Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those that paid for 60kWh to 75 kWh upgrade, was it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really dont see the upgrade being worth over $1,000 to me. Those extra few miles are only valuable on long range trips. I have not had a single situation where I thought "I wish I had those extra 40 miles".

I also wouldn't charge my car to 100% if I had the 75. Those extra 40 miles are really 15 miles. $7k for 15 miles is definitely not worth it. Id pay $1k just to have the badge change, but not more than that.

Reactions: bonaire
Of course, Tesla can easily force is all to buy the 75 upgrade by merely crippling our 60s (limit it to 60 instead of 62.4 kWh, slow the charging rate in SW above 90% of 60, etc.). ;) They should have done that from the beginning; the "60" was just made way too attractive and that's why they need to kill it.

The correct price for me is $3000 for the current 62.4 to 72.5 kWh upgrade.

Rent or buy upgrade ... two ideas for the pricing (I much prefer the rental model below):

Buy Upgrade Bundling

They might bundle upgrades: 75 + Assisted Driving + Full Self Driving for $12,750. That would make it "look" inexpensive: only $2,750 for the extra 10.2kWh from a "60" (62.4kWh usable) to a "75" (72.6kWh usable), or $275 per kWh, which is almost as low as their quoted $250/kWh PowerPack large installation price, but of course being held over the fire pit for the Self Driving at $10,000; alternatively, it could make a $7,000 upgrade for that 10.2kWh also come with only a $5,750 upgrade price on both Driver Assistance & Full Self Driving, which is under the price of upgrading to Driver Assistance. But, I bet that wouldn't get many takers: $12,750 is still a lot of money.

They could bundle other things that "seem" nice but aren't really deal breakers: Fast Charging (72 amps rather than 48 amps) + range upgrade for just the price of the range upgrade and $1,000 off on any Driver Assistance & Self Driving upgrades, so $15,000 instead of $18,900 if you get everything. That's still a huge amount of money.

They could do a tiered discount: 20% more off for every additional less expensive item:
$7000 0% discount for Range (unlocking 100% +10.2kWh charging)
$6000 20% discount for Assistance
$4000 40% discount for Full Self Driving
$1900 60% discount for 72 amp charging
Thus, to get all 4 would be $14,960. Still seems like a lot.

Perhaps the discount could be 25% off for each additional lower priced item:
7000 * 100% + 6000 * 75% + 4000 * 50% + 1900 * 25% = $13,975. Pretty big chunk of money.

Skip the range upgrade:
6000 * 100% + 4000 * 75% + 1900 * 50% = $9,950.

No, that still seems like a lot of money.

Maybe just a flat rate of $12,000 for the whole bundle? That would be $6,900 off the rack rate of $18,900. It might not get many people jumping.

Leasing Upgrades

I thought of another way to do it: feature rentals/leases (even subscriptions). Each item would lease differently because of their nature:
  • Range upgrade is only used a few times per year on long trips, so renting for a day (or 500 miles) wouldn't get Tesla the full value. The minimum lease time for this range upgrade feature would be much closer to 100 days or let's say 5,000 miles, in order to catch people who want to pay this way and not lose the money from them only getting it when they need it. Assume 50,000 miles for buying full price. So, that breaks it up into ten chunks. You could lease the feature whenever you want for ($7000/10)*interest, so let's say 110%: $770 per 5,000 mile chunk as soon as you send in the payment from the touch screen or MyTesla (extending a current rental by 5,000 miles if you already had it). Once you've paid $7,700 leasing, you get it permanently, no more to pay, and that (and banked leases) carries over to next owner.
  • Driver Assistance Features: These are nice on most commutes. Let's assume most Tesla drivers are part time, and commute half time, so that's 25% of the month, or 4 days per week including a holiday. So, to make certain it isn't rented only on "weeks when they commute", the feature could be, let's say, half of the period which would ensnare you 100% of the time, or a fortnight. So, if you rent the Assistance Features package (normally $6,000 upgrade), it would run for 14 days from the second you turn it on (extending a current one by 14 days if you already have it). Let's once again say 50,000 miles for $6,000, so assuming 50K = 4 years (!), or 104 fortnights. That would be $57 per fortnight, and with some interest, let's call it $60 per fortnight. It's basically $30/week if you look at it like that, but the minimum time period would be a fortnight so Tesla could make enough money. All you would have to do is read a few articles on TMC about people who didn't pay the $60 who crashed and realize it's worth it. When you're not working, you save the $130/month you'd otherwise spend on the feature. Ditto on carry-overs to next owner.
  • Self Driving. I ditto everything I said for Driver Assistance Features. Since it's about 1% of the full upgrade cost, then it would be $100/fortnight for Driver Assistance + Self Driving, or $40/fortnight for just Self Driving if you already have Driver Assistance. Ditto on carry-overs to next owner.
  • When Tesla Network (Uber-Like self driving taxi) starts up, you can have an option to also build toward the fully-paid-for status of both assistance and self driving features by having the Tesla Network reimbursement take out a % for the feature, pay-as-you-go, also at a rate of about full reimbursement within 50,000 miles. This would also add to the amount paid that you might have elected to pay for yourself per fortnight, so both would build toward full ownership of the feature.
  • 72 Amp Charging: It's $1,900 to upgrade. Let's once again think of it in terms of when you would need it. Since you would have to catch people who barely need this and would get it on the cheap incrementally, let's extend this to a whole year, or 12,500, divide 50,000 by 12,500 to get 25%, so $500 to have it for 12,500 miles. Since I don't think this feature needs to be bought by everyone, and it's not a huge butter for Tesla, they can afford to charge less for the leasing of it, and allow smaller leasing chunks. So, I'll actually break it up similar to the Range Upgrade, at 5,000 miles, so that would be $1,900 / 10 = $190, so let's call it $200 lease per 5,000 miles, but once again, since it's relatively low profit, they could really make out by only charging $100 per 2,500 miles. If you bought it 22 times, you'd have it paid for the life of the vehicle. Why bother get it at all, you say? It can be a checkmark "add on" for the 5,000 mile $770 extended range, and Tesla could make $970 for the bundle for the full 5,000 miles, for camping trips and other trips. You'd also use just it (for $100 for 2,500 miles) when you have a lot of overtime and errands and you just need to have peace of mind. You're coming home late, getting up early, have plenty of overtime money, and just don't need the hassles of slower charging, so spend about $50/week in a week when you're making $300/week extra to have peace of mind. Pretty quickly, you whittle away those "amount to fully upgrade" on this feature, and within 2 years with a few overtime seasons, you might be looking at only $500 or so to "buy out the rest of the feature" and Tesla gets $2,200 instead of $1,900 for the upgrade.
I think leasing the features would be a better way to get revenue on them, but the numbers would have to be designed well to catch the money and make it financially worthwhile to those who wish to get it by getting them right at that time-period cusp between long enough to eliminate occasional users getting it for almost no money and it being too expensive for regular users to pay for.

Last edited:
I drove a six week old fully charged Model S from Hays, KS SC to Goodland, KS SC on the way to Denver last week in 24F into a reasonably strong wind. I had to drive the speed limit (a great nuisance for me) and had the heat on very rarely and still only made it with 7%.

I was very glad I got the 75.
Many of us will experience this on occasion, and in my leasing plan, would lease once or twice during winter months, and Tesla would make a bit of their money on the upgrade, and it would fit in our pocket book better than the $7,000 upgrade.
The way Tesla can cash in is by dropping the price a little (e.g., $6000) and announcing that in a month they will drop the upgrade (or raise the price to >$10,000), so it would be a now or never deal. That will flush out all potential upgraders. I don't see anything in the original 60 offer that PROMISES a 75K upgrade, and certainly not for a monotonically decreasing price.

I (and I'll bet a lot of 60 owners) will continue to pass for anything more than $1-2K as long as we believe that the opportunity to upgrade will always be there and getting cheaper over time.
The sales pricing page says you can upgrade it after delivery for the stated price in that page. That's a contract, made at the time of purchase, for what was listed on that page when purchased. (Everyone saved that page when they ordered, right?)
Considering Tesla wants $11k to unlock an MS 40 to a 60 (and another $2k to enable SuperCharging)... that's not such a bad deal...

$13,000 / 20kWh = $650/kWh
$ 7,000 / 10kWh = $700/kWh

The 40->60 upgrade is a few % cheaper, in that view. I assumed 20kWh for the 40 -> 60 upgrade (false assumption?)

Last edited:
I was pleasantly surprised by the highway range of my 60D so the only way I would upgrade would be to keep the free supercharging on a longer range vehicle. To be honest though I think I would just save the money and use it to do an aftermarket battery upgrade later.

Yup, and on long trips where you're supercharging, you almost never charge to 100% from supercharger to super charger yet with the 60, you get the taper curve of the 75 which means that if you needed to charge to 85% at a supercharger on your 75 to get to the next stop, charging to 100% on the 60 would take the same time as it's really 85% of the 75.

Reactions: Ulmo and jlutzwpi
So, bottom line, for those that made the switch, are you glad you made it?
Yes, it was worth it. We ultimately discovered that there were some routes that were just barely doable for us with the 60. A strong headwind meant we were stopping at a L2 charger. With the 75, those routes are now easily doable at the speed of traffic.

Basically, with the 60 we had to plan and drive more carefully than one would typically do. With the 75, we *know* we can make it and that peace of mind was worth every penny of the upgrade price.

Also important to note, as the density of Tesla and non-Tesla DC charging networks improve, that difference in range will become less and less relevant.

Right now we live in a near constant "last gas for 100 miles" situation. As that number decreases until every other offramp has at least 45kw charging the value of that extra 15 advertised kwh will reduce significantly.

Now a big question is how long it'll take VW and Chargpoint to deliver on their DC charging networks and will the VW stations even be accessible to Teslas.

Example: My S2000 had about 200 miles of range, I wouldn't have paid anything for a bigger fuel tank.

US6%20NV%20Next%20Gas%20163%20Miles%20-_DSC2078.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
I have a 60 rear wheel drive in Australia and agree with many in this thread, if it comes down to $3000 US then maybe, but at $10500 Australian here it's not worth it to me. You could buy a decent petrol car as an emergency stand by long distance car for that money!

Curious at some of the comments here which say the 60kw portion of the battery doesn't degrade. If that's true it would mean one day there won't be the extra 15kw to unlock - it would all have degraded and you would have been given the extra for free. Surely Tesla would have thought of this?! Cheers

Yes, it was worth it. We ultimately discovered that there were some routes that were just barely doable for us with the 60. A strong headwind meant we were stopping at a L2 charger. With the 75, those routes are now easily doable at the speed of traffic.

Basically, with the 60 we had to plan and drive more carefully than one would typically do. With the 75, we *know* we can make it and that peace of mind was worth every penny of the upgrade price.
I also had a headwind that made me scared I wouldn't make it one day, and spent too much time at a campground getting charge. Turns out, I would have made it fine, but very very close to empty. I'd want the upgrade if I think it is worth it to me, but right now, I don't see spending $7,000 on it.

If I start going that way every week, I would want to upgrade.

But, if they filled in more DC faster chargers, then I wouldn't need to upgrade at all.

Right now, neither are true, so once again, I don't need to upgrade.

Back to the original question, it was worth it to me. That is all that counts for me. There are no Superchargers within 2400 miles of me and on a range charge I often get back with less than 40 miles remaining as a 75. I basically bought a 75 in two parts for roughly the same total price.

What rated mileage does your 75 show @ 90% and/or at 100%? Asking as a 60/75 owner who might upgrade some day.

Right now, the upgrade makes no sense at the current price, but some SC road trips appear to go from marginal to comfortable with a 75. However, I feel the actual capacity gain isn't justified (62.4 to 72.5, roughly) given the slow charge from 90-100%. I'm very satisfied with my 60 that charges quickly to 100%.