Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those owners unhappy with drop in maximum charged range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another example of balancing in action:

balancing.png

My wife is heading out on a trip today, so I did a range charge this morning. The REST logs show my maximum rated mileage at 267.1, which was achieved at 8:42 am according to the car... however, you can see the current still ramps down from ~11A over the next 22 minutes, until 9:04, where it shuts the HPWC off. No climate control during this time.

After this weekend's trip, I'll see whether it recalibrates the maximum mileage - this will be the first time this refurbished battery is taken down to an SOC around 20%.

Nevermind the gray line at about 6-7A, that's a bug in the teslams visualization software that makes the box surrounding the graphs too short.

Also, for the other discussion on charge current backing off, note the variability in voltage - the fluctuations here are several (2-4) volts and are not triggering a back-off. This is why I say that I don't believe the Tesla to be over-sensitive and that those affected by back-off need to try and narrow down the bottleneck in their infrastructure that's causing a much bigger fluctuation.

Huh? I think you're saying there is no user-discernable impact of pack balancing? I thought this was "the" way that people would see their range "returned" to their UI. Are you saying the REST logs lie, or that balancing doesn't have this effect, or something else? :confused:

I'm saying that the information given by the log isn't sufficient to come to any conclusion, or make any kind of meaningful assumption. While it does give more precise numbers than the dash display, there is no new information that we can use. The only sure way to get at this information would be to look at the BMS voltages screen behind the password.

Here's another example of balancing in action:

My wife is heading out on a trip today, so I did a range charge this morning. The REST logs show my maximum rated mileage at 267.1, which was achieved at 8:42 am according to the car... however, you can see the current still ramps down from ~11A over the next 22 minutes, until 9:04, where it shuts the HPWC off. No climate control during this time.

I'm not sure that's balancing. On the Roadster balancing happens after the charge finishes, when it then starts to bleed off the highest bricks (the section after 9:04am on your graph). The 22 minutes look like a continuation of the ramp down to me, but I agree it's strange the range doesn't increase over this time. Even if it was balancing you'd think the range would tick up, since power is still going into the pack.

I'm not sure that's balancing. On the Roadster balancing happens after the charge finishes, when it then starts to bleed off the highest bricks (the section after 9:04am on your graph). The 22 minutes look like a continuation of the ramp down to me, but I agree it's strange the range doesn't increase over this time. Even if it was balancing you'd think the range would tick up, since power is still going into the pack.

Good points. Perhaps the Model S inverts the balancing algorithm and tops-up? We just don't know. Maybe it's not balancing, but I am at a loss to explain what the ramp-down is, then... you couldn't hear the cooling fans or pumps running during this time, so it's not load induced by that.