Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First post…first cross county road trip…a question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY06423

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2023
LA/CT/KSA
Hello all
Long time lurker..now joined the forum.

We got our MYLR in May and generally loving it. I’ll post some observations later when I’ve spent more time in the car - I work abroad for 60-70% of the time and most of the 1800m have been my wife doing mainly local stuff.

We are driving cross country from CA to CT (3000m) in the first week of September with our two dogs. We have a general rote planned out with 4-5 overnight stops mostly at hotels we’ve used before close to parks and reasonable food offers. Actual route LA - Las Vegas - Georgetown CO - Kansas City - Columbus OH - Gardiner NY - Chester CT. The first and last legs are deliberately shorter for logistics reasons.

Anyhooo…the question…
Using the in-car nav - should I input the whole trip with the stops I need or just each leg at the start of each day? Is it better for the system to know I’m leaving the stop and have another destination planned so the charging is adjusted to manage that next leg? I assume so - but just wondering how other folks have done this?

Generally I’m feeling pretty comfortable with managing the trip and charging etc - I’ve tested it using both the Tesla system and ABRP. Both indicate about 18-19 charging stops in total (gas would maybe be 8-10?).

Any thoughts welcomed!
Many thanks!

Ps. Due to time zones and jet lag my replies might be sporadic and slow. Apologies.

Some just imput the entire route before you leave. Will give you an overall picture of your route and time of travel.

Then, each day you can select your route for that day. Will show you Supercharger stops, time to completion and how many stops you can expect. Throughout the day it will recalculate in almost real time. Changes in speed, elevation, wind, weather etc will be taken into consideration and you are on your way. Very convenient. If you get off the suggested route, it will constantly re advise you on how to get back on track.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Anyhooo…the question…
Using the in-car nav - should I input the whole trip with the stops I need or just each leg at the start of each day? Is it better for the system to know I’m leaving the stop and have another destination planned so the charging is adjusted to manage that next leg? I assume so - but just wondering how other folks have done this?
I generally stop at towns that have a supercharger. Makes it easy to fill up over dinner or after.
I typically just put in my daily stop. As I get closer, I add the next supercharger past my stop ... so as you indicated you know how full to fill the car for the next day.
I've done many road trips in length from 2000 - 6000 miles.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
Some just imput the entire route before you leave. Will give you an overall picture of your route and time of travel.

Then, each day you can select your route for that day. Will show you Supercharger stops, time to completion and how many stops you can expect. Throughout the day it will recalculate in almost real time. Changes in speed, elevation, wind, weather etc will be taken into consideration and you are on your way. Very convenient. If you get off the suggested route, it will constantly re advise you on how to get back on track.
I concur with @Unclepaul. Put in the whole route, then do what you want on the way by inputting any detours, stops, preferred eating or overnight stops and let the on-screen navigation figure out how best to accommodate your desires.
Plugshare.com can help find hotels and restaurants with other charging options if you want.

I drove most of that route in May (I posted it in this forum).
Every morning, I would use the Tesla Nav. to get me to the next motel/hotel stop for the night, preferably with AC charger.
Like others, I tried to minimize travel time by combining charging with bio/food breaks.

I used ABRP to map overall route, and compared it to the actual progress made during the day.

Instead of staying the night in Georgetown, CO, think about driving 15 minutes further to Idaho Springs. It has v3 chargers, a brewery and other restaurants nearby. Charge up to 85%-90%, as you will gain energy driving down hill into Denver.