Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who purchased or upgraded to a 2023, are you happy with your decision, knowing what you now know about your vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a deposit down on a '23 MYLR, and feel I probably yolo'd this vs doing better homework. That being said I'm still in a place where I can cancel my order but I'd like to get opinions from actual '23 owners and their thoughts if knowing what you know now, would you have waited or are you happy with your purchase.

Reading other posts and forums about some of the changes like removal of USS, and upcoming tech changes like 4680 batter and HW4 has me really re-thinking things.

Not to mention common tech like blind spot monitoring, 360 camera & front camera, carplay are not available

For additional context, used Tesla's where I live are actually more expensive than new, and don't qualify for federal incentives because, well, used, so actually cost even more than new. I'm in Canada if that matters at all

Solution
Really what it comes down to is I don't know what quality I will get, will it be amazing and have no issues, or will it be a headache that I have to dump to keep my sanity, and yes I know any car can be like that

Imagine buying a house but you can only look through the windows and the person selling it to you states any issues you can create a service request for and maybe we'll fix it if we determine it's an issue

---

To add, in post #21 in this thread I was set to pick up the vehicle on April 29, but Tesla cancelled and rescheduled stating the vehicle had yet to arrive, this gave me additional time to interestingly enough look for more good things about the vehicle, accessories, what things to do, etc. but instead more issue...
So far we had one Model 3 RWD and one Model 3 LR AWD. Loved both. Build quality is great for a "new" car company but for sure at this price range you possibly can find other options with better build quality but I think it stops there. We are upgrading yet again to Model Y LR with new pricing and incentives. Lack of USS is the only reason we haven't placed our order yet. But keep in mind Tesla's usually have the best range in EV market + their supercharging network cannot be beaten by any other companies. We have done many road trips with our Teslas and always been happy. Also, car does have Blind Spot monitoring but instead having a warning sign on the side mirrors, it will alert the driver on the monitor and will even prevent you from changing lanes. I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase :)

Upvote 0
I think I would be ok without the USS if there was a camera on the front bumper, my Mercedes has both Sensors and 360 degree camera and both work great together, especially in winter here in Alberta where roads are gross 1/3 of the year often covering either the sensors or cameras, but at least the other is there to take over for support

My wife is a short person, and I'd be worried about her ability to properly park the vehicle without the sensors as I hear the visibility in the MY is challenging

Reactions: sokhangoo
Upvote 0
Actually, I'm 50/50 now. I didn't need to test drive Model Y before ordering one but now I will test drive overnight to make sure I'm fully comfortable with not having USS.

Just did a test drive, the Tesla vision is ok, but I can’t compare it to a USS as they didn’t have any ‘22 on the lot. My experience was as follows and maybe this can be determined if a similar experience or not

When stopped on the side of the road the lines got wavy and we opened door to about a foot away from the curb, the Tesla vision showed it closer

At a stop light the car in front of us disappeared on the display so I tried creeping up closer to it, nothing showed then all of a sudden it said stop and beeped pretty loudly

When driving down a narrow road with cars parked on the right side, it didn’t show or alert to any of them

It also thinks a lot of vehicles are semis

I tried backing into a parking spot between 2 cars, I got fairly close to one and it didn’t beep or alarm and the lines on the screen were fairly faint so I dunno if it’s evaluation of close is the same as mine

I guess the biggest thing I can imagine, the front end of the car is invisible, and without a front cam or some type of sensors, it’s just opening up the opportunity for a spatial awareness collision

I also spoke to the sales rep about my concerns, and he said he drives these vehicles all the time, when TV first came out it didn’t work but it has gotten much better recently. He also said that with a dirty rear cam it still functioned in his tests

Last edited:
Reactions: sokhangoo
Upvote 0
I'm 100% Tesla will incorporate front camera in it's line-up within 1-2 years. And I'm sure it will improve Tesla Vision over time via over-the-air updates to it's cars. Unfortunatley, we just have to be patient with the process as we are in the middle of the transition between USS and Vision ...

Upvote 0
I took delivery of a 2023 Y long range at the end of January. I put in my order perhaps a week after they dropped the price $15,000 in Canada and took delivery about only 10 days later. Checking the claimed durations would give you a bead on my mental sharpness LOL. I like the car. I bought it with Enhanced Autopilot and am toying with spending more to get FSD which I realize is a misnomer at this point. The worst disappointment to me so far is the software update that gave me park assist as part of autopilot. Despite the disclosure before purchase that I would not immediately be getting automatic parking or the automatic summon functions I had still expected a car with something like the feature i had to wait for weeks to get by the early April software update. I did a test drive of a new Model Y with only 400 km on it being sold by a Hyundai dealer (they had 2 - and must have got them through deception) shortly before my purchase decision. I offered the Hyundai dealer the dropped price by Tesla and the Hyundai dealer wanted the old price from some poor clueless soul they could fool. The interesting thing is that the car I test drove had better park assist than what I got from the early April download for my new car. The old car must have had USS. Anyhow, the new car has no USS and the quality of the park assist at this point is worse than useless for getting in and out of my tight garage. Maybe they can do better with future software. The idea I gather is to learn by experience how to assess distances from different simultaneous camera images over time as the car moves. So initially I'd hoped the software might markedly improve over time, but it hasn't and I can officially grade it to be worse than useless for getting in and out of my garage. It makes a racket of complaint as I back out repeatedly telling me to stop. I'd never get out if I paid attention. When you think about it, USS is all at the front of the car, so the problem backing out has to be pure software deficiency. The rear view side cameras are great so I don't see a need for such a problem. On the highway I find the enhanced autopilot useful on freeways. I use it on city streets as well, subject to having to help it with intersections and sometimes other things. I have not done a deeply systematic assessment but I like having it. I'm interested in buying FSD so I can have a beta version which I know is far short of true FSD but which I think I'd still like having. Foolishness? I need to do more evaluation. I tend to believe that with the hardware I have I'll never have fully functional FSD given that HW4 which is coming will support a number of more cameras, and these will each have something like 4 times the resolution of my cameras. Beyond that the new computer in HW4 has a form factor that makes fitting it into the same space as my present computer unlikely. I've watched some FSD videos on Youtube (not enough) and I wonder at the detail in the depiction of traffic - which exceeds the detail of the depictions of traffic on my screen. That may just be software but I wonder. The view of vehicles to the left and right of intersections interest me. That would have to be based on the cameras on the side of my car between the front and back doors. The location of those cameras seems less than great being so far back, but when you think about it, they are only slightly behind the head of the driver who traditionally was the one making traffic judgements. My sense is that the software I am now using just does not use those cameras in driving and if I bought FSD I'm guessing those cameras would come into force for the first time for building the traffic images on my screen. I saw some guy labouring through the thought process of how the new cameras coming could not possibly in his mind work with the same driving software as the old cameras now in place, and I think his thinking is flawed. I have a good background in software and I do not think there is a sound basis for his concern that he will be left with nothing. To make software maintainable it is built in modules that perform very particular functions quite distinct from other modules and functions. It makes testing far easier as you just separately determine that each piece does its job. The job of the camera system seems to me to allow the building of a dynamic model of the reality of the road and the traffic within the computer.. Other quite distinct software would do the job of figuring out what the car must do from this model of the world in response to the driver's instructions and the objectives being served by the self driving system. The separation of these functions in software should mean that you can upgrade the cameras and the software for building a model of the world the car is in, without a total redo of the software that tells the car features what they each must do in response to that world to meet required objectives. So, yes, I'd expect there to be ongoing limitations from my HW3, but I'd also expect some inferior level of ongoing functionality that would not be lost as more advanced hardware and software were put in place. That's my theory, and for now I'm sticking to it. LOL Finally, once the FSD objectives are finally largely met at some yet remote time - the price may get worse. It could turn a car into a taxi without a labour cost. My car is unlikely to be good enough for that without different hardware, according to my best guess. They are not upgrading hardware because they don't have to and just want to make a show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I took delivery of a 2023 Y long range at the end of January. I put in my order perhaps a week after they dropped the price $15,000 in Canada and took delivery about only 10 days later. Checking the claimed durations would give you a bead on my mental sharpness LOL. I like the car. I bought it with Enhanced Autopilot and am toying with spending more to get FSD which I realize is a misnomer at this point. The worst disappointment to me so far is the software update that gave me park assist as part of autopilot. Despite the disclosure before purchase that I would not immediately be getting automatic parking or the automatic summon functions I had still expected a car with something like the feature i had to wait for weeks to get by the early April software update. I did a test drive of a new Model Y with only 400 km on it being sold by a Hyundai dealer (they had 2 - and must have got them through deception) shortly before my purchase decision. I offered the Hyundai dealer the dropped price by Tesla and the Hyundai dealer wanted the old price from some poor clueless soul they could fool. The interesting thing is that the car I test drove had better park assist than what I got from the early April download for my new car. The old car must have had USS. Anyhow, the new car has no USS and the quality of the park assist at this point is worse than useless for getting in and out of my tight garage. Maybe they can do better with future software. The idea I gather is to learn by experience how to assess distances from different simultaneous camera images over time as the car moves. So initially I'd hoped the software might markedly improve over time, but it hasn't and I can officially grade it to be worse than useless for getting in and out of my garage. It makes a racket of complaint as I back out repeatedly telling me to stop. I'd never get out if I paid attention. When you think about it, USS is all at the front of the car, so the problem backing out has to be pure software deficiency. The rear view side cameras are great so I don't see a need for such a problem. On the highway I find the enhanced autopilot useful on freeways. I use it on city streets as well, subject to having to help it with intersections and sometimes other things. I have not done a deeply systematic assessment but I like having it. I'm interested in buying FSD so I can have a beta version which I know is far short of true FSD but which I think I'd still like having. Foolishness? I need to do more evaluation. I tend to believe that with the hardware I have I'll never have fully functional FSD given that HW4 which is coming will support a number of more cameras, and these will each have something like 4 times the resolution of my cameras. Beyond that the new computer in HW4 has a form factor that makes fitting it into the same space as my present computer unlikely. I've watched some FSD videos on Youtube (not enough) and I wonder at the detail in the depiction of traffic - which exceeds the detail of the depictions of traffic on my screen. That may just be software but I wonder. The view of vehicles to the left and right of intersections interest me. That would have to be based on the cameras on the side of my car between the front and back doors. The location of those cameras seems less than great being so far back, but when you think about it, they are only slightly behind the head of the driver who traditionally was the one making traffic judgements. My sense is that the software I am now using just does not use those cameras in driving and if I bought FSD I'm guessing those cameras would come into force for the first time for building the traffic images on my screen. I saw some guy labouring through the thought process of how the new cameras coming could not possibly in his mind work with the same driving software as the old cameras now in place, and I think his thinking is flawed. I have a good background in software and I do not think there is a sound basis for his concern that he will be left with nothing. To make software maintainable it is built in modules that perform very particular functions quite distinct from other modules and functions. It makes testing far easier as you just separately determine that each piece does its job. The job of the camera system seems to me to allow the building of a dynamic model of the reality of the road and the traffic within the computer.. Other quite distinct software would do the job of figuring out what the car must do from this model of the world in response to the driver's instructions and the objectives being served by the self driving system. The separation of these functions in software should mean that you can upgrade the cameras and the software for building a model of the world the car is in, without a total redo of the software that tells the car features what they each must do in response to that world to meet required objectives. So, yes, I'd expect there to be ongoing limitations from my HW3, but I'd also expect some inferior level of ongoing functionality that would not be lost as more advanced hardware and software were put in place. That's my theory, and for now I'm sticking to it. LOL Finally, once the FSD objectives are finally largely met at some yet remote time - the price may get worse. It could turn a car into a taxi without a labour cost. My car is unlikely to be good enough for that without different hardware, according to my best guess. They are not upgrading hardware because they don't have to and just want to make a show.

Knowing what you do now, would you buy it again?

I drove my friends M3P today that has USS and FSD, it definitely had a different look to the screen compared to the MY that I test drove yesterday

Upvote 0
Knowing what you do now, would you buy it again?

I drove my friends M3P today that has USS and FSD, it definitely had a different look to the screen compared to the MY that I test drove yesterday
Yes, I'd still buy it when I did. It is a given fact that we are on the front end of very rapid changes. And obviously better things are coming fast. But I am kind of a climate catastrophe kind of guy and it thrills me no end not to be puking fumes into the air. Beyond that I'm 76 and adapting to change is not getting easier for me, so now I'm adapting while I still have something between my ears. If I'd waited until now, I could have bought the same car for $10,000 Can less thanks to government money from Ottawa and fredericton. Do I regret that? Not really - other people need the money more. I really buy the reality of the climate emergency and I am only sorry it took me so long to get where I am now. I just love the amazing energy efficiency of the car despite having a battery that gives it such good range. And I love the premium connectivity. I am getting very close to deciding to buy FSD too despite inevitable (my view) ongoing imperfections due to my car's hardware/. I do think it will help this old man feel more relaxed in driving. As I think about it more, my guess is that the folks like me who don't have the best hardware are apt to end up with slower acting versions of FSD which are not as able to move aggressively through traffic but may still be pretty safe. Tesla loves to cultivate a love of aggression - hard acceleration etc. - and the better HW4 likely will better allow that. But for me, we drive the car on the chill setting ALL the time. And if it weren't for my daughter we'd have never even farted the car. So if you're an old fart like me.....

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141
Upvote 0
I'd like to get opinions from actual '23 owners and their thoughts if knowing what you know now, would you have waited or are you happy with your purchase.

Being an older driver (mid 60s) and new to Tesla (and EVs in general), I have zero regrets with our 2023 MYLR purchase. With Tesla, especially if you're "into" their cars, it's way to easy to overthink your upcoming purchase. "If I had waited, I could have gotten the one with an octovalve". "If I had waited, I could've gotten one with a heat pump". "If I had waited, I could have gotten one with the new headlights". If I had waited, I could've gotten one with the comfort suspension and the privacy cover for the trunk". You get the point. It doesn't matter when you get your Tesla because one thing is guaranteed. A few months after you take delivery, Tesla WILL introduce another upgrade to their vehicles. If you actually plan to buy FSD, you may want to wait on the refresh and the switch to HW4, but that may push you into next year and you will miss out on a great summer of Tesla ownership. If FSD is not in your plans, take the advice of this Boomer and just seize the day & enjoy the ride.

Upvote 0