Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who are currently in the market for new MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly not sure. I had been looking for a couple months to find the build I wanted (or would accept) from inventory. My OA had pointed me to a few, but I usually found them on my own. I had told him, I knew I was running out of time to ensure year end and ordering was my fall back. He pinged me and said - check this one out. It goes into production next week, it was my exact build and was marked down as an inventory car. I'm guessing someone ordered it and backed out, it was marked to go to any dealer as inventory. I ordered it before Halloween to lock in the SC and $1K offer. It's on a delivery truck right now.
My OA in Costa Mesa (So Cal), did a great job working to find me the right car.... if anyone needs a recommendation... PM me.

Wacky conspiracy theory: freezing inventory cars is not incompatible with a minor refresh of the car, to be unveiled at the semi. event on the 16th. To preserve goodwill, Tesla might not allow customers to order a pre-refresh inventory car only to find that post-refresh cars are available "soon." Neither would they want a customer to be able to order an post-refresh inventory car in California, which should be immediately available, only to be told they can't take delivery until after the 16th.

Custom builds would not be affected--if they switched over to post-refresh early in the quarter, all U.S. deliveries of custom cars this quarter will be post-refresh, and won't arrive until after the November 16th announcement. This would also explain why slower than usual transport is being used (train).

Wacky conspiracy theory: freezing inventory cars is not incompatible with a minor refresh of the car, to be unveiled at the semi. event on the 16th. To preserve goodwill, Tesla might not allow customers to order a pre-refresh inventory car only to find that post-refresh cars are available "soon." Neither would they want a customer to be able to order an post-refresh inventory car in California, which should be immediately available, only to be told they can't take delivery until after the 16th.

Custom builds would not be affected--if they switched over to post-refresh early in the quarter, all U.S. deliveries of custom cars this quarter will be post-refresh, and won't arrive until after the November 16th announcement. This would also explain why slower than usual transport is being used (train).

I had this concern and initially tried to delay my purchase until the semi event and still make sure I got the car before year end... but...
1. Reasons above... got car, discount, $1k discount, unlimited SC, etc (in theory before it expired)
2. MS sales are doing great - no reason not to "milk the cash cow". If sales actually fell, I would have been nervous, but no reason to make changes to fluff the sales.
3. They have reduced resources away from MS to focus on M3 ,and thus production by 10% - again, you don't bother refreshing if you are so challenged you pull resources.
4. Given #2 and #3 - AND the battery tech for M3 is the future - why refresh the car when a major change has to come within about 18months of the M3 being a viable option. The M3 has newer tech and battery. The MS will have to adopt it once they have the scale to share the batteries and tech - but for now, they have to deliver the M3. Deliver and amazing MS V2 after M3 is rolling strong.

So with all that, I'm back to - focus on AP/softrware with the S team and let everyone else build the M3. AP benefits both platforms and if you dont deliver AP you have an angry mob of disillusioned MS buyers who wont come back for MS2.0. So no change.

Of course... I could be wrong, what do I know.

Has anyone been able to order an inventory car? My OA says they're all locked and not purchasable.

I think there's a (typical) mis-communication going on inside Tesla (surprise,surprise).

If they are all "locked and not purchasable" -- then someone else at Tesla is constantly adding new Inventory cars to their website for sale. So which is it?

I tend to find most OAs don't know what's really going on at corporate.

I also don't buy this constant need to justify that this means there is a minor refresh on the way. The semi event is for the semi. It's not Tesla/Elon's style to mix-and-match vastly different product announcements like Apple/Jobs "One more thing...".

Last edited:
Reactions: thegooch49
I tend to find most OAs don't know what's really going on at corporate.

Totally agree! Why would they? It's not much different in any org: field sales and R&D/Product dev are related, but not always tightly. OA's are interested in things they can sell today.

I also don't buy this constant need to justify that this means there is a minor refresh on the way. The semi event is for the semi. It's not Tesla/Elon's style to mix-and-match vastly different product announcements like Apple/Jobs "One more thing...".

I think this is really a response to the fear of buying at the wrong time - thats my concern over the timing of changes. It's like buying an iPhone late summer - who does that? Only Elon doesn't forecast his schedule, so we have to read the tea leaves.

What they explained to me is that they flat out cannot sell them. You can use any means to find them but I was told they cannot sell the cars period. They themselves don't know why... some say it is to focus on model 3 production, others think they are trying to keep inventory and push people towards custom builds so they can make a run in December on inventory vehicles....

Lots of speculations but no answers but as of Saturday my OA said he had a guy come in wanting an inventory car and they literally had to tell him no...

anyone else hear about this?

Was told the same thing by OA a few days ago. Not sure if things are different now, I'm sure these directives change as often as the wind... But to sum it up.

- Website doesn't show all inventory.
- Showroom has inventory for sale that's not listed on website.
- Showroom has inventory that I can test drive, but they cannot sell, that's not listed on the site.

My OA told me they froze inventory as well for a few days. Given at earnings they announced a 10% reduction in MS & MX builds, I suspect inventory mgmt is part of how they will cover it and actually reduce manuf. further than 10% - their goal will be to show a reduction of 10% in sales, freeing up more resources for M3 issues.

I just ordered a car (with a discount) that was pre-prod, but in "inventory". So it is possible to get a discount on them still.

Mine in preproduction also, ordered 11/10. Was guaranteed delivery before end of year. Was told it would start production first week December.

What they explained to me is that they flat out cannot sell them. You can use any means to find them but I was told they cannot sell the cars period. They themselves don't know why... some say it is to focus on model 3 production, others think they are trying to keep inventory and push people towards custom builds so they can make a run in December on inventory vehicles....

Lots of speculations but no answers but as of Saturday my OA said he had a guy come in wanting an inventory car and they literally had to tell him no...

anyone else hear about this?

As per my owner-advisor, they just unlocked a LOT of inventory cars and they're selling left and right. Especially ones with adjustments. I lost the car I wanted by 20 minutes just a few hours ago and went ahead and ordered a different one. Oh well!

At least you got something! What car were you considering?

I was originally looking at a 75 with the midnight silver metallic exterior and ultra white interior. It had 1,233 miles and was sitting at the store in Atlanta. I ended up getting the same exact car from the factory with black exterior. Only con is that it's in transit to Raleigh from the factory so I'll need to fly up and drive it down almost twice the distance. It'll be a fun trip though!

Reactions: BinaryField
As per my owner-advisor, they just unlocked a LOT of inventory cars and they're selling left and right. Especially ones with adjustments. I lost the car I wanted by 20 minutes just a few hours ago and went ahead and ordered a different one. Oh well!

If they were holding back cars produced in November so as not to spoil surprises to be unveiled at the semi. event, now would be a reasonable time to unlock them. New inventory purchses can't possibly be delivered before the event.

When I walked into the local store this weekend, the store manager said that they also recently unlocked bunch of inventory cars. He was able to pull up few for me to compare against my current inventory order (didn't find anything better in terms of price / my requirements) but for those who are still in the market for RWD75, going to a local store could be a good way to explore whats available.

Btw I ordered my 75 on 11/4 and confirmed delivery date is now 11/18. Thought it was going to take way longer as the car wasn't completely built yet, very impressed with the turnaround.