Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of us WITH center console USB ports

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. This may be a simplistic question, but haven't been able to get a direct answer from Tesla.

I have USB ports in my console for devices, music players, etc. I know that years ago, any external SSD drive you used for music had to be formatted to FAT-32, or the car would not recognize it.

I've been reading some posts that now say Tesla is compatible with ExFat format. Is this true?

I just bought a new SSD, and want to know if I can use it right out of the box in its native ExFat format,or do I still have to format it to Fat32, first.

This is NOT for the cameras or sentry mode in the glove box. So, no partitioning needed. Purely for music through the center console.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm not looking to record. As I said, this is Not for sentry or cameras. Only for music playback. And mine definitely support data in the console. I've been using it for music for three years. It's just with the higher capacity SSD's, formatting them to Fat32 is problematic

I'm not looking to record. As I said, this is Not for sentry or cameras. Only for music playback. And mine definitely support data in the console. I've been using it for music for three years. It's just with the higher capacity SSD's, formatting them to Fat32 is problematic
The two center console usb c ports are charging ONLY. At least that is true on my 2023 Model Y long range from Fremont.

The two center console usb c ports are charging ONLY. At least that is true on my 2023 Model Y long range from Fremont.
I tried to replace the center console data module with one from www.tparts.com but when I tried to plug in the connecting wire I found that Tesla had removed the USB socket which used to be included under the glove box.

"Best Part Is No Part" except when you also remove functionality.

Attachments

• model_y_2023_no_under_glovebox_usb_data_port.jpg
    model_y_2023_no_under_glovebox_usb_data_port.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 232
@Vicj

If you are talking about a Tesla you bought 3 years ago and are still driving, it has data in the center console, and may or may not have a port in the glove compartment.

If you are talking about a post around Nov 2021 Tesla model 3 or Y, those dont have data ports in the center console (or anywhere else beside the one in the glove compartment) unless you purchase and install something separate yourself.

Reactions: LWR15K
@Vicj

If you are talking about a Tesla you bought 3 years ago and are still driving, it has data in the center console, and may or may not have a port in the glove compartment.

If you are talking about a post around Nov 2021 Tesla model 3 or Y, those dont have data ports in the center console (or anywhere else beside the one in the glove compartment) unless you purchase and install something separate yourself.
The post was a reply to my post which stated that it was a 2023 Model Y from Fremont. The Model y was purchased this spring (2023).

I have data in my center console ports, AND in the glovebox. Glovebox is still devoted to the sentry, I play music in the center console.
Same.

Sounds like you got your question answered though. I didn't do anything special to my drive (didn't format or anything). got it from Amazon, copied music over and plugged it into the center console port. Works like a champ.

Sadly for my new Model 3, I basically took the sentry usb out, partitioned it in ~1/2 and use half for music 1/2 for sentry. Still hasn't filled up, but I wish the new one had data in the middle like my older one does... it still works, but I prefer the dedicated USB for music, just not enough to do anything about it :)

Mine is a 21MYLR, the glove has a USB-A SSD for sentry mode only.
I'm able to plug in a USB-C drive in the middle console to do LightShow, but for some reason I'm unable to see any MP3 I have on it. The drive is formatted exFAT. Does the music have to be in a special folder?

I tried to replace the center console data module with one from www.tparts.com but when I tried to plug in the connecting wire I found that Tesla had removed the USB socket which used to be included under the glove box.

"Best Part Is No Part" except when you also remove functionality.
I have a 2023 MY HW3 and I have the microUSB port underneath the passenger seat footwell. After doing some research it looks like the 2023 MY HW4 cars do not have the USB port anymore by the MCU to do the retrofit. My guess is that you have a HW4 version MY.

Just comparing in this article of what a HW4 computer looks like and looks very similar to your picture.

Last edited:
Mine is a 21MYLR, the glove has a USB-A SSD for sentry mode only.
I'm able to plug in a USB-C drive in the middle console to do LightShow, but for some reason I'm unable to see any MP3 I have on it. The drive is formatted exFAT. Does the music have to be in a special folder?
Quick update. Looks like you can't have Boombox and lightshow on the same drive. I separated them, inserted 2x USB-C in the center console, and now I'm able to access boombox files and my music MP3s from one and lightshow on the other drive. Hope a future update allows both to be on one drive.

Looks like you can't have Boombox and lightshow on the same drive

You can if you set it up correctly. Ideally you should have four partitions on the drive.

• One for Sentry, it requires a folder call TeslaCam
  • One for the Boombox, it requires a folder called Boombox
  • One for Lightshow, it requires a folder called Lightshow
  • And one for music. You can set this one up anyway you want.
I have all mine formatted as exFat

Reactions: Tha_Ape