Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla UNDER 3.0 seconds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, the tyres are a bit oddball, very narrow for the power/weight of car, and stickier rubber helps balance this out. I think you'd have to be a bit careful going much larger rolling radius at the front as there's really not much clearance.

I have no idea what would happen if you had different rolling radius front to back. I know some ABS systems pick this up as a fault, but then you have the complexity of the second motor trying to spin in unison in a Tesla, so probably a doubly bad idea :D
P85 doesn't get ABS issues with diameter differences, D might be the same regarding this.
I wonder with a D and different front/rear diameters what the Tesla would do? In a P85 you either need to turn off TC or wait a day/few trips for it to get the regen working or the car not thinking it is spinning the rear wheels. then it is fine and no need to turn ff TC for it to work properly.

The D might be the same. It should be able to deal with differences in diameters due to tread wear between fronts and rears so I'd imagine you could run different diameters front/rear. There might be a sweet spot in different diameters based on the peak power rpm of each motor and gear ratio.

..and of course if you don't care about being stockish - remove all seats and whatever other weight you can + mirrors and tape cracks

While you are at it with removing seats, carpets and so on... Remove the whole body and drive only the skateboard with a seat strapped on top :)

At 2500 Lbs and 700 hp it should do pretty well 0-60

This is actually close to what I dream of doing but I with a wrecked P85 (Have sketches of my 1 seat autocross Super S. It would need to be non-highway op certified by Tesla or something somehow. not sure about that part
..back to sleep..er work, must dream more:tongue:

Would be really cool!

..and you can pretty much chop the S at the front and rear wheel and make it quite a bit shorter. of course it will still be a wide car (especially w/ 12 inch wide rims) You can also change a lot w/ the aerodynamics and cooling. moving the radiators to the rear. add downforce + probably even lower the Cd a bit. definitely reduce the frontal area.

I am pretty sure I could make a < 3s P85

..and you can pretty much chop the S at the front and rear wheel and make it quite a bit shorter. of course it will still be a wide car (especially w/ 12 inch wide rims) You can also change a lot w/ the aerodynamics and cooling. moving the radiators to the rear. add downforce + probably even lower the Cd a bit. definitely reduce the frontal area.

I am pretty sure I could make a < 3s P85

Piece of cake. Then remove the driver and save another 200 Lbs :) Just radio control it with hobby RC equipment. It has been done with many other cars.