Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After emailing Tesla this morning, my car miraculously finished production today. Explanation was the factory idled during the holidays. So a light at the end of the black hole is appearing.
Seems like your car got forgotten somewhere but it's great to hear of some progress finally. It was starting to look like I might get my reorder car before you.

- - - Updated - - -

I think mrelbe is the last BH member AFAIK. I will probably report my delivery when it finally comes though technically I'm not in the hole anymore.

Ok, this seems like a good place to blow off some steam... I ordered October 11 (day after the D announcement) full of excitement. Didn't enter production until Dec. 15th which seemed like forever compared to others. Completed production Dec. 27th. Was originally told Dec. 29 delivery. Then told Jan. 3 then Jan. 8/9. Nothing. Others in/around me are getting deliveries which is frustrating me as I feel as though they leave Freemont with a full-load but just can't seem to get my car on a carrier.

My wife and I both work where we don't commute but drive to meet clients daily. We are balancing one vehicle use which is difficult and when needed, one of us is using a Car2Go (like a zip car - pay per use Smart Cars). Compound this with frigid (-20*) temperatures and every time I need to walk in the snow with my suit on to get into a cold Smart Car to go to a meeting my frustration level goes up a notch or three - especially knowing my $152,000 super car is sitting in a lot in California outside the factory just waiting for transport.

That's all... done venting. Will change my mindset and appreciate all the great things in my life as I can't let this break me but it sure is trying my patience. Thank you for listening! :)

Ok, this seems like a good place to blow off some steam... I ordered October 11 (day after the D announcement) full of excitement. Didn't enter production until Dec. 15th which seemed like forever compared to others. Completed production Dec. 27th. Was originally told Dec. 29 delivery. Then told Jan. 3 then Jan. 8/9. Nothing. Others in/around me are getting deliveries which is frustrating me as I feel as though they leave Freemont with a full-load but just can't seem to get my car on a carrier.

My wife and I both work where we don't commute but drive to meet clients daily. We are balancing one vehicle use which is difficult and when needed, one of us is using a Car2Go (like a zip car - pay per use Smart Cars). Compound this with frigid (-20*) temperatures and every time I need to walk in the snow with my suit on to get into a cold Smart Car to go to a meeting my frustration level goes up a notch or three - especially knowing my $152,000 super car is sitting in a lot in California outside the factory just waiting for transport.

That's all... done venting. Will change my mindset and appreciate all the great things in my life as I can't let this break me but it sure is trying my patience. Thank you for listening! :)

I'd be more than annoyed, too. Hang in there.

Its very strange, you seem to have hit your own personal black hole as theoretically the original black hole phase was already done by the time your car started building. That being said I know of a Calgary owner whose car started building on the 13th and was done on the 16th, arrived in Vancouver on the 23rd (sans next gen seats). Your build seems to be longer than normal and now you're in no mans land again. Might soon be time for you to escalate. Seemed like Mr. Elbe's car got forgotten somewhere until it got escalated. I don't think your DS will get in trouble if you do escalate, but you could probably discuss options with him. Also I might suggest that you ask him if you can have a rental car until yours comes in.

I am in a taxi typing this on my way to pick up my D.
Probably one of the last to come out of the "hole"
I'll report back soon!

Nearly forgot about you - still clawing your way out. It appears that Mrelbe may be the actual last now. Maybe we should all chip in and get him a last black hole survivor t-shirt :smile:

Look forward to hearing/seeing your car jg.

That is very frustrating. Hang in there just a little longer and it will be over soon, you'll have the car, it will be awesome, and chances are you'll forget all about this.

Two years ago with my first Model S I was tantalizingly offered a December 2012 delivery after having waited a _year_ for them to start producing the Model S and work through the order backlog to my slot. No guarantees, but they were going to make a big end of the year push. It seemed the wait was finally over.

Then day after day went by. Then December went by. Then it was into January. Very little communication. I vaguely remeber writing "The 5 Stages of Tesla Delivery" here at that time, which went something like:
1. Excitement
2. Anticipation
3. Frustration
4. Dissapointment
5. Fulfillment

In the end, the car showed up January 17th. And it was awesome. Far exceeded my expectations. Any lingering bad taste left in my mouth from the production delay quickly dissipated, and soon was completely forgotten.

It's tough going through the Stages of Tesla Delivery, I know, I've been through them twice, but it will be worth it in the end. Hang in there.

OK got the car, love it so far. So many improvements from my Sig!
No heated wheel or next gen seats.
Drove it in light snow and it's rock solid.
i will say there is quite a whine from the front motor at low speed, off and on the throttle.
I'll monitor that over the next little while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 646
That is very frustrating. Hang in there just a little longer and it will be over soon, you'll have the car, it will be awesome, and chances are you'll forget all about this.

Two years ago with my first Model S I was tantalizingly offered a December 2012 delivery after having waited a _year_ for them to start producing the Model S and work through the order backlog to my slot. No guarantees, but they were going to make a big end of the year push. It seemed the wait was finally over.

Then day after day went by. Then December went by. Then it was into January. Very little communication. I vaguely remeber writing "The 5 Stages of Tesla Delivery" here at that time, which went something like:
1. Excitement
2. Anticipation
3. Frustration
4. Dissapointment
5. Fulfillment

In the end, the car showed up January 17th. And it was awesome. Far exceeded my expectations. Any lingering bad taste left in my mouth from the production delay quickly dissipated, and soon was completely forgotten.

It's tough going through the Stages of Tesla Delivery, I know, I've been through them twice, but it will be worth it in the end. Hang in there.
Ok, thank you EarlyAdopter. I have a nice loaner (rental car) so it isn't inconvenient anymore which has minimized the frustration portion.

I am still at the bottom of the hole. Car is still in Fremont apparently waiting for a full truckload to Toronto.
maybe time to kick up a fuss again. After how long you've been waiting you should be held up waiting for other cars. Obviously that is good practice for normal operations but your car has already been delayed weeks longer than most other December cars.
So long as it doesn't delay mine :smile: