Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My view is somewhat hypothetical, and the ludicrous upgrade comes to mind, as well as various models that have been uncorked. If you can flip a feb bits and increase the amount of max current going to the inverter, you end up with more power. Sort of like adding nitrous with a few mouse clicks at Tesla. This added performance requires that everything in the current path, like the wire gauge, contactors, connectors, etc handle the increased load, without premature failure. With talk of the million mile electric power train, it seems like the upgrade of AWD to P spec is technically possible, but I think Tesla is looking at the impact on Performance 3 sales and value, as well as long term wear. I can also see AWDs being converted to P3D- while owned by Tesla so they can sell as performance models. I’ll bet they are still thinking about potential service and warranty issues and hoping they don’t end up with increased drive unit failures like the older Model S. My opinion is Tesla will not upgrade AWDs for current owners to P spec, because, among other things, who would buy a Performance Model Y. It all depends on pricing which seems to change weekly.
Are you saying we, P3D- owners, will get Ludicrous? :| kidding. But if they are already selling (re-introduced 7/15) a P3D- again, doesn't that mean that AWD owners should be able to bump up to P3D- as they already own the vehicle and it should not affect other sales? going forward, i would say, sure, anyone that has the option of getting a P3D- today but chooses an AWD, then oh well. But i guess now that i type this out, maybe they don't want to muddy the waters and make things complicated. I do hope it happens, as I have 2 friends that would bite that bait in 2 seconds if the opportunity arises.
With Ludicrous, the drive-train was truly a performance motor whether you got it or not, so it was a no brainer for Tesla, especially at $20k.

Just some thoughts, I drove a P3D today, it did feel quicker off the line. However, didn’t feel that big of the difference. I think all these stories we hear of the P3D- are the honeymoon stage of the car. But having an AWD is still pretty quick. If they offer paid upgrade I’ll still do it. If not, I’ll wait till they upgrade the 3 to ludicrous to make it even more special. As of now, I can’t justify the 15k+ difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised nobody asked Elon on twitter or he has not replied yet about this.

Plenty of people have. Just do a quotes search for "LR AWD" and you'll see him tagged in lots of tweets going back for the last month or so. But Elon get's so many things tweeted at him, I'm sure it'd still be easy for him to not see unless a single tweet gets a ton of likes and then pops up in his feed. Not really sure how the Twitter algorithm works tbh. He could also be ignoring it for one reason or another and maybe something is planned for us? In zyzz we trust.

Just a though can't see it mentioned anywhere, but has anyone considered it might not technically be legally possible changing a model from LR to P- as it is going to have some affect on insuring the car for example and not sure how the regulations work with first registering the vehicle. This might explain why its possible through software to upgrade to P3- but can only be offered when new ie the inventory with tow bars in Norway

After first registration, at least in UK, it will be classed as a modification not change of vehicle. So yes, you need to inform insurers and tell them of the modification and hope that your insurers are happy to handle modifications and without excessive financial penalty. Theoretically, they would just insure it as a Performance model, but many insurers simply do not like modified cars, no matter how official, so it will probably severely limit your insurance options - at very least they will probably want to refer it to their underwriters. Last car I modified, I had to get an engineers report.

In Denmark - The AWD's I have checked have the exact same registration as Performance (same ~340kw / 455hp and other values on the official papers - you cannot tell them apart).
I would believe Tesla has done it in the same way also in other (European) countries.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Interesting. In Switzerland, the AWD is 350 kW so there is also room for some upgrade.
So you are saying the AWD at 350kW has about the same power as a Performance at 358kW? How is that possible and what is your source?

EDIT: After reading the post before yours I think you are saying it has a registration???? that allows it to be 350kW and still be legal??? We don't have any such registration stipulation in the US so not sure if that is what you meant.

So you are saying the AWD at 350kW has about the same power as a Performance at 358kW? How is that possible and what is your source?

EDIT: After reading the post before yours I think you are saying it has a registration???? that allows it to be 350kW and still be legal??? We don't have any such registration stipulation in the US so not sure if that is what you meant.

Yes. The registration in (some of) Europe lists the max possible power and it’s the same as the Performance. So upgrading it won’t be an issue (in regards to registration, insurance and so on). :)

Yes. The registration in (some of) Europe lists the max possible power and it’s the same as the Performance. So upgrading it won’t be an issue (in regards to registration, insurance and so on). :)
So this means the car MUST be able to have that much power OR it just can't have more than that amount. If latter then it is meaningless as far as scaling up the power. If the former then is Tesla legally obligated to up the power????