Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Mustang Electric SUV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canceled my reservation and switched to the MY. Great looking but it's clear I would have been Ford's software guinea pig for 2 years while they try to catch up with Tesla. My reservation for the California RT 1 edition - 300mi range but a 98kwh battery which I was hoping would not downgrade when official numbers came in. The MY is able to get roughly the same range with a smaller battery.

Reactions: wreighven
Canceled my reservation and switched to the MY. Great looking but it's clear I would have been Ford's software guinea pig for 2 years while they try to catch up with Tesla. My reservation for the California RT 1 edition - 300mi range but a 98kwh battery which I was hoping would not downgrade when official numbers came in. The MY is able to get roughly the same range with a smaller battery.

One of the questions which I don't believe is well understand is to what extent will Ford and other car companies provide equivalent over the air updates as Tesla. For example when the Model 3 was evaluated by Consumer Reports they would not recommend the Model 3 due to problems with the brakes with repeated 60-0 panic stops. Elon got personally involved and within 1 week Tesla updated the brakes firmware and immediately pushed it out to the fleet. Will other car companies engineer this level integration with their over the air updates? Not to mention all the other over the air updates Tesla pushed. Just because other companies say they will provide over the air updates doesn't tell us what this really means. I don't believe anyone knows probably because none of the media is asking the question.

"Tesla CEO Details Plans for Model 3 Brake Fix
Elon Musk responds after Consumer Reports finds a problem with braking performance and other flaws"
Tesla CEO Details Plans for Model 3 Brake Fix

I almost reserved one, but figured I want to see one and get a few questions answered first. But I’m hoping it turns out to be a great car. The industry needs more good electric vehicles. Ultimately, I’d love to reserve one, but it seems the motor efficiency isn’t up to what Tesla is currently producing — hence the 300 mile range on the top config with a 98kWh battery. Not sure how many bugs will be in the initial production and how long it will take Ford to get them ironed out. This is not easy. If it were, all the automakers would have just dumped EVs on the market. Not wild about the mid 6 second 0-60 time. Meh... They call this a Mustang... bleh... Hopefully it improves for final production.

Kinda like the Electric MINI. I wanted to really like that car. I love how they priced it, I think they did too well on that front actually. The 110 mile range and 7s 0-60 time really misses the mark and misses their target market. Slowest MINI, like ever. They obviously were not paying attention to the market. If they would have given it a 230+ mile range and 0-60 at 4.5s or faster, even at $10K higher price tag, they wouldn’t be able to make enough of them.

Reactions: wreighven
I have owned a Ford hybrid for 12 years, and I could write plenty related to their service center's struggles in dealing with hybrid / battery issues. I am firmly convinced that Ford's effort will be half assed at best, incompetent and downright futile at worst.
Did you know that currently Ford dealerships have no tools to recondition/recharge a deeply discharged HV battery? Once a car is brought in, they will order a charger from Ford mothership. The cost is $999 to ship it freight, followed by addition $500 in charger rental and labor (what labor, anyway). And the process could take up to 3 weeks before the charger arrives (I guess Ford has limited number of them). Dealerships also have no clue on identifying/troubleshooting issues with battery cells, HV cooling issues, etc.
Meanwhile, ICE engine is perfectly capable of recharging the battery on its own, but they tied ICE ignition to HV capacity. Too low and car is a dead paperweight.

While I wish them well, I have no reason to believe that their jump into full EV market will be nothing short of incompetent.
They know how to make ICE engines, and in my opinion they do an excellent job with them (I have owned Fords for 22 years), but they have to change from top to bottom before their efforts in EV tech will pay off.

I considered Mach E for a bit, but that thought died when my car's HV battery depleted again.

One of the questions which I don't believe is well understand is to what extent will Ford and other car companies provide equivalent over the air updates as Tesla. For example when the Model 3 was evaluated by Consumer Reports they would not recommend the Model 3 due to problems with the brakes with repeated 60-0 panic stops. Elon got personally involved and within 1 week Tesla updated the brakes firmware and immediately pushed it out to the fleet. Will other car companies engineer this level integration with their over the air updates? Not to mention all the other over the air updates Tesla pushed. Just because other companies say they will provide over the air updates doesn't tell us what this really means. I don't believe anyone knows probably because none of the media is asking the question.

"Tesla CEO Details Plans for Model 3 Brake Fix
Elon Musk responds after Consumer Reports finds a problem with braking performance and other flaws"
Tesla CEO Details Plans for Model 3 Brake Fix

Totally agree. So much of these cars' value is the software. Committing to OTAs is one thing, but imagine all the bugs there will be in the first year? MY benefits from M3 production and years of software improvement. Granted Ford probably won't have the fit and finish issues but now I'm reading the Mach E will have self driving hardware as a separate hardware package with software promised later.