Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first around the world EV race starts May 2012

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This kind of "shipping excl." it's a liitle bit messing around.
I heared of many "80 days around the world" trips, but in my eyes only the total time is the time which is meant by "around the world", everything included, otherwise it's not around the world but just 80 days driving time.
So my trip is an attempt of a world record to be entered in the Guiness book of records ;)
Do you think that I have to take my HPC with me or could someone of you borrow it to me for the trip through US?
CU
Rafael

P.S.: I hope to get an insurance tomorrow, the problem are 4 k.o. kriteria:
1) it's a sportscar
2) worth greater than 70.000 Euro
3) licenced to a non US company - not private
4) It's an electric car

Hello Rafael,

clear, 80 days is 80 days. Daimler wanted 125 days for 125 years of automobile.........in fact the AMS Press guy wrote it were "real 123 days". In 2008 -2009 I ve planned a trip with
a friend of mine to China for PR of german OEM and did lot of research on long distance trips aso.
The current world record BTW is in hands of Gerhard Plattner in an Audi S2: Amazing 28 days !!! Last year he drove again to display fuel efficiency of VW Group cars, 75 years old.

Conc. insurance. I ve asked two US business contacts of mine working in e-automotive for assistance. One is working for emotorsportsnews.com and other one is publisher of Charged Electric Vehicles magazin. Let s see if they come up with good, functional ideas. For good PR they can be relevant too, as well as that AMS freelance press guy who drove the F -Cell ..............

=> send me PN.

Drive safely !

Peter Paul

Hello Rafael,

clear, 80 days is 80 days. Daimler wanted 125 days for 125 years of automobile.........in fact the AMS Press guy wrote it were "real 123 days". In 2008 -2009 I ve planned a trip with
a friend of mine to China for PR of german OEM and did lot of research on long distance trips aso.
The current world record BTW is in hands of Gerhard Plattner in an Audi S2: Amazing 28 days !!! Last year he drove again to display fuel efficiency of VW Group cars, 75 years old.

Conc. insurance. I ve asked two US business contacts of mine working in e-automotive for assistance. One is working for emotorsportsnews.com and other one is publisher of Charged Electric Vehicles magazin. Let s see if they come up with good, functional ideas. For good PR they can be relevant too, as well as that AMS freelance press guy who drove the F -Cell ..............

=> send me PN.

Drive safely !

Peter Paul

Hi Peter,

I'm in NY now charging at Tesla store :)
Hope Press contacts me ;)

CU
Rafael

Hi Peter,

I'm in NY now charging at Tesla store :)
Hope Press contacts me ;)

CU
Rafael

Hello Rafael,

Cool. Did you solve the insurance issue ? Will send you PN with press contacts for e.mobility of mine in US / Canada you can
contact. They are informed roughly about your trip without mentioning your name.

=> You owe me one if they give you good PR...... ;-)

Regards,

Peter Paul

Yeah, I'll owe you two ;)

I'm a little upset that no Tesla driver came to NY to shake hands :(
Well I will be here for some hours more, maybe someone will come ;)

CU
Rafael

Fwd your website ID to James and Markus (F - Cell Tour/ AMS) too => Guess James and Markus both will contact you in short.

How many Tesla pilots has NY area ....... ?

Will go for some dinner now and check out, EMT 20:20

Ciao. Peter Paul

Rafael arrives from New York City and begins charging at my outdoor charge plug while my Tesla and Karma are being charged in the garage.
Photo1.jpg

Morning of May 24 and Range mode charge completed.
Photo2.jpg

Charged Roadster and rested driver all ready to head the the next charge location in State College PA!
Photo3.jpg

I've exchanged a couple emails with Rafael, who expects to be in the Bay Area on Monday, June 4th, and has that day and evening free. I'm trying to co-ordinate a meet-up through the local owner's Yahoo group, but can post details here when we figure it out.

Rafael is in the South Bay right now, charging and resting. He's getting his car checked out at Menlo this morning, and then needs to work on travel arrangements.

The plan is to meet for dinner at Tied House in Mt. View. around 6:30pm tonight (Monday, June 4th). If you'd like to join us, send me a PM.

Rafael is in the South Bay right now, charging and resting. He's getting his car checked out at Menlo this morning, and then needs to work on travel arrangements.

The plan is to meet for dinner at Tied House in Mt. View. around 6:30pm tonight (Monday, June 4th). If you'd like to join us, send me a PM.

Nice restaurant. Shame its 9 timezones away.

Did Rafael get the drive-thru permit for China?

We had a good turnout and a fun time. Some people stuck around for a bit afterwards for the obligatory photos:

RafaelCars.jpg

(sorry for the poor photo quality)

As I type this, I can see via OVMS that Rafael's driving South on 101, just passing San Lucas, probably heading towards the Atascadero Rabbobank and its 70 amp HPC.