Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla provide any of this information officially? They make P3D- cars and I assume they have some statement as what was done to make them P3D-, or what makes them P3D- in general.

Nope.

We know what made them P3D- based entirely on what we knew when it was available online.

That is- a P3D+ is a P3D- with bigger brakes, wheels, sport pedals, a 0.39" lowering, and the spoiler.

No real deep technical details given beyond that.

And 0 details at all about what makes a P3D- different from an LR AWD (in 2018) other than difference in 0-60 and top speed (and now availability of track mode) but all of those are software since we know for a fact from the parts catalog there's no hardware differences.

The only thing that crosses my mind is whether the “official” 0-60 for the LR AWD is 4.4, yet it has been supposedly independently tested as 4.0 - or perhaps less. Does this have anything to do with the physical makeup of the cars?

No- it has to do with Tesla being dishonest in how they list their times.

Tesla includes rollout for P cars (not just the 3 they've been doing the same nonsense for years with the S/X).

They do not use rollout when listing specs for non-P models.

This artificially makes the Ps look more-fast compared ot non-Ps than is actually the case.

Tesla, briefly, managed to list the 3 honestly when the P/AWD launched- but increasingly that appears to have been an accident.

They listed the P at 3.5, and the AWD at 4.5.

Then a few months later magically changed the P to 3.3 (the rollout number) without making any change whatsoever to the car.

They dropped that to 3.2 (and the AWD to 4.4) after the first 5% software update.

Meanwhile back in reality the AWD was doing 4.0 if you measured it the same way as the P (and as confirmed by not just owners here- but car magazines).

Every other car company either uses rollout for all their cars (most american companies for example- and american car magazines generally) or they use it for none of their cars (BMW for example which is why folks who don't understand this is going on always claim BMW is "sandbaging" in their official specs because the car mags always get better numbers than BMW claims)

Tesla as I say is the only one I know who measures differently depending on the trim of the car (and makes it really hard to discover they do it too)

If it’s an official trim of Model 3, doesn’t Tesla have to report to the EPA or FTC what it is that they are selling?

Of course anyone at the showroom or delivery center knows nothing. They barely know how to tie their shoelaces.

They have to report the efficiency estimate for EPA (and they do)

And there's a few basic things that have to be on the window sticker that tell us nothing relevant to this discussion.

That's about it though.

Just my opinions....

First, $4-$5 Million is not "chump change", "small potatoes", or "pennies" to any company regardless of their size or that dollar figures relative size to their revenue. That is not even close to a good enough reason for Tesla to NOT offer this paid upgrade on LR AWDs.

Second, I believe the 980s were binned and I am willing to believe that the highest performers were put into the ($11,000) more expensive 2018 Performance Model 3s, at least I hope they were for the price difference at the time. However, I can't believe that binned motors and/or inverters are 30%-40% higher performing than the average performer for the same part. If the binned motors can provide a 3 second 0-60, the average performers could likely, at least provide a 3.5 second 0-60 - likely faster. This means the LR AWD is still software limited and is not tuned for optimum performance under the current software. So, an unlock is likely possible.

Lastly, someone is going to look sheepish eventually, and its looking so far like its us (those hoping for a paid performance software upgrade). Let's just keep hoping Tesla comes through and takes all of our thousands of dollars from us. Wait, what?

• Disagree
Reactions: Krash
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and have seen posts mentioning things like P3D-, Stealth, etc. Looking to learn about Tesla beyond what everyone knows and maybe get myself one next year. Is there a “get started,” FAQ, guide or anything where I can learn more about those and what they mean?
Thanks!!

All Teslas are software limited. Even the 2020+ roadster will be software limited: torque, power, rpm, top speed. All limited on every car. Just higher limits for more expensive cars.

the second part of the sentence you quoted is more important than the first. I’m just saying i still believe they are intentionally limited to be slower than their optimum performance in order to create performance separation vs. the performance model 3.

I am in the doubter's camp. It is a lot of trouble for Tesla to implement an upgrade and the money and goodwill are small compared to the massive backlash Tesla would get from performance owners who paid higher prices. Not to mention the long memory of the community when roadsters or performance model Y are released

I totally expect the 980s to be repurposed as Stealth models, only after they get traded back into Tesla, not before

I am in the doubter's camp. It is a lot of trouble for Tesla to implement an upgrade and the money and goodwill are small compared to the massive backlash Tesla would get from performance owners who paid higher prices. Not to mention the long memory of the community when roadsters or performance model Y are released

There is precedent. Tesla "uncorked" early S75Ds, dropping the 0-60 time a full second and making them faster than the original P85. This was not an OTA update; it required a visit to SvC and a manual effort by techs. And they did it for free!

By contrast, assuming that 980 AWDs can be software upgraded to P3-, doing this as a (possibly paid) upgrade from the owner's My Tesla page would be simple for any cars manufactured before they switched to 990..

The issue I see with this is how the resulting vehicle would be classified. Is it a different model for registration and insurance purposes? This was not an issue with the uncorked S75D since from that point all S75D had the new specs.

Even more important, would we get the red underline on the trunk? I'd pay extra not to have it.

There is precedent. Tesla "uncorked" early S75Ds, dropping the 0-60 time a full second and making them faster than the original P85...
Yep. I am well versed in that. And Tesla did a second uncorking batch as well. I don't think Tesla's experience with that was super positive: meaning I think the complaints about the original 1 July cutoff, 75 RWDs not getting uncorked, 100s not getting as uncorked and why did some older 75Ds not qualify, that was so much hassle that many inside Tesla consider the community ungrateful as a whole.

PhatCat. You grab $2k in cash and I'll do the same. I'll meet you at the Mt.Kisco service center at 12:15. I'm sure some tech can get our cars made stealthy for a quick $4k. lol

....kidding....but PM my if serious! lol

Back in the day I basically showed up with my S75D which was right on the cusp of un-corkability. They said it was not eligible but did not show me the appropriate byte code. Since it was on a two year lease and I had an early Model 3 reservation I didn'r push. Other than to turn in the S and take delivery of my 3 i haven't been back, even though i live 5 minutes away.

Reactions: phantasms
IT’S HAPPENING

Attachments

• 442DB101-7581-4370-8A79-59C23F2C1B61.png
    442DB101-7581-4370-8A79-59C23F2C1B61.png
    324.2 KB · Views: 93