Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki For those who have placed an order for a new 3.0 battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming up on a year since I ordered mine. No word on install date yet :(

I'm with you. It has now been 1 year since I ordered. I frequently ask for an update at my local Service Center, and they have no information at all.

On the bright side, they will owe me $1000 back on the battery replacement by the end of this month.

I pestered them for a while a few months ago, then stopped. Then called yesterday and she started making the appointment for me! All set!
But before she finished, she put me on hold, said she needed to confirm something, then said she needed to call me back today. And nada.
Just trying to match up dates here, seems like a year wait is about average, but I'm ready for the install now!

...So, I waited a day or two and then called them to find out status.....
"oh, yeah, ok, um, the parts department doesn't show your order."
Not yet ready to panic, I gave them my order confirmation number and they said they would get back to me....

Then I got a follow up email this afternoon...
"Unfortunately the parts department has not received information regarding your deposit for your Battery upgrade.
Please reach out to [email protected] for more information."

Rather than bellyache, I did as instructed.
I forwarded that email on to online orders and noted the Nov 9th 2015 order date.
Then I went back and confirmed they charged the deposit to my credit card a year ago (they did).

And tomorrow is another day.....

Just got my phone call for the Roadster 3 upgrade tentatively scheduled for November 29th pending verification that they have all the required parts shipped to Columbus, Ohio for the upgrade. Ordered 9/9/2015.

Ah, so that was almost exactly 14 months.
I'm at one year and one day and back into purgatory again.
They located my order and I got the old, "sorry for delay, your parts are not available yet, we will update you when we know more."

That's the message I was told 3 months ago when I asked, but today I got a better answer! I hope everyone waiting gets a call soon.

Yikes! Anybody know if Tesla has stated how long the queue is (# of orders, not anecdotal time) for the 3.0 battery, and / or how many have been delivered?

Still debating with myself on whether to throw my hat (and check book) into the ring...

Tesla has made no statements that I am aware of regarding how many people have placed 3.0 battery orders, wait times, etc., nor will they. It's not their style.

The longe you wait to put down a deposit for a 3.0 battery, the longer it will be before you get one.
Yeah, I know... I guess my "logical" challenge is to monitor the battery and predict a year (or whatever) in advance when the range will start to take a dive, and drop the order then. CAC seems to be holding at just under 142. I get 167 on a standard charge at 24 amps, a bit higher if I charge slower, and down to about 164 if I charge any faster. This is with about 42k miles on the original 2010 pack. So, I think I'm in the lower part of the "normal" range if I read the long-term battery site's data correctly, but since I retired last year, my yearly mileage has gone way down. So this could take a while.

Countering that "logical" approach is the emotional one, the thought that spending $29k will eliminate the hassle and enable me to drive the car to my kids' places at 160 and 215 miles distant, all freeway. 160 is barely ok on a Range charge (212-ish), but she doesn't have a place to charge so I can't get home. 215 is out of the question even on a Range charge without a stop somewhere for several hours in both directions. Yes, both can be done, but the hassle factor makes it not-fun enough that I take the ICE instead. :(

I know - why do I even have the car, if not for it being both fun and trying to change the world? But it's still $29,000.00...

Reactions: dhrivnak
I think that trying to predict wait times by looking at historical times is probably not going to work.

It seems like what's happening is that Tesla can only do them so fast, and the limit is the number of spare ESSs that they have. Imagine that they only had one extra ESS. Then they'd take that one, upgrade it to a 3.0 battery, ship that off to a service center and install it, take the old battery from that car and send it back to Tesla for an upgrade, repeating the cycle. With one spare ESS, they're limited to one upgrade per cycle which probably takes a couple of weeks, I'm guessing. With 2, they could do 2, etc. until they start running into the limit of how fast they could process them at Tesla. Since 1.5s and 2.0/2.5s have non-interchangeable ESSs, they run on separate cycles (and evidence is that the 1.5 guys got it faster).

So, if that's what's going on, how long it will take you to get your upgrade is determined by how many people are ahead of you in line. My guess is that not too many people are signing up now (as opposed to when they first made it available), and in particular that people are signing up more slowly than they can process them. So, the longer you wait to sign up, the shorter time it is from signing up to getting your installation. I'd be amazed if you signed up in a year from now and it would then take another year to get your battery. Until, of course, they stop doing the upgrades altogether, which will eventually happen (if for no other reason than that they'll stop being able to get the new cells).

One would hope that the HG2 cells will be replaced with another chem 18650 cell if they become unobtainable.

If this was EOL for the Roadster with regards to replacement packs Tesla would have said as such and a lot more people would have ordered.

On my original 2010 Roadster with 35k miles... I still get 176 standard miles so it would be foolish to upgrade at this point since I have only seen a 15 mile degredation in ideal miles since taking delivery. Previously it was 191 miles ideal when I purchased the vehicle.

I would have ordered a pack and kept it in my garage until my old pack gave up its ghost vs waiting. If this is the only migration solution the Roadster owners should at least know that is the business model...

If not perhaps the tooling can be obtained by a third party so that they can start to produce packs for these vehicles once and/if Tesla abandons them completely with the advent of the next-gen Roadster.

Tesla also has a huge market cap and could easily throw roadster people a bone. They aren't a small company anymore... A team of 20-30 could easily work on keeping the Roadster alive with no effect on future products. It will have 0 impact on anything else.

Since 1.5s and 2.0/2.5s have non-interchangeable ESSs, they run on separate cycles (and evidence is that the 1.5 guys got it faster).

Correction: SOME West Coast 1.5s got it faster. It has been over 14 months since I placed my order, and the Rockville Service Center has made a guess that I might get my upgrade around the end of March.

I suppose the thing that bothers me some is the lack of communication from Tesla. You place an order on the site, you plunk down $5k (not nothing) and there is no communication from them after that at all. Were I not reading this forum I might think my order had gone into a black hole though I did see my credit card is charged.

I get this car is unique and of minuscule volume, but it would seem that Tesla might want to give us at least the courtesy of continued updates even if to say "yes we still have your money". Write a crontab job heh..

Reactions: dhrivnak and doug