broken. The torque in my 90D is so much better. The same went for my wife’s automatic 530xi. Also, I’ve noticed that when I leave self-driving on in the on-ramps, it takes them at much greater speed than I would have ever driven my 335xi. And we don’t need to get into how relaxing it is to drive. Plus, no BMW explosions from hitting potholes!

Some fella was driving his Challenger fastish on 46 the other day, having a good day so on a lark, I thought the silent car should keep up with him. Eventually I just blew past. I wonder what he thought.

Tesla is just a much, much better vehicle for me from a driver’s point of view. If I want to go fast, I can always take the Tesla to a ski area and go fast. Good thing it performs better in the snow than my BMWs did with snow tires.

Lurker here with a 2017 BMW M4, 6MT and tuned. Going to miss rowing gears, but not in traffic. It is sold and going away this week to the new owner. Heavily considering the M3P, but trying to find one available locally for a test drive is difficult. Any car I get, I need to be able to make my own; wheels, lower stance, carbon bits, etc. I'm thinking the model 3 will make for a fun platform that checks that box and also lets the tech geek in myself have completely new experience at the same time.

Lurker here with a 2017 BMW M4, 6MT and tuned. Going to miss rowing gears, but not in traffic. It is sold and going away this week to the new owner. Heavily considering the M3P, but trying to find one available locally for a test drive is difficult. Any car I get, I need to be able to make my own; wheels, lower stance, carbon bits, etc. I'm thinking the model 3 will make for a fun platform that checks that box and also lets the tech geek in myself have completely new experience at the same time.

Try Turo, if no local member offers you a ride/drive.

Or you could just go to your local Tesla store!

Hey there, how did you sell yours? I need to unload mine.
If you can arrange it, some Tesla stores let you keep the car overnight on weekends, especially handy if they are closed Sundays. But yes, Turo.

Hey there, how did you sell yours? I need to unload mine.
If you can arrange it, some Tesla stores let you keep the car overnight on weekends, especially handy if they are closed Sundays. But yes, Turo.

Posted on Facebook groups relative to the F8x platform.

Looking at Turo and Service Center and local Showroom. They have LR AWD, just not performance version yet. Have feelers out to get into one if it comes available for a test drive.

You will enjoy the 3. I've owned 20+ cars and built custom cars for years. I don't miss rowing gears, leaks, ICE issues, filling gas tanks, etc... Tesla has really made the electric car something special. I appreciate classic cars and the Porsches I love so much but electric is so great with eveything Tesla offers above and beyond just being an electric vehicle. I recently sold my last turbo Porsche because it wasn't getting driven.

These Tesla forums are too much sometimes. This is the only car forum I’ve ever been on where every single thread praising anything about other cars has to be attacked as if it were a virus in the body. It’s kind of a trip and slightly cultish IMO.

It’s OK to love the model 3 but admit that it is not the greatest car in every imaginable way or that the sound and feel of rolling through the gears of a performance ICE car with a well tuned exhaust can’t be duplicated by a silent single gear EV.
Eh, people defend their consumption choices. I made a post several months back on reddit, calling the P3D an 'electric muscle car.' The amount of hate I got was impressive.