Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Signature and First Production Delivery in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that the first sigs have been built, then the 'launch event' cars are already built and on the water.

I expect the remaning sigs will move into production soon after the shutdown completes. Still plenty of time to get them delivered prior to sept 30th.

We might get a clue at the earnings call at the end of the week
Heres hoping you are right!! I really think it is high time the uncertainties were eliminated. It is quite cruel, the way things are now. As sig #9, i certainly have heard nothing yet!!

To get this thread back on track, our launch event. My guess is that it will be before September 30. I think they want to get in during the third quarter. This is certainly doable provided construction of our vehicles begins soon after factory reopens early August.

The launch event will likely be 1-2 weeks after the first cars arrive, and that will be in 2 weeks. Therefore I expect the launch event will be at the end of next month.

End of August fits well with the HK launch, where there was 41 days from first cars going into production until the launch event.

They never publicized the date until about two weeks before launch day though. So we probably have quite a wait yet before before we see confirmation.

End of August fits well with the HK launch, where there was 41 days from first cars going into production until the launch event.

They never publicized the date until about two weeks before launch day though. So we probably have quite a wait yet before before we see confirmation.

Yeah, I anticipate we will be waiting until mid-August to find out as well.

The launch event will likely be 1-2 weeks after the first cars arrive, and that will be in 2 weeks. Therefore I expect the launch event will be at the end of next month.
So far, we only know of 2 cars having been built, and both for the same family. There were 8 cars delivered at the HK launch. I am sig 9, and I understand that sig 7 is in the same position - neither of our cars has gone into production (at least not in our dashboards, or by personal communication from Tesla). Sure, Simons car has also probably been built. But who else? 3 cars would be a pathetic launch and none of those 3 are in Sydney anyway. (assuming the launch would be in Sydney as the longest standing service centre in Australia).

So far, we only know of 2 cars having been built, and both for the same family. There were 8 cars delivered at the HK launch. I am sig 9, and I understand that sig 7 is in the same position - neither of our cars has gone into production (at least not in our dashboards, or by personal communication from Tesla). Sure, Simons car has also probably been built. But who else? 3 cars would be a pathetic launch and none of those 3 are in Sydney anyway. (assuming the launch would be in Sydney as the longest standing service centre in Australia).

Simon has 2 and you're actually sig 11 as the Brown brothers weren't included in the numbering system. My guess is Mike-Cannon Brookes and another owner or two.

So 4th August is about to dawn in California....

Do we all rush to our dashboard in the morning just in case - but we really don't want our cars scheduled until the production line gets sorted do we?

But wait - aren't the dashboards updated manually? In which case our cars could be in production tomorrow and we may not know......I think I will go to bed and sleep soundly.

Good night
David

Sigs September, early others October.

Tesla-time. It's like Fiji-time. Don't stress and you'll enjoy it a lot more :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would be a lot cooler, and definitely possible based upon the high-tech nature of the plant, to allow us to know the exact time when our vehicle enters production. You could even have a count down figure until it enters the plant. That figure will be available in their production planning system.

Then have pics/cams of your car under production as it goes through each step in the process. I bet most owners would love (and pay for) a collection of snaps of their 'baby' being born. (Stamped, sprayed, roof added, interior put in, etc, etc).

It would keep the punters super-excited, solve a massive communications issue and even generate revenue. It also would be SUPER-COOL. Elon? It's not rocket science!

Sigs September, early others October.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it would be a lot cooler, and definitely possible based upon the high-tech nature of the plant, to allow us to know the exact time
Then have pics/cams of your car under production as it goes through each step in the process. I bet most owners would love (and pay for) a collection of snaps of their 'baby' being born. (Stamped, sprayed, roof added, interior put in, etc, etc).

I'd love that.

I think it would be a lot cooler, and definitely possible based upon the high-tech nature of the plant, to allow us to know the exact time when our vehicle enters production. You could even have a count down figure until it enters the plant. That figure will be available in their production planning system.

It would keep the punters super-excited, solve a massive communications issue and even generate revenue. It also would be SUPER-COOL. Elon? It's not rocket science!

This is one of the best posts I have read for a while. I hope the TM stalkers here will forward it to the right place in TM.

I would write +1 but that is a magnitude of an understatement.

The only problem is that Tesla are already understaffed but it's definitely a cool idea that I hope they would implement.

I think it's a good idea in theory for sure. But it's all a matter of corporate liability and hassle.

If you knew exactly when your car went into production, then you would work out a time for when the car should be finished production. What if that date is different to what yours DS has given you? Would the DS need to argue with any owner that said "but I saw it go into production!". What if your car had issues during quality control and needed to be fixed, would some owners want a different one because they're worried about ongoing quality issues, even if all the issues were rectified? You'd probably see a few of those.

And that's only the delivery date. If we had pics or video of our cars being assembled - that opens a whole new can of worms. I can just imagine the questions/comments from owners:

- "why did he screw that thing that way"
- "that panel is not aligned properly, I saw it on the production line!"
- "why is that guy taking a break instead of putting together my car?"
etc etc

I don't think Tesla would want to open up their production line to that kind of scrutiny, regardless of what we want (and I personally would love it!).

Maybe it's just because I'm also in manufacturing so I see worst case scenario, but if I were Tesla I don't think I would throw open my doors like that...

I think it's a good idea in theory for sure. But it's all a matter of corporate liability and hassle.

If you knew exactly when your car went into production, then you would work out a time for when the car should be finished production. What if that date is different to what yours DS has given you? Would the DS need to argue with any owner that said "but I saw it go into production!". What if your car had issues during quality control and needed to be fixed, would some owners want a different one because they're worried about ongoing quality issues, even if all the issues were rectified? You'd probably see a few of those.

And that's only the delivery date. If we had pics or video of our cars being assembled - that opens a whole new can of worms. I can just imagine the questions/comments from owners:

- "why did he screw that thing that way"
- "that panel is not aligned properly, I saw it on the production line!"
- "why is that guy taking a break instead of putting together my car?"
etc etc

I don't think Tesla would want to open up their production line to that kind of scrutiny, regardless of what we want (and I personally would love it!).

Maybe it's just because I'm also in manufacturing so I see worst case scenario, but if I were Tesla I don't think I would throw open my doors like that...

Fair points Timpoo, but I always believe that transparency improves process as tough as it may be to face the flaws it exposes.

Yep! And to be realistic, I'm dreaming but it still could be done on some level.

You can do a lot with disclaimers. The ones where you can only proceed if you answer YES that you read them, even if we know that no-one reads the 20+ pages of small print.

And there wasn't any talk about showing every single angle and step, just a few major steps. Photos that are not necessarily super high res. Kind of like doing checks during pregnancy and you can see how the "vehicle" is growing into delivery-ready status. Like pregnancies, so is it for car production, you are not always certain of complications, and the exact delivery date. At least with TM, you can decide the colour, and some other specs :)

It sure would be "sourcing parts for your MS" which I have seen since end of February - and it's still there! Won't go away. Just put something else, PLEASE, like "we found your parts, waiting for a slot in the willy wanker car factory ...". So something, please just not that sourcing parts any more.