Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First V12 drive this morning. 20 mile commute, no overrides! (first time for me)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So. Much to the annoyance of some folks here, I have been very negative on FSD (v11). The random lane changes (4-5 on my 20 mile commute) made it unusable for me. I am very happy to report that I was updated to v12 over the weekend and it took me from my driveway to work without me once having to intervene. I could have been asleep the whole drive. I am super pumped - this is such a big improvement. My commute is about 12 miles surface streets and 8 miles freeway and it handled it all very well. I have oft said the Ford Bluecruise is better than anything Tesla had to offer. Not any more. IMO, Tesla has now re-taken the lead on autopilot technology. I did initiate an early lane change in a couple places - taking advantage of a break in traffic so I wouldn't have to squeeze in later - but never dropped out of FSD. Oher than that it was perfect.

That other thread is now 368 pages deep…personally, I’d rather see a new thread.
By setting up notifications, just the unread posts would be flagged. If this thread OP was put there, it would be flagged. So one does not have to read 368 pages.

Edit:
I don't wanna step on anyone's toes, so reporting my wish is totally unnecessary. Let the ecosystem grow is just fine. ❤️

Reactions: mborkow and JB47394
By setting up notifications, just the unread posts would be flagged. If this thread OP was put there, it would be flagged. So one does not have to read 368 pages.
Right…but then every time a new comer to the thread asks a question or makes a comment that was covered in those previous 368 pages some member of the forum will jump on them for not having read them.

Reactions: rlsd and zoomer0056
Similar experience here. My big check is my wife's reaction. She has always despised FSDb up until this release

It's certainly a game changer, and I'm pleasantly surprised. First drives that my wife actually trusts
Same here. She has forbidden me to use FSD when she is in the car but that is primarily due to the braking profile. That, too, is much better (doesn't wait until the last second to start braking) so I suspect I will get her seal of approval "OK, fine" :)

Doesn't this belong in the current V12 thread? Maybe a moderator should do a thread merge.

FSD v12.x (end to end AI) FSD v12.x (end to end AI)
I really don't anticipate this becoming another monster thread - should die in another day. I'll chime in on that other thread, too. I'm in so many forum, I forget which ones hate monster threads, which ones hate necro threads, and which ones hate redundant threads, etc. Won't offend me if they want to merge this but probably just let it fizzle out.

So. Much to the annoyance of some folks here, I have been very negative on FSD (v11). The random lane changes (4-5 on my 20 mile commute) made it unusable for me. I am very happy to report that I was updated to v12 over the weekend and it took me from my driveway to work without me once having to intervene. I could have been asleep the whole drive. I am super pumped - this is such a big improvement. My commute is about 12 miles surface streets and 8 miles freeway and it handled it all very well. I have oft said the Ford Bluecruise is better than anything Tesla had to offer. Not any more. IMO, Tesla has now re-taken the lead on autopilot technology. I did initiate an early lane change in a couple places - taking advantage of a break in traffic so I wouldn't have to squeeze in later - but never dropped out of FSD. Oher than that it was perfect.
Did you get v12 on one of the 2018 models listed in your posts? I've yet to hear about a non-refresh model getting v12 (still waiting for it with my "ancient" 2019).

Thanks

Got Sunday morning.
1711463187137.png

Doesn't this belong in the current V12 thread? Maybe a moderator should do a thread merge.

FSD v12.x (end to end AI) FSD v12.x (end to end AI)
I couldn’t figure out what those guys were talking about over there ……… so I’m chiming in here.

Got v12 right before my regular 350 mile trip to see grandkids and was pretty excited. Performance on freeways was excellent (although V11 was pretty good there too). EXCEPT ….. I always disengaged V11 when approaching exit ramps because it induced high levels of anxiety. NOT SO wth V12. It slowed down appropriately while approaching the exit ramps and drove a reasonable speed on the ramp. Same with interchanges, which were “exciting” in V11. No issues with V12 ……. Except one, where even I think the striping that marks the lanes is confusing. Very happy start.

Driving around town today was a game-changer. V12 is a huge leap forward from V11. Navigated some confusing and ambiguous intersections very smoothly. I am very happy with the new version and have a sense that improvements might accelerate from here.

I will say that the car tends to stop later for stop lights/signs and accelerate much harder from a stop than I do. Not sure if I had it on Chill or not. I’ll confirm before engaging next time. Maybe we need a “senior” or “old guy” setting. 🤣 My driving style is WAY smoother than V12 ….. but I can tolerate it. Wife probably won’t. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: TjckTock
I couldn’t figure out what those guys were talking about over there ……… so I’m chiming in here.

Got v12 right before my regular 350 mile trip to see grandkids and was pretty excited. Performance on freeways was excellent (although V11 was pretty good there too). EXCEPT ….. I always disengaged V11 when approaching exit ramps because it induced high levels of anxiety. NOT SO wth V12. It slowed down appropriately while approaching the exit ramps and drove a reasonable speed on the ramp. Same with interchanges, which were “exciting” in V11. No issues with V12 ……. Except one, where even I think the striping that marks the lanes is confusing. Very happy start.

Driving around town today was a game-changer. V12 is a huge leap forward from V11. Navigated some confusing and ambiguous intersections very smoothly. I am very happy with the new version and have a sense that improvements might accelerate from here.

I will say that the car tends to stop later for stop lights/signs and accelerate much harder from a stop than I do. Not sure if I had it on Chill or not. I’ll confirm before engaging next time. Maybe we need a “senior” or “old guy” setting. 🤣 My driving style is WAY smoother than V12 ….. but I can tolerate it. Wife probably won’t. 🤷‍♂️
The car is still using the old stack on freeways. V12 is new on city streets...maybe exit ramps as well.

Like all of us here, I've used FSD beta long enough to get a good sense of what it can handle and what it can't. My various local commutes are filled with situations that it can't handle, from choosing the wrong turn lane on a recently repainted road to a highway on-ramp that was a real white-knuckle experience. There are also a couple of local four-way stops and roundabouts that could prove troublesome. Rather than let the car lurch its way through these areas I'd just take over.

I've only had V12.3 for a couple of days, but so far it's handled every one of the "V11 couldn't handle this" situations perfectly. I can see from reports here that this isn't the case for everyone, but so far I'm very impressed.