Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

First Signature and First Production Delivery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, I'm not quite that mad. Feather duster?

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of days ago, I would have said the same. Let's just say there has been a very strong hint directly out of Tesla US. I'm happy to be proved wrong. But I am, unfortunately, confident that the launch will not be until October. And I believe this despite the fact my status has changed to 'Your Model S Signature is being prepared for pickup or delivery'. My brother has spoken to a few Tesla people in the USA recently. He was told that this status does not necessarily mean that the vehicles have even docked yet. They could still be on the water. And even if the vehicles are in Australia in September, they will not launch until they have all their ducks in a row.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings guys. And I hope I have gotten this completely wrong. If I'm wrong and they do launch in September, I probably won't be here. Anyone interested in going as my body double?

Look mate I'm Chinese but I'm willing to undergo cosmetic surgery for you.

I have to say, I think Tesla's customer service is lacking. Their communication so far reminds me of a company that no longer exists.

I can see no reason why they cannot communicate directly to their customers, outlining what is happening. Communication could be as simple as saying deliveries will be made in order of reservation, based on current reservations we expect your delivery to be made in the week of XX/XX/XXX. Or compliance issues have delayed deliveries. They could excite their customer bases, simply by talking to them, perhaps even sending them a T-shirt or company hat. It is really rather simple to do.

For me every time someone asks “has your car been delivered?” followed by, "do you know when" and my answer is "I have no idea", it makes Tesla look incompetent. Any car company in the world, are able to tell a customer the expected delivery date of their order.

I have to say, I think Tesla's customer service is lacking. Their communication so far reminds me of a company that no longer exists.

I can see no reason why they cannot communicate directly to their customers, outlining what is happening. Communication could be as simple as saying deliveries will be made in order of reservation, based on current reservations we expect your delivery to be made in the week of XX/XX/XXX. Or compliance issues have delayed deliveries. They could excite their customer bases, simply by talking to them, perhaps even sending them a T-shirt or company hat. It is really rather simple to do.

For me every time someone asks “has your car been delivered?” followed by, "do you know when" and my answer is "I have no idea", it makes Tesla look incompetent. Any car company in the world, are able to tell a customer the expected delivery date of their order.
Agree.

....... But I am, unfortunately, confident that the launch will not be until October. And I believe this despite the fact my status has changed to 'Your Model S Signature is being prepared for pickup or delivery'. My brother has spoken to a few Tesla people in the USA recently. He was told that this status does not necessarily mean that the vehicles have even docked yet......

I am pencilling in the 7th October - that's the day I fly to Denver...

I think Tesla would be the first to agree that they can do things better. I'm not trying to give excuses, but I think the current service levels need to be put in context:

1. Australia is really not that important a market to them - all their focus is on US, Europe and China. I mean, even Japan has more attention than us, even though the government actively pushes hydrogen fuel cell technology, and we will probably end up having more orders than them.

2. As a result, the entire thing is being run by a very small group of people. Down here in Melbourne, there's only one guy, Matt, who has to pretty much do everything. I know he's putting in 110% but it's just physically impossible for him to do everything.

All of this results in poorer than expected communication and a lot of radio silence, delayed deliveries and service centre doubts.

I think as Tesla begins to see just how good the Australian market can be for them, they will turn things around. By the time the Model X and Model 3 come around, I'm confident it'll be a well oiled machine. You just need to look at the improvements made in the US market to see this potential.

Anyway - I'm just as frustrated as everyone else, but I think our frustration needs to be put into context a bit.

1. Australia is really not that important a market to them - all their focus is on US, Europe and China. I mean, even Japan has more attention than us, even though the government actively pushes hydrogen fuel cell technology, and we will probably end up having more orders than them.
we haven't exactly sent them positive signals, all the countries you've mentioned above have government purchase incentives. the i-miev and leaf have been available in the country for over 2 years now and haven't exactly enjoyed success. (don't argue they are lesser cars they sell more LEAFs in the USA per month than there have been sold in the Australia year to date).

That is correct in theory and probably will be in Australia...but, in NA there were some production cars delivered before some of the later Sigs as I recall. Set off some controversy. I think TM learned from that experience and it won't happen to you.

That could be interesting if the deliveries in other states are delayed until the service centres are in place. That would mean that the production cars are a looong way away for Sydney and Melbourne drivers, which really wouldn't make a lot of sense. I suspect that the sig deliveries in each state will be first, followed by the production cars. I'd hope that Tesla talks to Sig order holders from other states to explain.

The style and level of communication is very reminiscent of my last ICE purchase. They too took twice as long as promised. I'm a recent production holder so have nothing on you guys. But this isn't the experience I signed up for. I don't have the time nor patience for this game. I was told delivery in spring. Let's see what happens but I'm worried based on the signals and feelings of others.

Anyway, sorry to fan the flames. For all we know it could all be just around the corner.

For some unknown reason I decided to not tell anyone apart from my wife and kids (sworn to secrecy) that I was getting a Tesla. I really just wanted to show people in the flesh. Many times I have almost blurted it out. I'm kind of glad now I've done this as I too would be sick of the questions.

The HK forums show that it is about 7 weeks from "in production" until actual delivery. US forums also talk about delays after the factory start up, but are now almost back to normal. Obviously for a launch event things will have additional delay.

What does all this mean? Buggered if I know! By the time I get my non-sig, but early prod, Tesla it should have really good seats, ionizers to ionize things, iPhone remote steering, different coloured paint, larger visors, head-liner in any colour, excellent cup holders, 120kwh battery and autonomous driving. Yee-haa.

and by Christmas :)

I wonder if I'll qualify for that $10,000 government EV subsidy? Sorry, now I'm getting really silly .......

If there is an salvation, this seems to be Tesla approach to every launch. It was the same in Hong Kong. Everyone was frustrated, and then angry at the lack of communication. The local reps know/say nothing of any consequence. And then finally a launch date appears out of the blue and all is forgotten, if not entirely forgiven.

I do feel for the early sig holders. To know that their car is probably sitting in storage somewhere would be extremely frustrating.

For some unknown reason I decided to not tell anyone apart from my wife and kids (sworn to secrecy) that I was getting a Tesla. I really just wanted to show people in the flesh. Many times I have almost blurted it out. I'm kind of glad now I've done this as I too would be sick of the questions.

The HK forums show that it is about 7 weeks from "in production" until actual delivery. US forums also talk about delays after the factory start up, but are now almost back to normal. Obviously for a launch event things will have additional delay.

What does all this mean? Buggered if I know! By the time I get my non-sig, but early prod, Tesla it should have really good seats, ionizers to ionize things, iPhone remote steering, different coloured paint, larger visors, head-liner in any colour, excellent cup holders, 120kwh battery and autonomous driving. Yee-haa.

and by Christmas :)

I wonder if I'll qualify for that $10,000 government EV subsidy? Sorry, now I'm getting really silly .......

For a minute I thought you were pulling the flying pig squadron out of the hanger again.....but I can see even that would be futile!

I saw this on the HK forums:

Delivery process - diary and opinions - Page 9

Basically, one of the early owners there had their centre screen malfunction after 14 days of ownership. Reboots did not help, and the screen + computer module had to be replaced.

It was not a huge deal because the service centre was able to fix it quickly and easily.

But it WOULD have been a huge deal if there was no service centre support or if the service centre was not properly set up.

That's why I think having the service centres up and running before cars are delivered is vital. Imagine how frustrated you would feel if you DID get the car, but then couldn't drive it after a week?

I saw this on the HK forums:

Delivery process - diary and opinions - Page 9

Basically, one of the early owners there had their centre screen malfunction after 14 days of ownership. Reboots did not help, and the screen + computer module had to be replaced.

It was not a huge deal because the service centre was able to fix it quickly and easily.

But it WOULD have been a huge deal if there was no service centre support or if the service centre was not properly set up.

That's why I think having the service centres up and running before cars are delivered is vital. Imagine how frustrated you would feel if you DID get the car, but then couldn't drive it after a week?
Yes, BUT - they HAVE had years to organise this!!! Stone has been in-country since March, and while he obviously can't do things alone, head office could and should have provided whatever backup he needs to get the thing going!! Essentially, he is the "event planner", depending on others to play their role. He is indeed, i believe, doing his best, BUT, is the company helping or hindering the effort? Who knows!! As to deliveries, the company has been known to fly in labour from overseas temporarily to help out with the initial rush - they did that in Europe, and the side benefit is that it provides training for the local team.

Went past the service centre this morning here in Sydney. Absolutely no sign of life from outside - the place was locked up tight, and no light shining behind the door. Did not knock or anything. However, it certainly does not seem as if they are moving out or anything. This was at about 11.30 am.