Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
stealth.PNG
FYI: The P3D- is back....sorta....

If you attempt to configure a P3D right now, you get this on the wheel selection page:

Not sure what that means for brakes or suspension, or if there are new 18s they're using that clear the Performance brakes. I'm just sharing what I found...........

But if this is true, the petition is going nowhere for a while. They pulled a demand lever with the 18" wheels.....you're not getting a software unlock just yet.

View attachment 430332 FYI: The P3D- is back....sorta....

If you attempt to configure a P3D right now, you get this on the wheel selection page:

Not sure what that means for brakes or suspension, or if there are new 18s they're using that clear the Performance brakes. I'm just sharing what I found...........

But if this is true, the petition is going nowhere for a while. They pulled a demand lever with the 18" wheels.....you're not getting a software unlock just yet.

Yeah we are all waiting to see what the "upon request" means, whether it's a P3D-, if there's a price adjustment for going that direction, etc.

I would disagree with your conclusion, however. If the P3D- is back on the menu for an extra $2k over the LR AWD, it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to sell the same software upgrade to existing AWD owners. Especially now, the idea of trading in a relatively new LR AWD is unpalatable. Tesla addressed the demand issue for new buyers, and now there's a clear path to extracting all that additional revenue from existing owners.

Reactions: Scott7
Yeah we are all waiting to see what the "upon request" means, whether it's a P3D-, if there's a price adjustment for going that direction, etc.

I would disagree with your conclusion, however. If the P3D- is back on the menu for an extra $2k over the LR AWD, it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to sell the same software upgrade to existing AWD owners. Especially now, the idea of trading in a relatively new LR AWD is unpalatable. Tesla addressed the demand issue for new buyers, and now there's a clear path to extracting all that additional revenue from existing owners.

Well, again, it took over 6 months to merge the code base of P3D- into the P3D+ code, so that we all got Track Mode.

I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for a quick turnaround, even IF it's something they approve. Their history has nothing to suggest it will be done in a timely manner.

Reactions: MXWing
Well, again, it took over 6 months to merge the code base of P3D- into the P3D+ code, so that we all got Track Mode.

I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for a quick turnaround, even IF it's something they approve. Their history has nothing to suggest it will be done in a timely manner.

The "inside source" earlier in this thread said wait for Santa. That seems about right. Fingers crossed.

I just called in to modify my order to an M3 performance with 18" aero wheels and they said it will take a few business days to see the details in my account. The guy on the phone knew no details. So I'll post details when I get them if nobody else has by then.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I just called in to modify my order to an M3 performance with 18" aero wheels and they said it will take a few business days to see the details in my account. The guy on the phone knew no details. So I'll post details when I get them if nobody else has by then.
Back when P3- was available, the 20" Wheel upgrade included larger calipers. So it would make sense that if you request a 18" aero wheel, it will come with the smaller non-performance calipers but you would keep the P3 track mode. It seems like P3- is back on the menu.

JEvWsCBjAx6fm0oPhUiAHjgdg1jWC0XnbtNNZdh6qLO55a3Qw-Dn7KRKXG0-8pzc2yMFHyYnLgXWsV5c3bMqL7onUm8TixTfTan3tyCm5FnRIjTQUXF0ML0aRKHt03FRQEJLRDWP1jzXjAS4IMfndZmwI83tl7VdqzHJMffpj2oqRhtVQF65ycegOZSOzBJlGoTXKuiL5QrlHbu_x-3zVTOUGnkiGft0Hi787wHl8GQnuNaniTNym8vHdTLx32YigxkveZ1-m-0wtELiVamrsUaeRc6pT-TWZPv3IsVb-ey0jMtc7NKs9Ud-xKsyB-i7HgGaoSkozfpR6axWFk1T6l849-oGngLO7j0iVYS391VoOxpGN8vEVgd783s9hc3fMo8T1TLQEzLrFalIZskRoekyaKF2xMJJYpiUuLQ5PX-Ey0375I57F93yppSWXDy6OgxrLylQ21vwVoeFQ5BD6PqoKjIutGvb1mhy7H-dZeE70OCoWb0CN7_h06QJE8U-rqyiJL5JQuRt2NuSXRZhT2EElWlMNYNM4aE1eKogTiMxXbrSOdZIzY_IcGf-YjEEVOQeYXTUsXHJ_elSXjpVlRIrYIc5xePnuf5pKFREFTbjk24xjCW9APLyaQV7Te1ssrO4kuDFStSEWpERgM1CH2VDmvNLUdTbTIQctAmjHGofg3UFyI9bkau77u8Q_AeiZ4DBv5RGfzCowGscjqwPOMAVzQ=w1478-h683-no

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I think it's very possible that the 18 Inch Aero Wheels available upon request go over Brembo brakes. It seems that the early Tesla 18 and 19 inch wheels did not fit because the Brembo brakes needed to have a counterbored hole around the hub. It appears that @Goosby has documented in this thread that 19 Inch Sport Wheels from late 2018 have counterbored holes that match the 20 Inch Sport Wheels while the ones from early 2018 didn't.

Tesla states 19" OEM wheels NOT compatible with P3D+

A simple counterbore in the hole of the 18 Inch Aero Wheel should allow it to fit over the Brembo brakes if that is the limiting factor.

I also bet that the tires on the P3D with 18 inch wheels will be Michelin Pilot Sport 4. A Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4 in 235/45R18 started appearing on Tire Rack several months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: ConcordeSST
I think it's very possible that the 18 Inch Aero Wheels available upon request go over Brembo brakes. It seems that the early Tesla 18 and 19 inch wheels did not fit because the Brembo brakes needed to have a counterbored hole around the hub. It appears that @Goosby has documented in this thread that 19 Inch Sport Wheels from late 2018 have counterbored holes that match the 20 Inch Sport Wheels while the ones from early 2018 didn't.

Tesla states 19" OEM wheels NOT compatible with P3D+

A simple counterbore in the hole of the 18 Inch Aero Wheel should allow it to fit over the Brembo brakes if that is the limiting factor.

I also bet that the tires on the P3D with 18 inch wheels will be Michelin Pilot Sport 4. A Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4 in 235/45R18 started appearing on Tire Rack several months ago.

Very interesting, I was just looking at that tire: HERE

It's possible, but I'd be surprised if Tesla is introducing more manufacturing + supply chain + logistics complexity with these changes. A counterbore is simple in isolation but creates a cascading effect of things to manage.

It's possible, but I'd be surprised if Tesla is introducing more manufacturing + supply chain + logistics complexity with these changes. A counterbore is simple in isolation but creates a cascading effect of things to manage.

I don't think a counterbore adds complexity. It just becomes a new revision and it supersedes old revisions. Wheels with counterbored holes will fit all Model 3s.