Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me just enjoy this moment and say "I told you so" to all the AP 2.0, osborning chicken littles. ;)

Blog out there. AP 1.5 guessers (better with same hardware) win. Those waiting for AP 2, keep waiting. IMO will be many moons.

Say what you will, but there is literally no way he would mention even new cup holders before Q3 ends unless its already in production AND all cars that do not have hardware are delivered and paid for.

Lets say Sept 5 rumor was true... plenty of cars who were built Sept. 4 that have not been delivered yet, and even if they cancel and reorder it will negatively effect q3 numbers and capital raise.

Reactions: yak-55
Say what you will, but there is literally no way he would mention even new cup holders before Q3 ends unless its already in production AND all cars that do not have hardware are delivered and paid for.

Lets say Sept 5 rumor was true... plenty of cars who were built Sept. 4 that have not been delivered yet, and even if they cancel and reorder it will negatively effect q3 numbers and capital raise.
In the past, they have quietly added new hardware and only announced it once they have worked through inventory.

I find this to be the most important improvement in the safe use of Autopilot. Complacency in the use of automated systems on aircraft is one of the leading causes of accidents. And the actions/attitudes of the pilots is very similar, they believe that the aircraft can do a better job than they can (probably true) and that they don't have to engage or pay attention to their surroundings (definitely not true).

From the Slash Gear article:
Tesla is also making the ways Autopilot communicates with the driver more visible. There’s a new flashing white border to the digital driver display if the UI needs to get the driver’s attention, while ignoring alerts will be treated more seriously.

“If the driver ignores the audible alarm more than three times in an hour,” Musk explains, “the driver will have to park and restart in order to re-enable Autosteer.”

That’s in part because, the CEO says, contrary to the belief by many that Autopilot-related accidents are experienced by those new to the system, it’s actually those who get too comfortable with their Tesla taking control that are most at risk.

“Autopilot accidents are far more likely for expert users,” Musk points out. “It’s not the neophytes, it’s the expects. They get very comfortable with it, and repeatedly ignore the car’s warnings … The car will beep at them, they tug the wheel. It’ll beep at them, they tug the wheel. It becomes a reflex action.”

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael

It is possible cars will ship with new harness enabling physical new hardware retrofit. However I predict 2.0 hardware/software a long way off. The magnitude of coding and testing required for 8.0 makes it unlikely that there's an even larger AP development in parallel. I just don't think they have that many AP engineers.

De betere vraag kan ook zijn, wanneer is 8.1 gereed voor Europa (high-def navigation maps) :)

En de bekende 'binnen enkele weken' zijn al gesproken en ruim genoeg om geen aandeelhoudende bezwaren te wekken. Voor het eind van het jaar lijkt me ruim passen :rolleyes:

Interesting first impressions to me:
  • Right, no new HW... At least for now.
  • I really appreciate Tesla doing its engineering thing to improve capabilities that a growing proportion of the existing fleet already has (sorry pre-AP owners!). These are the sort of things that I expect Tesla to keep doing, it's what sets Tesla apart, and it's a huge part of the reason I sold both of my ICE and consolidated to my single MS.
  • I'm really happy to read about varying safety improvements that work in manual, assisted (TACC), and AP mode. The fleet learning elements are interesting of course, but so is the "what happens if you don't have an Internet connection and that data isn't available while you're driving?" Ill reserve judgement on usability and how logical it all is until I see what's provided, but with the 3 articles I've read now (see upthread), it looks promising.
  • The split of what's in 8.0 vs 8.1 is as nebulous as I expected it would be
  • Did anyone else think it odd the official Tesla Blog Post does not talk availability dates or really differentiate between what is in 8.0 vs 8.1? "Next 1-2 weeks" is from the press, not in the company's Blog.
  • A mention of 200 other new/updated things (so minor perhaps in Elon's POV), but no callout of examples like "updated Nav", "major Media Player rewrite", etc. that would appease the less-techie luxury car owner types. We'll just have to see what comes. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: chillaban
The comment Elon made about rigorous testing of AP going forward tells me "someone" (him, customers, regulators???) doesn't think there was enough testing before. Anyone else get that same impression?
Could be. Actually, I think that is carefully worded to emphasize that Tesla will continue to be even more focused as the amount of technology and driver-dependence on those things increases. ...or at least that is the spin I'd put on the answer to your question if I were his Communications Lawyer/VP/Whatever. ;)

The comment Elon made about rigorous testing of AP going forward tells me "someone" (him, customers, regulators???) doesn't think there was enough testing before. Anyone else get that same impression?

Yes, and that would probably be the NHTSA. They still haven't made a statement about their investigation of the AP-related crash. Any additional nanny protocols are likely a result of Tesla's communications and negotiations with the NHTSA over this inquiry. Much in the same way that disabling of air suspension lowering was something that was a compromise born from an NHTSA inquiry that was done in consultation with NHTSA.

It's just a guess, of course, but it seems reasonable.

Reactions: tmarcc and msnow